ASrock Z77 Extreme4 - GS Ripjaws Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

further more

Just had to say, im impressed by this memory! these modules are a great deal for the money and for the performance its amazing. I mean if your going to run 2133 often times your cas is above 10 unless you have some really good newer modules and hey, this memory was pushed from 1866 to 2133 stable, THINK IT COULD DO MORE OR RUN TIGHTER TIMING? for fun haha, im already impressed by them. Is there a 16 gb set of this memory I could upgrade to and get the same timings? preferably 2 dims of 8gb or is 4 at 4gb better, likely 2 would be.

Comment

sweet!

great ill check back than or next morning

Comment

Just so happens.....in the 2x8GB 1866, they have a similar, though it's CL10 (F3-14900CL10D-16GBXL), which is on a norm for the higher density 8GB sticks....also at 1866 2x8GB, in particular I like the Snipers at CL9 - F3-1866C9D-16GSR, or if you really want some Bang, take a look at the Tridents in a tight CL8 - F3-1866C8D-16GTX. The Snipers and the RJx both go about $100 and the Tridents about $135.

However for 16GB, in exploring other options - if tit wee me and I was leaning towards the Tridents - at the same price, I'd jump and get the 2133/CL9 Tri's, same price, same basic step, but with the 2133/9 set you should be able to run 2400/10.....the 1866/8 Tri's will prob OC to 2400 also but will require more CPUVTT and DRAM voltage, prob along with a dash of VCCSA, where the 2133/9 set will prob go at pretty much stock voltages or just an additional .05 to the DRAM

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

OK here we go (seems like I've been running behind for days), in the BIOS some other tweaks you might want to try are:

On the OC Tweaker page set both Long Duration Power Limit and Short Duration Power Limit to 500, Long Duration Maintained to 2S, Both Primary and Secondary Plane Current Limit to 300, Additional Turbo Voltage to + 0.008, Internal Pll Overvolatge DISABLED, can normally drop PLL voltage to 1.791 or even lower.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

thanks again.

IM going to try those voltage changes and tweaks you suggested for my board, don't worry about your replys being delayed, haha. I'm playing crisis 3. I need as much power as I can pushing 3d to a 55" screen. Actually my 660 2GB OC card runs it fairly well, for the budget I had. I can already tell later this year ill want a $300+ card and I may want an i7 for the hyperthreading 20% boost it gives this app as well as that ram for 16GB. So I do like the bang for the buck, id favor those tridents and hope they are available later this year lol. Ill post back later once ive tried some tweaks, im also going to try and bring my cpu to 4.5ghz, im running 58-60C max load and 35C at idle...core #0 likes to be almost 5C warmer, so that's my one I watch most lol. so im going to see if I can bring this up faster but keep the cpu at 1.1 v if im lucky.
            Last edited by DonMilagro; 02-20-2013, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Looking good, 4.5 and 4.6 can take a decent raise in vCore, for 4.6 vCore I go to an offset of + 0.085 on mine, but have seen where some need + 0.120

Tman

Comment

4.5ghz config?

Yeah, im having slight issues going with 4.5ghz I have all the settings to what we now established.....all the tweaks you recommended also so we are on the same page. But I have had to clear cmos a couple times trying to boot at 4.5 ghz, I've only gone as high as 1.5v cpu atm and going to try going up to 1.2 or so and see what happens. But quickly and when you have time, what suggestions for 4.5ghz on this asrock extreme 4 board do you have? remember running core i5 3570k so my temps are not exceeding 60C with 4.2ghz full load on prime95 for 1 hr . So yeah...what voltage settings have you had luck with? I had a set cpu voltage and not sure if I am using offset, I think not but please advise when you can...with respect to how busy you are haha.

Comment

4.5ghz UPDATE

ok, so I got it basically. I changed from offset a long time ago and went to "set voltage" when I first started clocking my computer. First off to test minimal voltage bootable at stock cpu speeds than to see how low I could run each speed and Ive had fairly good luck. I GOT 4.5 GHZ AT A SET VOLTAGE OF 1.200v . So whats the advantage to the offset? myself I like working in nonvariable conditions but I'd like to know if you think offset is better and keep in mind I have things like speedstep disabled if that matters. So yeah im picking your brain or asking your setting advice. I've primed tested for 30 min so far and 0 errors in any way. TEMP HITS 61 C max, no core even crossed 61C and im on air cooled, which seems pretty dang good? Also what did some of those "tweaks" you gave me earlier have to deal with, in simple terms I wish to understand the relationship just briefly, namely the long duration power limit and short duration set to 500, what is the value 500 representative of? and the maintained set at 2S, what does that refer to, I see things could go much higher but I wouldn't unless instructed lol. Thank you

Comment

crashed

crashed running crisis 3 after a half hour but didn't crash the system just windows told me the application ran into an error. Not sure if it was stability related on the pc or application only related. Running Prime95 test for a longer duration and trying to isolate what may have happened, Either I hit a bad spot in the gameplay or it has to do with the recent setting changes, either previous "tweaks" or more likely stability on 4.5 ghz. Guess we see but once you do read over my previous posts let me know if maybe I should increase the cpu voltage more or if you think other things may need to be adjusted.

Comment

Sounds like you have it pretty much where you want it,could try raising your vCore (CPU Voltage a tad) which may help with these latest problems (which could also be an app problem, GPU or driver things, or other. The other items all sort of play into each other, offsrt voltage sort of gives a range of voltage for the CPU to use as needed and originates towards the base CPU voltage rather than setting it at a set/static voltage....The with turbo boost out there to feed some extra you can set a specific overvoltage amount (the + 0.008 Long and short duration is another power setting which here is limited to 2S (2 seconds), Power plane is more complicated to explain, but in effect the mobo has what is called TDP (thermal design power or thermal design point) which amounts to a temp that the mobo uses to call everything to shut off. So if you are to exceed the temp the system will shut down, these settings can be left at auto or set lower than I have them but I've been pleased with basically maxing the Plane and min/max and then using the Overvoltage to 0.007 and the time limit to 2 seconds...I'm still experimenting (when I get some free time, which isn't often) so next will be to raise the overvoltage to 0.009 and see what that does temp and stability wise. I'm hoping to get set in at 4.8 or 4.9 (maybe 5.0) before the Haswell line comes out. They have already started production and I'm trying to go through some Intel folks I know to get one early. preferably the 4770K but the 4670K would be nice also.

Tman

Comment

Your awsome man!

dude, im sorry its taken this long for me to further post, I tried weeks ago but the forums had long issues for a few days. Yeah I did go with the offset voltage, set wasn't working like I wanted and im sure if I found a higher setting than it would but I went with the .008 offset I think you told me and worked like I charm. I have this core i5 now set to 4.5 and im in a happy thermal range and not going to push an i5 farther. I do think this year ill upgrade to an i7 for games like crisis 3 and maybe some ram like we talked about. Also my buddy has a huge budget and I sold him on a system he may want to use an evga Titan! and an i7 extreme edition for $1000, ive built one years ago on the extreme, awesome for the money if you have it lol. HOWEVER, id like to talk to you in the future about upgrades for me ram wise like we did and maybe overclocking i7 (can't be much different?) and maybe something if I use this i7 extreme or recommended motherboards for it and ram, that system would be pretty state of the art. TTYL thank u !

Comment

I'm pretty much in and out every day, before you jump to an i7 like the 3770K or whatever, give thought to your budget and time frame Intel will be intro-ing the new line of CPUs (Haswell) scheduled for early June- they will be running in a new socket, the 1150...ASRock already has a line of mobos (and I'm sure others do also) ready to go.

http://www.topix.com/forum/com/intel/T4ABJP4UTEI9PH9G4

I'll be here for any questions I can answer

Tman

Comment

Haswell?

what is this new socket type? what can you tell me about it...? I assume still 22nm? and likely same base clocks or are they higher base clocks? lowervoltage? whats the improvements made for this new socket....damnit...and I just got an ivy for pci express 3.0 lmao thanks for the heads up cuz if I do build again ill be looking at those maybe.

Comment

1150 will house the newest line of third gen Intel CPUs - 'codenamed' Haswell - the next step up in the third Gen line the likes of the 3570K/3770K etc. Tom's hardware has a blurb on them here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Int...CPU,20590.html

and there's plenty of other sites that have info on both, just google INTEL HASWELL or INTEL SOCKET 1150

Tman

Comment

Hey again tradesman, I have a question I feel most confident asking you because I have heard different truths on the matter. Im running the core i5 3570 I think it is, 3.4 base clock and now we have OC to 4.5 and I have never crashed after a few weeks....and we have that 1866 ripjaw oc to 2133 with cas10. So heres my question, do you run air cooled on the cpu or liquid? I have never built a liquid system, and ive build a hand full over the years. To be honest...its nice but more pricey with liquid and makes future upgrades to cpu a bit more of a pain id think, and what is the thermal rating for the i5 IVY chip? I may push mine a little harder past 4.5ghz in the future and am curious what its temp limits are. I only hit about 60C on my air cooled (using the nice zalman 9000 unit, as I have in the past) and it seems to have a cooling ability equal to most non-high end liquid coolers based on temps ive seen from people with some liquid. Thanks! Your help has created a stable speedy machine.

Comment

Working...
                                X