Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP45-UD3R + F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK + Q550 stable

Hi,

Thought I would share my experience and settings with the following components.

Motherboard : Gigabyte EP45-UD3R
    CPU Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 3.0GHz 1333FSB 12MB
    Memory : F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK PC2-8500 2x2GB (2.0~2.1v)

I am by no means an experienced overclocker, so it was all based on reading up around the Net, and a lot of trial and error (BSODs anyone?), the result of which I have finally had it stabilized at the following settings:

Robust Graphics Booster............ [Fast]
    CPU Clock Ratio........................ [ 8X ]
    Fine CPU Clock Ratio................. [+0.5]

CPU Host Clock Control.............. [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (Mhz)......... [ 400]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)...... [ 100]
    C.I.A.2.................................... [Disabled]

Performance Enhance................ [Standard]
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).. [Auto]
    (G)MCH Frequency Latch............ [Auto]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)... [2.40B]
    Memory Frequency (Mhz)... 1066... 960
    DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD)..... [Manual]

CAS Latency Time............ 5...... [ 5 ]
    tRCD.............................. 5...... [ 5 ]
    tRP................................ 5...... [ 5 ]
    tRAS............................ 15...... [ 15 ]

Load Line Calibration................. [Disabled]
    CPU Vcore............. 1.18750V.... [1.29375V]
    CPU Termination.... 1.200V........ [1.200V]
    CPU PLL................ 1.500V........ [1.500V]
    CPU Reference...... 0.760V........ [Auto]

MCH Core................... 1.100V... [Auto]
    MCH Reference............ 0.760V... [Auto]
    MCH/DRAM Reference... 0.900V... [Auto]
    ICH I/O...................... 1.500V... [Auto]
    ICH Core.................... 1.100V... [Auto]

DRAM Voltage............. 1.800V... [2.040V]
    DRAM Termination....... 0.900V... [Auto]
    Channel A Reference... 0.900V... [Auto]
    Channel B Reference... 0.900V... [Auto]

Ran Prime95 for 10+ hours until 1 out of 4 workers finally called it a day after the 15th hour. Still, I thought 10 hours would have been more than sufficient torture for the machine?!

memtest86 the RAM as well, and it originally gave me a reading of 6400 errors for one of the sticks. Didn't have time to test the other, and thought I had a bad stick. I checked the BIOS, and lo and behold, the BIOS had the RAM voltage automatically set at 1.8v, and the latency was 5-7 something (can't remember, except they were way off). I had also OC'ed the machine to 3.66 Mhz via EasyTune6 originally, and was hit with random BSODs for two weeks.

I readjusted the RAM voltage to 2.00v as specified, readjusted the latency to read 5-5-5-15, re-tested RAM#1 in Slot 1, and RAM#2 in Slot 3 for 13+ passes, and they were clear of errors! System runs fine as of this writing at 1600 FSB and 3.40 Ghz.

Still, I wonder if anyone has managed to overclock the memory frequency past 960, like trying to match it at 1066. I tried the corresponding multiplier for "D" at 400Mhz BUS, but it crashed as well. It only stabilized at 2.40B. In short, 800 and 960 works fine, but anything beyond 960 I get BSODs like IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION. Sometimes it boots up to windows, stutters and crash. Other times it just kept rebooting and shutting down, over and over.

Anyway, I welcome any advice from anyone with regards to the settings. No intention of going the extreme overclocking route. I am just happy with a stable system and some moderate overclocking. Thanks.
    Last edited by SyCKLe; 10-15-2009, 11:45 AM.

2.66D is the correct System Memory Multiplier. Memory Voltage will need to be 2.10V. Make sure CPU overclock is stable as well. MCH Core may need to be raised to 1.20V. It takes some testing, but you should be able to get it to work.

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

This is gonna be tricky. Tried the settings recommended. Upped it to 2.66D, set the RAM voltage to 2.1v, and adjusted the MCH Core as well. Result is the usual crash when Windows starts up. Sometimes I get lucky and get to the desktop screen before all hell freezes over and the dreaded BSOD creeps in.

Also tried to set the CPU voltage up to 1.35v but to no avail. Just so you know, I have an OCZ Vendetta 2 Triple Heatpipe installed, and the system and CPU temps are around 33 and 31 respectively, so the heat isn't a concern.

Comment

Have you tried setting the MCH Frequency Latch to 400 then your SPD to 2.66? that should set you to 1066 RAM speed.

In the advanced timings tRRD 4, tWTR 4, tWR 13 tRFC 68 and tRTP 4 (Will probably be able to lower tRFC)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Tried setting the MCH Frequency Latch to 400 and SPD to 2.66D combined with GSKILL TECH's recommended settings as well. The default settings for TRRD, tWTR, tWR, tRFC and TRTP are as you have provided, so no changes there.

Result is BSOD when Windows (Win XP 32-bit SP2) loads halfway into desktop. I tried upping the CPU voltage to about 1.35V. Interestingly enough, it lets me load into desktop, but it lags there for quite a bit (some apps refuse to load, and trying to view "Properties" takes a long time before it finally pops up), finally culminating in another BSOD.

Another interesting bit is when I go back into BIOS, there are no warnings at all.

Comment

How about dropping tRFC to 54, and what BIOS are you running?

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Dropping the value makes no difference in the result. Still BSOD when Windows starts. Either that, or lag in desktop, again, with some apps not opening, and desktop icons vanishing.

I had flashed the BIOS awhile back to the latest, F11. No problems flashing at all.

Comment

What memory slots are you using? Have you tried testing each stick or the set at DDR2-1066 to make sure the sticks are OK? Keep us posted on the results.

Thank you
                GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Do you mean set them to your recommended specs at 1066 and 2.66D in BIOS, and then test them in memtest even though those settings are BSODing? Not sure what you mean.

I am using Slot 1 and 3. I have memtested the first RAM in Slot 1 for 13 hours, and no errors. Then I took out the first RAM in Slot 1, left it empty, and put in the second RAM in Slot 3, and again for 13 hours and no errors. So yes, I did test them both individually, just not as a pair, and definitely not at 1066. I did get 6400 errors the very first time around I memtested them because the latency and voltages were all wrong (they were default auto). It was only after I had adjusted them to correct specs that they behaved.

I should also mention I did not test them on Slot 2 and 4 though. Would that have made a difference?
                  Last edited by SyCKLe; 10-14-2009, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Try testing them with the settings in slots 2 and 4. Many of these motherboards use slots 2 and 4 as the initial slots. If that still produces an error, try testing each of them at DDR2-1066 with the settings to make sure a stick is not defective. Keep me posted on the results.

Thank you
                    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

How many passes do you think is sufficient should it have to come to memtesting the individual sticks at 1066? Last I tested them was 13 passes, not 13 hours (typo), and no errors. Please advise.
                      Last edited by SyCKLe; 10-14-2009, 10:31 AM.

Comment

At DDR2-1066, test them as long as you can, but typically they will error fairly quickly if there is an issue.

Thank you
                        GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

I just installed ONE Ram on Slot 2, and running it as of this writing coupled with all the adjustments as advised. No BSOD so far. Interesting. Just ran a quick Prime95 to see if any worker will crap out on me, but nothing. Looks good so far.

Gonna shut down and put in the other RAM in Slot 4. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Comment

OK, let me sum it up here based on all the advised adjustments.

Tested RAM#1 alone in Slot 2. Booted up to desktop fine. Quick Prime95 and it went to Test 2 without any problems.

Tested RAM#2 alone in Slot 4. Booted up to desktop fine. Quick Prime95 and ALL FOUR WORKERS crapped out early in Test 1.

Moved RAM#2 alone and tested in Slot 2 . Booted up to desktop fine. Quick Prime95 and it went ot Test 2 without any problems.

Tested RAM#1 alone in Slot 4. Booted up to desktop fine. Quick Prime95 and ALL FOUR WORKERS crapped out early in Test 1.

Also tested RAM#1 in Slot 3 just for the heck of it. As usual, a BSOD if I run anything higher than 960.

I am really dreading the answer. Tell me my motherboard's not defective.
                            Last edited by SyCKLe; 10-14-2009, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Unfortunately, it's common for this motherboard.

Thank you
                              GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Working...
                              X