For MSI P67 series motherboard owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For MSI P67 series motherboard owners

Some have reported issues operating performance modules on the MSI P67 motherboards.

We were finally able to attain working motherboards to test these issues.

Here is what we discovered:

For B3 revisions, nothing worked.

We attempted DDR3-1333 CL7 - DDR3-1600 CL6, CL7, CL8 - DDR3-1866 CL8, CL9 - and all DDR3-2133+ products. None were able to work with stability. Lower performance products such as CL9, should work fine. We are doing our best to assist MSI in any way to quickly resolve this issue. Watch out for BIOS updates on manufacturer website, and check back here as we will provide a follow up.

For B2 revisions, we had some results. The key was to enable XMP, AND manually configure settings. Usually only one is required, but for this particular issue, the temporary solution is to do both. A BIOS update should be in store as well to solve this problem.

Here are some pictures to further explain:
    http://www.gskill.com/pdf/MSI P67 Setup.pdf

Remember, this issue only applies to MSI motherboards. There are no problems with ASUS, Gigabyte, AsRock, or other P67 motherboards. These have been fully tested and approved with our RipJaws X lineup. For example with ASUS P67 motherboards, all you need to do is enable XMP in EFI/BIOS, and ANY RipJaws X memory should work flawlessly. (even DDR3-2000+) For now, we will continue to push MSI for revision.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH
    Last edited by G.SKILL; 05-10-2011, 02:22 AM.

Thanks for the information, where can I find some of these performance issues, as i was going to RMA my board, since alot of stuff has been happening, but what are the issues or where can I find them to root them out.

I have the conflicting ram.

Comment

4x4GB F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

I have all 4 dimm slots filled on an MSI P67 (2 x F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL, 16GB) and constantly had stability issues until I turned it down from 1600 to 1333. Are there any settings I could try to get it back up to 1600? Should I hold out hope that a BIOS update could fix it? I literally swapped out every single part and cable, except the cpu, but nothing would make it stable till I ran them at 1333.

Comment

Crindle,

As far as troubleshooting, it is always the same procedure. Test them individually with the proper settings. If both modules have the same exact problem, then you may be affected by the issue. You can try lower settings/timings, and that should work. Obviously if you have one that doesn't work and the other is fine, it is just a bad module that needs RMA.

vprong,

You purchased two 8GB kits, so it is possible that they don't work well together at DDR3-1600. Try DDR3-1333 8-8-8-24, this should be just as fast as DDR3-1600 CL9.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thanks for the input admin I just got 17000CL9D 4GBXL sticks will post results.

Comment

vprong,

You purchased two 8GB kits, so it is possible that they don't work well together at DDR3-1600. Try DDR3-1333 8-8-8-24, this should be just as fast as DDR3-1600 CL9.

Thanks for the tip. I've been running them at DDR 1333 8-8-8-24 for 24 hours now and no crashes.

Comment

I have a P67A-GD55 and my G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL is NOT stable at 1600 nor with X.M.P enabled but is stable at AUTO setting.

I think the G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL should be added back into the list that needs to be reviewed by either G.Skill or MSI. Perhaps I have a bad unit?

I updated the BIOS to 1.9 through the function that is available in the BIOS but haven't tried the update through a bootable flash drive. I will report back what I find.

Just a side note: If i manually change the rating to 1333 my motherboard still goes into that power loop of instability. Strange....

Comment

Clear the BIOS through the motherboard, then test one at a time. Make a new thread if you continue to have problems.

Thank you
                GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by jouslee View Post
                  I have a P67A-GD55 and my G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL is NOT stable at 1600 nor with X.M.P enabled but is stable at AUTO setting.

I think the G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL should be added back into the list that needs to be reviewed by either G.Skill or MSI. Perhaps I have a bad unit?

I updated the BIOS to 1.9 through the function that is available in the BIOS but haven't tried the update through a bootable flash drive. I will report back what I find.

Just a side note: If i manually change the rating to 1333 my motherboard still goes into that power loop of instability. Strange....
                  About 17% of the boards on newegg are having that power loop problem. It could be a bad board trouble shooting will help. I get mine in 12 hours and I will report back.

Comment

P67a-gd65

I am in a quandary with this. Just completed my system and but for the short 2 beep, sometimes followed by a short single before the POST beep, all seems to be running fine. Memory has passed all stress tests and memory tests (PassMark BurnInTest, PerformanceTest and BIOS DRAM test) with full 16GB of memory shown and tested with 0 errors in multiple tests. Bios is most current update for MSI board (AMI BIOS).

Memory shows correct settings in BIOS setup at automatic setting. I am becoming suspicious that it might be a POST initiation issue vs. a memory issue. Any thoughts on this?

System
                    i7 2600
                    MSI P67A-GD65(B3) MB
                    MSI N560GTX-Ti video
                    Seasonic X 750w PS
                    G.Skill F3-1066CL9Q-16GBXL
                    Win 7 Pro 64-bit

Comment

I have this kit: http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=359

GD65 motherboard.

Cannot set to CL8 or below without instability.

CL7 actually causes the system to power cycle and not be able to get back into BIOS (UEFI).

Posted about it here: http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?to...628#msg1097628

Still not happy the ASUS boards were out of stock. They even had 32GB max memory limit vs 16GB.. /sigh

Hope to see this resolved soon.

Comment

MSI has agreed to solve this issue as soon as possible. We are doing our best to work with them to resolve it. Keep an eye out on their website for details and updates.

As a reminder, for some issues such as boot loop, reset the BIOS with the pins on the motherboard (NOT within BIOS). This can solve some issues.

Thank you
                        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Yeah thats the normal sound during boot. So I put my mem at 1333 and it is stable but I have to run it at 1.6 volts or I lose like 10 fps. It isnt stable at anything above 1333. GOt my i5 to 4.8 stable with a dangerden block. Im just glad that the combo works the P67s mem controller can't handle anything over 1333 anyways. You get little to no gain from mem over 1600 so im cool with leaving it at 1333. Admin if I leave my mem at 1333 with 1.60 volts is that ok? When I drop volts fps drops so theres my issue. As far as the power cycles I saw that when I went to control center and it froze. I then shut it off hit oc genie and it started up again. Don't use control center as of yet or it will send you into that cycle.
                          Last edited by hootbhd; 04-09-2011, 05:14 AM.

Comment

Parts in the mail

I just came across this thread a bit late as I have a MSI P67-45 and Ripjaws X Series 8GB DDR3 1600 coming from Newegg. My question as someone who is building their first PC is what should I do when my setup comes in the mail. Should I return the board and buy something else, or will this setup work at lower settings temporarily until a bios update?

Comment

For example,

F3-12800CL8D-4GBXM.

step 1: update to the latest BIOS version.
                              step 2: set BIOS manually( setup.pdf)

BCLK:100
                              DRAM frequency:1600mhz
                              advance ram configuration
                              command rate : 2
                              TCL:8
                              TRCD:8
                              TRP:8
                              TRAS:24

Dram voltage:1.5V

1.9 version BIOS, you don't have to set X.M.P profile, just manual.

Comment

Working...
                              X