No announcement yet.

F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK on MA790FX-UD5P

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Again, I'm sorry, but you're right about the link that I provided.
    Just for kicks, I searched Newegg again, and you're correct, I didn't see any 2x4GB modules.
    That's really odd, because I found results about a month ago when I did the exact same search for myself.
    I also thought about 2x4Gb for my rig, but I just couldn't justify the cost.
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T@ 4.2GHz
    Corsair H50 Hydro (push/pull intake fans)
    ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    2x4GB G.Skill RipjawsX@ 1975MHz, 9-10-9-28 (2T)
    SLI: 2x EVGA GTX 570's@ 902/1804/2032
    Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
    Corsair HX850W Modular
    Cooler Master HAF 922 (200mm side fan)
    2x Win 7 Home Premium (x64)

Comment

It's been quite a while since my original and my follow up posts and queries but I have a new query that is slightly related to this and is partially relevant so forgive me for not creating a new topic.

Basically my RAM while working fine and passing an hours memtest is getting excessively hot. I was wondering if this is due to the voltage. Currently the voltage set by the motherboard/BIOS is the "AUTO" setting but I was wondering if there is a preferred voltage recommended.

Keep in mind I run 4 sticks of F2-8500CL5D DDR2 RAM but rather than running at 1066 it runs at 800 (it runs at this speed automatically from my board) due to AMDs CPU limitation. i'm concerned the heat may/will shorten the lifespam of both the board and RAM and was wondering, if I take it off the AUTO setting and manually set/force the RAM to run at 800 what would the correct timings and voltages be and would I see a drop in heat?

Would this be beneficial, enlighten me
      Do you run an AMD 790FX chipset or higher end GIGABYTE motherboard and an AMD Phenom processor with G.Skill 1066 DDR2 RAM? If so I could really use your input, information and advice over here.

Comment

Always manually set the DRAM voltage to the manufacturers specification in the bios, never set it to auto.
        The voltage setting would be the same for 1066MHz@ 5-5-5-15 or 800MHz@ 4-4-4-12.
        I believe the voltage spec for this model is 2.0-2.10V, but pull a stick and check the white sticker on the module just to be sure.
        ASUS Crosshair V Formula
        Corsair HX850W Modular

Comment

If you want to try 4GB sticks, the egg had a couple 2x4GB sets @ 800 for about $250 a pair, would open you up to trying to run12GB

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by YourNemesis007 View Post
            Always manually set the DRAM voltage to the manufacturers specification in the bios, never set it to auto.
            The voltage setting would be the same for 1066MHz@ 5-5-5-15 or 800MHz@ 4-4-4-12.
            I believe the voltage spec for this model is 2.0-2.10V, but pull a stick and check the white sticker on the module just to be sure.
            I see, using the settings given by the manufacturer cause a BSOD because the RAM cannot run @ 1066MHz on my system due a system limitation. Contacting Gigabyte they suggested I run in the AUTO setting and it's worked fine ever since and only runs hot.

But I appreciate the information you provided regarding 800MHz@ 4-4-4-12. So I guess those would be the timings. Should I run the 800MHz voltage @ 2.0-2.1V? What would I be checking for specifically on that white sticker? Timings and voltages (I thought they always had serial numbers and warranty info, I'm not very observant sorry).

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
            If you want to try 4GB sticks, the egg had a couple 2x4GB sets @ 800 for about $250 a pair, would open you up to trying to run12GB
            ^ That's a great idea as I would be able to run more RAM, but I probably wouldn't need it and this RAM is quite strong enough.

Another question, would running 1066MHz RAM @ 800MHz be of any detriment to the RAM and shorten it's lifespam. It should be fine right, as long as you don't fry the thing.
            Do you run an AMD 790FX chipset or higher end GIGABYTE motherboard and an AMD Phenom processor with G.Skill 1066 DDR2 RAM? If so I could really use your input, information and advice over here.

Comment

The white sticker will typically state the timings and required DRAM voltage.
              Even for 800MHz, set the voltage to the manuafacturers specifications (see white sticker on module).
              There's little performance difference between 800MHz@ 4-4-4-12 vs. 1066MHz@ 5-5-5-15.
              And no, setting your memory to 800MHz@ 4-4-4-12 will not shorten it's life.
              ASUS Crosshair V Formula
              Corsair HX850W Modular

Comment

Originally posted by YourNemesis007 View Post
                The white sticker will typically state the timings and required DRAM voltage.
                Even for 800MHz, set the voltage to the manuafacturers specifications (see white sticker on module).
                There's little performance difference between 800MHz@ 4-4-4-12 vs. 1066MHz@ 5-5-5-15.
                And no, setting your memory to 800MHz@ 4-4-4-12 will not shorten it's life.
                I was thinking if I dropped the voltage the memory would not have to work as hard and thus the lifespan would be improved (switching from 1066 to 800)

Comment

Technically you're probably right, but you will probably have a new computer before the sticks die anyway, and...they have a lifetime warranty.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Well, 2.2v and past 4 years at +248Mhz OC running 1048Mhz still clean. G.Skill DDR2-800 CL4 (o and that's 1:1 ratio, hehe)

Don't exactly think it's gonna short'n the lifetime. Hell we still have like DDR-1 I got like thousand sticks all working just fine and you guys don't even wanna know what voltages those were in in days.

Last edited by genetix; 12-01-2009, 07:10 PM.
                    "Sex is like freeware, shareware on weekends. When do we get to open source?" -TwL

Thanks AMD/ATI for banning legit customers who asks questions of your screw-ups:
                    http://i45.tinypic.com/30j0daq.png

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                      Technically you're probably right, but you will probably have a new computer before the sticks die anyway, and...they have a lifetime warranty.
                      Valid point, I was thinking of the motherboard as well though as I plan to keep the board for a while.

Originally posted by genetix View Post
                      Well, 2.2v and past 4 years at +248Mhz OC running 1048Mhz still clean. G.Skill DDR2-800 CL4 (o and that's 1:1 ratio, hehe)

Don't exactly think it's gonna short'n the lifetime. Hell we still have like DDR-1 I got like thousand sticks all working just fine and you guys don't even wanna know what voltages those were in in days.

Fair enough, I've always though if overclocked RAM has to work harder than normal and it puts undue stress on a component which was not meant to withstand that much stress (if that makes sense).

Comment

Originally posted by Ginsok View Post
                        Fair enough, I've always though if overclocked RAM has to work harder than normal and it puts undue stress on a component which was not meant to withstand that much stress (if that makes sense).
                        Trust me north bridge will "melt" down well before we talk about RAM lifetime.

RAM working hard is actually really good thing. it's the idle usually which kills the components or jams them.
                        "Sex is like freeware, shareware on weekends. When do we get to open source?" -TwL

Thanks AMD/ATI for banning legit customers who asks questions of your screw-ups:
                        http://i45.tinypic.com/30j0daq.png

Comment

Originally posted by genetix View Post
                          Trust me north bridge will "melt" down well before we talk about RAM lifetime.

RAM working hard is actually really good thing. it's the idle usually which kills the components or jams them.
                          Damn, no wonder Gigabyte only offer a 3 year warranty on the board whilst G.Skill offer lifetime warranty on their units. Out of curiosity, what happens when you RMA 3 years down the line, do they have to manufacturer a new piece for the customer because it's not like you can get faulty memory to work again?

Comment

Generally, it will probably be discontinued, but they may have some yet in reserve, if not they for for the closest compatible sticks as to timings original price, etc.

Tman

Comment

Ginsok-

RE: My Falcon 64 a BRICK...

I'm running a Heka core AM3 (unlocked) on the 785G chipset w/4 x 2GB Corsair DDR3 1600 RAM (currently set @ 1333 as it is frequently unstable at rated speeds).

Regarding your inquiry on the Falcon, I am very happy with the performance of this drive. YMMV, but I routinely see read speeds in the 200-210MB/s range and writes of 160-170MB/s using the ATTO disk bench utility. A friend with a better PC sees even higher reslts than this. Very good performance at this price point!

The quality of fit and finish is excellent. The drive is seems very sturdy.

The only issue I've had with it is that performance decreases over time. Running wiper.exe never fails to restore operation to "brand new", except when running under Win 7 x64. Both times I've attempted it, the file system was wrecked and the machine would not boot. I will not use this drive again under Win 7 until reading on this forum that a solution has been found.

This issue is not unique to G-Skill's drive, my understanding (reading this and other forums) is that all SSD's using this version of the Indilinx controller have this issue.

I certainly like it enough to hold on to it until the firmware dust settles and would not hesitate to buy another (used or otherwise) for the right price.

As for your timing issues:

I recently flashed a couple PC BIOS's for the first time in a long time. Boot floppies no more! The procedure is actually quite painless on modern hardware. Much of the risk has been engineered out, many mobo implementions include BIOS recover features that actually work. My old advice was not to flash the BIOS unless it be ABSOLUTELY needed for your application. I now think that advice to be a bit conservative (antiquated). I now believe I'd flash if having only a reasonable assurance that it MIGHT help a particular issue.

Do the research, it appears a BIOS flash MIGHT be the answer for you. I'd urge you not to hesitate pulling the trigger should you find evidence it has worked for others facing similar issues.

Good luck with your quest,

YodaBob

Comment

Yodabob, just wanted to say thanks for your reply.

I'll try to keep it brief but as discussed in my earlier topics I can't get 4 sticks of my DDR2 1066 to run at 1066 because apparently AMDs can't run at 1066 with 4 sticks, only 2. Bit of a shame but although I don't blame G.Skill, as the experience is related to memory it's a bit of a disappointment. Gigabyte should, or AMD for that matter openly state that their product can NOT run at 1066MHz (I'm using AM2+ 9950 BE w 790FX chipset). Basically there's a chipset limitation.

In regards to the more pressing question of the G.Skill SSD, thanks again for your opinion and experiences. I really appreciate what you've posted. It's a shame the performance isn't as stable across all operating systems. Personally, I'll stick with Vista, and given the experiences you are having it may be the best solution.

Do you still suffer from issues in regards to multi tasking in which the performance significantly drops? I do a LOT of web surfing and multitasking, a lot, so I still weigh up pros and cons. Given the performance does drop, is it a parabolic drop in performance or a consistent drop?

I'd like to get more information in regards to buying something 2nd hand, perhaps I'll create a guide. Your experience and the experience of others is cruicial so please, keep it coming

Comment

Working...
                                X