No announcement yet.

BAD PERFORMANCE FROM 128Gb falcom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memory is on the order of 100-1000+ times faster than even an SSD. There is DEFINATELY a noticeable improvement. Load a big app with superfetch off, then close it and open it right back up, see how much faster it opened the second time? With superfecth on it will open that fast the first time too.

Using superfecth will NOT hinder the box EVER by using ram. Windows (and all major OS's) use ALL free memory as disk cache. Superfetch just PREloads some stuff in to the same ol disk cache (as opposed to being required to load the app first before it is in cache). Disk cache is immediately freed as soon as an app need's ram so there is no way it could slow down your system from consuming ram. Performance gains obviously go up with more ram, but performance is never hindered. Windows vista and 7 also support priority levels for accessing the disk (similar to priority levels in task manager for CPU time) -- superfetch pre-loading is always at the lowest priority, so it wont ever slow down your disk reads either as anything you do would take priority over the superfetch pre-loading.
    Last edited by Extide; 05-29-2009, 12:22 PM.

Comment

As I said, w/ superfetch you can go either way, alot will depend on what you are doing, whether running 32 or 64 OS, amount of RAM, etc. Many of the users jumping on the SSD bandwagon are gamers and superfetch offers little in the way of advantages. Here's an article (I know, there are many that cover the pros and cons of superfetch, but this is pretty good without getting too technical)

http://www.ocmodshop.com/ocmodshop.aspx?a=1048

Most of the systems I build are high end, so how I set them up is normally tailored to the user and how the system will be used,....which goes back to it's either way

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
      X