Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

64gb Ram freezing pc during overclock setup.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something just dawned on me Tradesman....the Rampage IV Extreme has a 4 pin power port that supplies power directly to the dimms....u can use the board fine without it.

I have it connected atm....do you think i should remove it and try without it? I thought it would be better to utilize it....but now im not so sure. Whats your thoughts?

Comment

Yes, you want to keep the EPS power connector in, if you had maybe a low end CPU and 4/GB of DRAM it might work with a single 4 pin

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Hmmm now im a bit confused. According to the manual there is only 1 4 pin port that supplies power to the ram, right next to it is a 6 pin that supplies power to the video cards.

I have both of these connected atm. With this mother board there is also a 4 pin connector towards the top of the board and an 8 pin connector which has a plastic cover over 4 of the pin slots. You can pull that cover off to connect a full 8 pin connector. In the 8 pin slot i only have a 4 pin in at the moment but thats supposed to be ok. Would you reccomend using the entire 8 pin slot? If so would 2 4 pin connectors be the same as an 8 pin(never even seen an 8 pin cable...just 6 and 4)

Hope this is not too hard to understand as I am typing this on an iphone.
        Last edited by Nekrage; 05-02-2012, 12:35 PM. Reason: Typos

Comment

The EPS is by the CPU slot and I always use both the plugins, I'll pull down a manual on your mobo to take a look

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Looks like yes the 8 Pin EPS by the CPU is reuired the addition 4 Pin EPS is for additional power to the CPU for OCing if needed, then over by the PCI slots are additional power for DRAM and the other for if you use 3-4 GPUs

Tman

Comment

So the 8 pin port is purely "EPS"? Not even 100% sure what that is but if u say i need it then i will use it. So i hace 4 pins in the 8 pin slot atm...would you recommend using the full 8 pin?

If so....can i use 2x 4 pin connectors to form the 8 pin? I dont seem to have an 8 pin connector...hmm.

Comment

Yes the 2x4 are made that way as there are still many mobos that use a single 4 Pin

Tman

Comment

Well i used all 8 pins..went back and tried all your advice again but no luck.

I am at a complete loss.

Comment

A shame really to spend 5 grand on a pc that runs like a 2 grand one.

Asus has been no help....i suppose tomorrow i will give them and gskill a call.

Comment

Check you PMs

Tman

Comment

Have you tried lesser modules, or DDR3-2133 first to confirm that can work? The memory should be capable with that motherboard by following the XMP guide on the G.Skill webpage.

Do you have the latest BIOS for the motherboard? 1305?

Thank you
                        GSKILL TECH

Comment

I do have 1305 installed perhaps i willl try updating it again. I have not tried 2133. Could this be defective ram?

Comment

I'm not sure, that's what we need to find out. If DDR3-2133, 1866 and nothing works, then it is possible the memory or a module is bad. If DDR3-2133 works flawlessly, then it may just be a voltage/setting problem.

Thank you
                            GSKILL TECH

Comment

It have the same issue with 2133 AND 1866 and Newegg says they will not replace it unless they have a GSkill service number that I can give them for this case.

Comment

Ask them to contact us and we can confirm.

ustech@gskillusa.com

Thank you
                                GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                                X