• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS P5Q3 Deluxe and Ripjaws DDR3-1600

Dear G.SKILL,

Here is my current computer specs:

ASUS P5Q3 Deluxe/WiFi-AP @n
    2 each for total of 8GB : G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) F3-10666CL9D-4GBPK (listed in your End of Life page)
    Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz
    VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM SATA
    ASUS ENGTX275/HTDI/896MD3 GeForce GTX 275 896MB 448-bit GDDR3
    Vista Home Premium 64-bit

I am looking to max out my motherboard's memory capacity to 16GB. I do a lot of video and image editing while simultaneously CAD/CAM programing. I use two monitors, both ASUS VW246H 24" at max resolution.

Your RAM configurator reads that I can run the Ripjaws up to 16GB at DDR3-1333, F3-10666CL9Q-16GBRL

Can I use 16GB of Ripjaws at DDR3-1600, F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL Your configurator does not list this species for my motherboard, and well, I was kinda hoping...

Would the jump from DDR3-1333 to DDR3-1600 be worth the jump in speed? As long as I can keep things stable without drastic BIOS changes and loss of processor performance if I had to lower some settings in order to maintain stability.

I do want 16GB of memory. Can you make any suggestions to help me decide.

Sincerely,

Terry.

Considering the prices for 4GB modules between 1333 and 1600 isn't much, the 1600 would be worth it. Although, you will need to overclock the CPU FSB to 1600MHz, which would also provide a nice boost to performance.

The G.Skill F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL should work just fine. Manual settings will be necessary, but we will be glad to assist you with that and help you build a super computer for your needs. =)

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Thank you GSKILL TECH, for helping me. And so quickly, too!

I just ordered what I could afford right now, F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL. I'll order the second half in a month or so.

Yes, I would like very much for some assistance setting up my BIOS to accept the Ripjaws. My memory should arrive in about a week. I'll start my homework now, and I will be asking for some help, I am sure.

Sincerely,

Terry.

P.S. I have been operating two P5Q3 Deluxe/WiFi-AP @n for over a year now, both using the memory I listed above. I think it is a great motherboard, as I have not had even the slightest of trouble. I think your memory is awesome!

Comment

Simply set CPU Host Frequency to 400, enter in all the memory settings, and everything should be fine. This is a good motherboard, so it should be fairly simple and painless.

In fact, I just tested them to make sure I didn't suggest an $800 memory package that doesn't work. =P And like I explained above, popped them in, simple BIOS change, and all 16GB boot up without a problem. I only used a Q9300 too, so an overclocked Q9550 would surely have even more superior results.

Thank you
        GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Dear G.Skill,

Thank you for helping me with my Ripjaws. With two sticks of 4GB DDR3-1600 (set to auto in the BIOS), everything runs great. The BIOS for my P5Q3 Deluxe/WiFi-AP @n really gets crazy with the amount of overclocking available to me. I don't know what 1st, 2nd or 3rd memory information means, so I just stuck with what you said, and a little common sense.

Here is what I did to run my Ripjaws at 1600MHz...

I think I set everything correctly. My system does seem to be running the Ripjaws at 1600MHz. And as evidence from the FSB bump from 333 to 400 , my Q9550 rated at 2.83GHz is now zipping along at 3,400MHz with only a ten degree rise (farenheit) in idle temps. My system is stable and there is a noticable performance increase.

After setting the first line in my Ai Tweeker Page in my BIOS from Auto to Manual here is what I changed....

FSB Frequency [400] ...this was a manual data entry which I typed in myself. It was 333.
          FSB Strap to North Bridge [400] ...I don't know what this does, but I was able to select this from a drop down menu. I could not select DDR1600 unles I set this to 400.
          DRAM Frequency [DDR3 1600 MHz] this was also selectable from a drop down menu.
          DRAM Timing Control [Manual] this was set to auto.
          CAS# Latency 9 (was set at 5)
          DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay 9 (was set at 5)
          DRAM RAS# Precharge 9 (was set at 5)
          DRAM RAS# Activate to Precharge 24 (was set at 15)

The last four entries I thought was the most logical place to input the memory specifications of 9-9-9-24. There were about forty other memory and cpu lines that could be fiddled with, which I did not touch. I left all the voltage settings alone, all set to manual. If I am considered an overclocker now, I consider myself a very mild one.

Again, thank you for your time to answer my letter. I am hoping to install another two sticks of your Ripjaws soon. I am very thankful you have a forum to talk about these things. When you work alone, it is nice knowing there is help out there.

Sincerely,

Terry.

Comment

Sounds fantastic. Glad to hear your system is zipping along. Now you've dipped yourself into the overclocking world. Next step, get a CPU cooler with the additional 4GB, and you can overclock to 4.0GHz+ with 16GB of memory at DDR3-1600+. =P

Then run all your video/sound editing with CAD/CAM programs simultanously, and see if it lags! doubt it! Not to mention you could do this 24/7 with the aftermarket CPU cooler.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

16gb @1600

Hi,
              sorry for digging up this thread, but I based my recent purchase on this thread:
              I have a P5Q3 Deluxe (Bios 2105) running a X3360 (xeon Version of q9550).
              Now I just bought the quad-kit you mentioned (not 800 $, but still not the cheapest)., but can't get it to run @1600Mhz.
              Everything on auto works fine. Everything else I've tried so far results in the PC not booting or in some other cases Windows not starting. Auto results in 1333Mh though.

Please help me (as specific as possible) how to set up everything so 1. the ram runs @1600Mhz and 2. (if this is optional) the CPU is not overclocked. (probably same settings, just lower Multiplier?!?!)

I'm not a noob on the sector, but the P5Q3 just has loads and loads of settings - fiddling around with them to get ram and cpu running and stable would take forever - and going by this thread everything should work pretty easy!

Cheers

Steffen

Comment

Make sure CPU FSB is 400MHz. Adjust CPU so it is not overclocked too high.

Set DRAM Frequency to DDR3-1600
                Set DRAM Timings
                Set DRAM Voltage
                Then increase NB Voltage if slightly unstable. Also, make sure you have the latest BIOS.

Thank you
                GSKILL TECH

Comment

Hi,
                  I already tried lots of stuff, and I just returned from trying lots of other stuff again.
                  It's not that the system is unstable, it just plain won't even boot to bios with anything than running the Ram at 1333Mhz.

Here's some of the stuff I tried (newest Bios of course):

FSB Frequency @400 and @366
                  FSB strap to NB @333 and @400
                  CPU Multi @8,5 and @8 and @7,5

Ram Timings @auto and @ 9/9/9/24 (Cas Latency/ Ras to Cas/ Ras Precharge/ Ras Activate to Precharge) (all the other Settings of the Asus P5Q3 Deluxe were on auto)
                  Ram enhancement Settings (like Dram Static Read-Control, Dynamic Write Control,....) were both tried @auto as @disabled

Voltage Settings tried @auto and
                  - up 1,6V for Dram
                  - up to 1,2675 for vCore
                  - up to 1,32 for NB
                  - up to 1,28 for FBS-Termination

....and so on...

Nothing worked so far!

Comment

Wingo,

May want to check on your Xeon, they are generally rated for lower end DRAM compared to their desktop counterparts. Yours is a 2008 model, and I know the 2009 X5520 was rated for 800/1066...The Xeon 'server' mobos are also generally rated lower DRAM wise as it's meant more for stability than for RAW speed and OCing.

May want to try at 1333 w/ a tight CL

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Hmm,
                      I'm not quite sure if I understand you correctly:
                      The Xeon X3360 ist identical to the Q9550 that the thread-starter used. From my knowledge the only difference is, that xeons usually stem from the middle of the wafer and tend to overclock higher than their regular desktop counterparts. Other than that, the x3360 ost just the same 4x2,83Ghz (8,5x333Mhz) 45nm Quad-Core CPU - hence why they are even supported by this desktop (non-server) board ASUS P5Q3 Deluxe (which is rated by Asus to up to 1800Mhz OC DDR3).

So basically: this should work. Your colleague seems to have managed it all those months ago... like I said: that's why I bought this ram and not a different one.

Apart from me wanting to run the Ram at the speed I paid for: what do you think could go CL wise - I know, I have to try around, but basically I don't really have the time for this trial-and-error-make-the-most-out-of-your-system-fiddling... I'd be quite happy to just run my system within specs at the moment....

Cheers

Comment

The Xeon won't have the the FSB parity which can make adjustments to the memory freq. which can make a difference...maybe GSkill will have some ideas when they get on the boards....I generally don't mess with Xeons, even when building servers, unless it's specified

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Parity-checking has an effect on FSB?
                          Didn't know that...
                          ...but then: thats the only difference between the x3360 and the q9550...

...on the other hand: checking the net lots of people OC their x3360 by raising their FSB within or way above their RAM specs...

....and there are also lots of other non-parity checking CPUs...

...basically I cannot really see the CPU being at fault - I much rather think either a) we are missing something that needs to be set in Bios or b) from the time of this thread G.skill changed the chips they use on these DDR3-1600 Ripjaws and this combination that once used to function properly know doesn't (or needs some special settings - for example all those other Ram-settings ...)

Well, I have my fingers crossed for G.skill to find a solution!

Cheers

Comment

Try DDR3-1333 8-8-8-24 1.50V and see if that works.

Thank you
                            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Hi GSKILL,
                              yeah, those little bit sharper timings work... but as for Intel Systems timings are less important than bandwidth and I probably would have managed those timings with Gskill or different brand DDR3-1333Mhz Ram, which would have cost less.

Any different ideas on how to get this to work?!? (@1600Mhz that is)

Cheers
                              S

Comment

Working...
                              X