No announcement yet.

EP45-UD3R + F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK + Q550 stable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A quick question. Even one stick should be able to work consistently on any of the four slots right? I mean one RAM should be able to run on any of them right? While this really really sucks big-time, I really appreciate the assistance. Thanks again. I am gonna RMA it then.

Comment

No, not all the time, sometimes they will only be able to operate in initial slots. So slots 1 or 3, but some boards are able to operate in any slot, so it depends.

Thank you
      GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Here's a quick update.

I put back everything to stock settings, no overclock, nothing. Only thing I adjusted was the latency and voltage for the RAM, which is shown running at 1066, and here are the results.

Single RAM in Slot 4 results in failure of all 4 Workers in Prime95's Test 1 alone. If I leave the latency and voltage on Auto, I would get a BSOD without fail.

Single RAM in Slot 3 results in a BSOD when Windows starts up, or when reaching Desktop.

Single RAM in Slot 2 runs PERFECT! Prime95 advances past Test 1.

Single RAM in Slot 1 runs PERFECT so far. Prime95 just made it past Test 2.

Both RAMs in Slot 2 and 4 results in BSOD at desktop, and failure of all 4 Workers in Prime95, with one keep looping at hardware failure.

Both RAMS in Slot 1 and 3 results in BSOD at startup.

Two questions:

1) Is it possible to just use Slot 1 and 2 (yellow and red), or do they have to be 1+3 and 2+4?
        2) Would you recommend that I RMA the motherboard?

Thanks.
        Last edited by SyCKLe; 10-14-2009, 03:27 PM.

Comment

With the settings in this guide, it should definitely work.

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=1169

You can use Slots 1 and 2, but it operates in single channel instead of dual, so it is not an option.

The memory should be good since they check out individually, so I would assume it is the motherboard.

Try these settings and let me know the results:

Robust Graphics Booster............ [Auto]
          CPU Clock Ratio........................ [ 8X ]
          Fine CPU Clock Ratio................. [+0.5]

CPU Host Clock Control.............. [Enabled]
          CPU Host Frequency (Mhz)......... [ 333]
          PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)...... [ 100]
          C.I.A.2.................................... [Disabled]

Performance Enhance................ [Standard]
          Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).. [Auto]
          (G)MCH Frequency Latch............ [Auto]
          System Memory Multiplier (SPD)... [3.20B]
          Memory Frequency (Mhz)... 1066... 1066
          DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD)..... [Manual]

CAS Latency Time............ 5...... [ 5 ]
          tRCD.............................. 5...... [ 5 ]
          tRP................................ 5...... [ 5 ]
          tRAS............................ 15...... [ 15 ]

Load Line Calibration................. [Disabled]
          CPU Vcore............. 1.18750V.... [AUTO]
          CPU Termination.... 1.200V........ [AUTO]
          CPU PLL................ 1.500V........ [AUTO]
          CPU Reference...... 0.760V........ [AUTO]

MCH Core................... 1.100V... [1.200V]
          MCH Reference............ 0.760V... [Auto]
          MCH/DRAM Reference... 0.900V... [Auto]
          ICH I/O...................... 1.500V... [Auto]
          ICH Core.................... 1.100V... [Auto]

DRAM Voltage............. 1.800V... [2.100V]
          DRAM Termination....... 0.900V... [Auto]
          Channel A Reference... 0.900V... [Auto]
          Channel B Reference... 0.900V... [Auto]

Thank you
          GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Re-installed both RAMS on Slot 2 and Slot 4. No BSOD... yet... but all 4 Prime95 workers went on strike during Test 1 alone. FATAL ERROR something...

Also re-installed both RAMS on Slot 1 and Slot 3, and it BSOD immediately and refused to go even into Windows logo.

So, I guess it's safe to say the motherboard's faulty?
            Last edited by SyCKLe; 10-14-2009, 04:21 PM.

Comment

OK, I just went to RMA the motherboard. They replaced it with a new motherboard immediately. Will put it together later tonight and see what happens.

Comment

OK, here's a quick one.

I put back everything together on the motherboard, ran it at stock settings with only the latency and voltage amended to specifications, and at 1066. Tested one RAM on Slot 1, then both on Slot 1 and 3. Both made it past into Test 2 in Prime95 without a hitch.

I went through the same procedure with one in Slot 2, and then both in Slot 2 and 4. Again, both made it past into Test 2 in Prime95 without a hitch. WOW, really WOW! I still find it hard to believe I had a faulty motherboard!

Anyway, I am running Prime95 now with 4 dedicated workers, and I'll post the results later. Both RAMs are also now running in Slot 2 and 4 with latency and voltage set as recommended (5-5-5-15, and 2.1V), and at 1066. Other settings are stock at 2.83 Ghz.
                Last edited by SyCKLe; 10-14-2009, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Here's the latest:

Prime95 has run for 11 hours, and all 4 Workers are still hard at work. I guess everything's good.

Turned off my comp, adjusted the following settings to values as recommended by GSkill and Tradesman:

(G)MCH Frequency Latch............ [400 Mhz]
                  System Memory Multiplier (SPD)... [2.66D]
                  Memory Frequency (Mhz)... 1066... 1066
                  DRAM Voltage............. 1.800V... [2.100V]

(the following Advanced Timings were stock settings)

tRRD 4
                  tWTR 4
                  tWR 13
                  tRFC 68
                  tRTP 4

Started the computer, and it booted fine. No BSODs or anything. In fact, I just ran Prime95, and it passed Test 1 without problems. So we'll have to wait and see on the results.

Also, the new EP45-UD3R replacement motherboard is Rev 1.1 and BIOS is F6. The faulty motherboard BIOS I had flashed to F11. I wonder if that version was part of the problem?!

Another thing. When I do a "Properties" under "My Computer", it shows 3.40 Ghz as expected after overclocking, but only 3.25 GB of RAM. Is that normal? Used to show 3.50 GB with the faulty motherboard.
                  Last edited by SyCKLe; 10-15-2009, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Not sure of your OS, but seem sure it's 32 bit - Vista maybe? When running different mobos, even the same mobo quite often and with different BIOSs, the mobo will vary the amount of RAM that an 32 bit OS can see. Generally w/ 32 your OS will see 3.25-3.5........you might have a surprise an see a little extra RAM allocated to your video card (or on board video).

To get full use of your 4GB (and more) you'll want to move to 64bit OS, with the release of Win7 coming Oct 22, you might be able to pick up a copy of Vista 64 cheap from someone who upgrades or from someone who just bought a new system that has the free Win7 upgrade.......

It's worth it!

Tman

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Windows XP SP2 32-bit anytime. I am holding back on 64-bit due to software compatibility, some of which I require for stuff. I hope it all gets ironed out with Windows 7.

Prime95 as of this writing is into it's 8th hour, and holding steady. Wonder if it's worth clocking up to 4.2 Ghz from 3.4 Ghz (which was clocked from 2.8 Ghz). Would the changes be noticable?

Comment

oh yeeaaahhhh!!!!! 4+ is a wonderous thing......better yet, your CPU will do it...and on air...but wouldn't go over about 3.6/3.7 with the stock cooler....I'd read back through all your post and see....but have more to check and answer, got a note from GSkill tech today, and they got there e-mal server back up, but have a good size back log, so I'm trying to pick up what I do to help out till they get caught up.

Anyway, yeah, you'll definitely see a difference....

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Alrighty, I am game once this Prime95 passes. Anything I really need to change besides the CPU Host Clock Control from 400 Mhz to 533 Mhz and the corresponding multiplier? How about the (G)MCH Frequency Latch?

Cooler-wise, I am using OCZ Vendetta 2 Triple Heatpipe (I don't trust stock coolers). At the current 3.4 Ghz setting, my System and CPU temps are around 35 and 34 respectively at idle. Man, I just hope my machine doesn't smoke and blow up, that's all (and I've seen my old Apple II monitor smoke lonnnnng time ago).
                          Last edited by SyCKLe; 10-15-2009, 08:58 PM.

Comment

It's one thing to say you have a 'smokin system' , but never want that to be literal, ha ha. May just want to take it up in slow degrees, an Oc like you mention is going from hot to very hot, if done all at once it basically becomes a suicide shot and can break down your thermal compound on the CPU...and monitor temps as you take it up.

I'd leave the frequecy latch as is till your stable, then you migghhhttt give the RAM a try at OCing it, again, a little at a time.

You will probably need to kick up your vCore, and again a bit at a time.

Also you might hit a squirrelly area as you take it up on the FSB where it appears you can't go further, most mobos seem to have an area (and it can very alot), but say between 460-and 470 on the FSB where you appear to 'hit the wall' if it happens, jump it to about +15 from where your at and if it bombs bring it back a little at a time

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                              It's one thing to say you have a 'smokin system' , but never want that to be literal, ha ha.
                              Tell me about it. First instinct, I shut off the whole computer immediately. That was really freaky.

Anyway, on second thought, I think I am gonna hold off on overclocking further, and tinker around with what I have for now. Quick question, how much can I lower my VCore? It's set at 1.29375 for now. I was thinking of trying to reduce the temp a little more if that is possible.
                              Last edited by SyCKLe; 10-16-2009, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Here's another quickie. System passed 10+ hours with 4 continuing hard workers on Prime95 at CPU Host Frequency 400Mhz + Multiplier 8.5 and Memory Frequency 1066.
                                Last edited by SyCKLe; 10-16-2009, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X