memtest86 v4.20 setting not same as bios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• memtest86 v4.20 setting not same as bios

Friends, probably a simple answer but about now my brains are lagging behind! having a few issues with new build using old hdd and os(w7pro).. MSI 970A-G46 mb and 4x4Gb of ddr3 GSkill F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR Sniper. on startup have a single 'beep' code, check memory. downloaded memtest86 v4.20 auto installer usb and started running with one stick in #1 slot. 'settings' shows 320Mhz DDR640/cas: 1-3-3-3/DDR2 64 bit... and 4Gb...going back into bios shows RAM as DDR3 1600(default limit for 1866 will show only 1600 i know).. but why is memtest86 showing such a setting? trying to wrap my head around this and getting nowhere.. (other issues were no access to setup in old build, hence new build; new build worked fine for several days, now this morning didn't let me into bios with all new except hdd/os. cleared cmos and got back in; now ram 'beep' code)... any ideas would be greatly appreciated.. thanks reed

Try starting with 1 stick, check and make sure you have the latest BIOS, if not update, if you already have it Clear the CMOS with the Jumper or remove the battery for about 30 seconds. Then install 1 stick in slot 1 , back to BIOS set it up manually for 1600 or 1866 and then try running Memtest. Any problem pops up, kill the test and raise CPU/NB voltage about + 0.05 and let us know what happens, also when you come back let us know what CPU, 4x4GB of 1866 is prob a maybe with an 8350 or 8150 but extremely doubtful with say a 9xx series or most any other

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Tradesman.... thanks for the reply and directions.. i had done as you said prior to my question; however your mention of bios update had me check again, and my version was not the latest. so i tried, and tried, and tried...well i attempted to update to newer version several times through two msi sources and bios still shows old version. i have email to support in twice now and still waiting for a reply to either...will have to wait to see what they say.. again, thanks..certainly hoping this can be resolved without an rma (smaller issues also exist with board i/o panel)...spec's for cpu.. amd fx 6300
      Last edited by turneyreed; 12-09-2012, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Sounds like you may have gotten a bad mobo. keep us updated

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Tradesman... again thanks for your help...am still waiting for response from MSI; 36 hours now for 1-24 hour response time; so much for that 'guarantee'. mb had good review from n*wegg feedback; but have noticed that number of poor reviews and problems with this board are increasing. already checking out other boards to use instead of msi, and glad to see that GSkill is listed as compatible with all of them.. good deal ! will bet back as soon as msi replies with solution... thanks

Comment

We'll be waiting (as you are ), I've never had much luck with MSI mobos and last time I sent an email to ask a question it took about 4 days for a response.

Tman

Comment

Tradesman... and still waiting... but this is how i know whose products i will buy and recommend in the future.. this experience is kind of a sad one; definitely not impressed. last board was ecs and their support, though better than msi so far, was also pretty poor. now looking at mid-grade asus board; good thing, well one good thing anyway, was that this board has n*wegg replacement/refund for it.. but what a pain..i live in small town, pop. 4500, about 200 miles from any bigger stores, so almost all purchases are on the web.. well, back to waiting! thanks again

Comment

No problem, I'm in Tucson (fairly large) but buy the bulk of what I use for client and personal builds through the Egg, isn't much close that comes close pricewise, occasionally I'll take a run up to Phoenix (100+ miles) and check Fry's Electronics, but as long as there, make a couple of side trips to Cabela's and BASS ProShops

For mobos (have used most all the brands a few times) I personally tend to lean to ASRock, Gigabyte and Asus. At this point anyway, I only build on others as a client request/demand

Tman

Comment

Tman- i'm on the east side of the sierra's; little place called bishop. clean water, clean air, haven't locked my doors for 17 years. it's the place where you bring all that gear you bought at cabela's and proshop's to hike, climb, ski, and fish.. my folks are in phoenix, and flagstaff. started coming up here with them in the late 50's (yeah, last century!) 30+ years in construction; things so slow now it's ridiculous. thought i'd be in a lot different shape around now. c'est la vie! i help on an amaz*n home improvement site called 'ask the contractor'. so i know just how much help forums can be and i thank you for your time and efforts on this one. sometimes they can be one of the only sources of help for anyone looking for answers to questions they may have..plus having a fair amount of experience and knowledge just sitting in your brain is a waste without sharing it.. so thanks again; and if i can return the favor, just ask...

Comment

Sounds familiar, in addition to my systems business I have a home remodeling/repair business, learned the trades as a teen and have kept up with them.

Tman

Comment

Tman, finally got reply from msi after nearly three days...i never mentioned a keyboard issue, just a mouse that has to be unplugged and plugged back into usb each startup; but they are asking me about a keyboard problem and have i changed keyboards! and they say that their bios v1.11 is the latest on their website; however in bios utilities/live update, it states that i am running v1.11 and that update to v1.B0 is available for download! anyway, back to running memtest...using memtest86+ v4.20, settings show a ram of '320mhz ddr640/cas: 1-3-3-3/ddr2. went into bios oc settings and changed timing from auto to to cl-9, Trcd-9, Trp-10, and Tras to 9, as per gskill specs. for F3-14900CL9D. restarted memtest and same settings as before...can't seem to find ram voltage in msi 'clickbios2' at all....how to change memtest settings or okay to run as is?? thanks to you again..

Comment

I'd check and make sure you have the latest version of Memtest (which you prob do), but sounds like they have problems with the mobo that they aren't telling folks about. Especially if they 'ask' about keyboard problems

Tman

Comment

Working...
                        X