Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sniper SSD in Mac Pro Early 2008 - Machine Reboots Before OS Install is Complete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sniper SSD in Mac Pro Early 2008 - Machine Reboots Before OS Install is Complete

I recently purchased a 120GB Sniper SSD (SN: 1045B000078463) as the boot drive for my Mac Pro Early 2008 running OS X 10.6.6.

After installing and formatting the drive and attempting to install the OS (OS X 10.6.0), I found that my machine would reboot part way through the OS install process, and when the machine came back up, I could no longer see or mount the SSD drive without rebooting again. I attempted to install the OS multiple times and with the drive in multiple drive bays, but always ended up with the same result and was never able to complete an OS install.

Would I be correct in guessing that the method mentioned by the OP in this thread may work for my particular machine even though the traditional install method failed multiple times?

Any other advice? (Firmware updates I should run, etc.)

Thanks.

It's Alive!

I ended up firing up Windows and following the instructions for creating and using the Boot CD found in this thread to clean the failed installs from my SSD.

I then navigated to the 3.2 firmware updater found in this thread, which I had already downloaded to another hard drive connected to my machine, then applied the update.

After updating the Sniper's firmware to v3.2, I restarted my machine in OS X, formatted the Sniper, then fired up Carbon Copy Cloner and cloned my existing system and apps partition onto the Sniper. Once the cloning was complete, I selected the Sniper in the Startup Disk preferences pane and restarted the machine. It's now been up and running with the Sniper as the primary boot drive for nearly three hours?quite an improvement when it previously wouldn't even let me finish a system install without rebooting before the task was complete.

I'll try and report back in a couple of weeks after I've had a chance to live with it for a while.

Comment

Hi ccatx,

This SSD install OS X is quite complicate, please consult our forum.

Sorry man

Comment

Working...
      X