Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to use Boot CD and upgrading SSD firmware.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to use Boot CD and upgrading SSD firmware.

1. Download Boot CD image.
    2. Burn the image into CD/DVD.
    3. Copy the software Update tool and new firmware into USB disk.
    4. Boot your computer from CD/DVD. ( Mac users need to hold down the key “ALT”, so that you could boot from CD. )

Now, please wait for a second…

For the users who use Mac or who don’t use Windows files system, please make sure to backup all your data before following the steps below.
    1. Type "diskpart" and then press Enter.
    2. Type "list disk" and then press Enter. (All your disk information would be shown up after step 2 is done.)
    3. Check your SSD disk number, X, and then type "select disk X".
    4. Type "clean". (All partition and data will be deleted.)
    Notice: If you skip the four steps we mentioned above, the firmware couldn’t be updated of the hard disks.

Start updating firmware.
    For Phoenix/Phoenix Pro
    Type “dir/w c:” to find out your USB disk (RED word we mark could be any alphabet of C~Z).
    Type “ssdupdate” to begin the firmware updating.

If you starting running ssdupdate program and then your SSD couldn’t be detected, please go checking the BIOS storage which should be set as "AHCI" mode.

Next

Your system will not reboot automatically after you finish updating firmware under the command mode window.

Click “ Refresh Driver List “and then you’ll see firmware updating has been already done.

Remove the boot CD and reboot computer.
    Last edited by G.SKILL; 12-23-2010, 08:05 PM.

This is good and tested working in AMD chipset (as i keep failed run the GUI in Windows 7 x64)

BTW, I tried in a Mac Book Pro and cannot flash the FW (due to unable to detect drive)

Comment

Does this work using a motherboard having a NVidia chipset?

AJ

Comment

Is there any way to flash after a failed firmware update?

I was trying to flash FM-25S2S-240GBP2 with firmware 3.2 and got a blue screen.

Now the drive shows up as [SandForce-(S3)] in bios and is not recognized in windows.

Comment

Problem: System hangs

Hi,

I installed boot CD on a USB drive and booted from it. After Windows loaded, I navigated to the firmware updater, and it started up.

However, the updater did not find my RAID0 drives, so I rebooted and set my BIOS storage configuration to 'IDE' instead of 'RAID'.

I rebooted into the flash drive boot CD and ran the updater again. My two Phoenix Pro FM-25S2S-60GBP2 drives were listed, as well as my other G-Skill drive.

I selected package 'A' and it uploaded. I've selected one or both of the 60 GB drives and press the 'Download firmware' button. The 'SSDUpdate' window pops up ('Make sure to backup...'), and I select OK. The system hangs. Nothing happens. Both of the drives are currently at firmware version 3.1.

What is causing this problem?

grits

Comment

Originally posted by AJCroteau View Post
            Does this work using a motherboard having a NVidia chipset?

AJ
            Sorry. The ssdupdate software still could not work on the NVIDIA chip. This question I already repaid give SandForce period of time. Was also waiting for that SandForce proposes the solution.

Originally posted by Bec View Post
            Is there any way to flash after a failed firmware update?

I was trying to flash FM-25S2S-240GBP2 with firmware 3.2 and got a blue screen.

Now the drive shows up as [SandForce-(S3)] in bios and is not recognized in windows.
            Got a blue screen
            Are you in the Windows upgrade firmware?
            Please try turn off the computer power few second then turn on the computer. If the SSD still is [SandForce-(S3)] , Then you need RMA this SSD.
            Last edited by G.SKILL; 01-25-2011, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by grits View Post
              Hi,
              I selected package 'A' and it uploaded. I've selected one or both of the 60 GB drives and press the 'Download firmware' button. The 'SSDUpdate' window pops up ('Make sure to backup...'), and I select OK. The system hangs. Nothing happens. Both of the drives are currently at firmware version 3.1.

What is causing this problem?

grits
              Hi grits,

sorry for the inconvenience.

This storage can't be recognize at RAID or IDE mode when using upgrade tool.
              Please set AHCI mode.
              Let me know does it work.

Comment

ACHI worked

Hi GSKill,

After I set the storage mode to "ACHI", the update process worked fairly smoothly. Now all three of my drives are 3.2 firmware.

Thanks for your help,
                grits

Comment

Those are the information I'd like to learn.. Thanks for this fantastic thread. Hope you have more very informative thread like this.

Comment

Falcon II?

I have reread this thread 3 times, but I am still unclear whether this is for Phoenix only, or does it work on Falcon II as well.

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by newbino View Post
                      I have reread this thread 3 times, but I am still unclear whether this is for Phoenix only, or does it work on Falcon II as well.

thanks
                      Yes , It is can work.
                      Please set SATA as IDE mode in BIOS first before upgrading new firmware.

Comment

I tried to use this process on a Dell XPS 720, then with other Dell machines. I finally found an HP that had the BIOs settings for AHCI and everything worked like magic. I'm sure there is a workaround for it with the XPS, but it was much easier this way.

Comment

This procedure doesn't work on a 2011 Macbook Pro for Falcon II

Just tried to use this procedure and all goes well until the step for upgrading the firmware.
                          - The boot CD works fine. Macbook Pro boots Windows fine
                          - The Diskpart and List Disk works fine
                          - Clean command succeeds
                          - Unzipped the firmware onto a USB drive and inserted into Macbook
                          - The firmware shows fine as C: disk
                          - The file 128GB_1.exe doesn't run giving the "...not supported on this platform"
                          - And the 128GB_2.exe starts to upgrade but then stops with errors with the last one being "...no response from disk" or something similar

Comment

"This storage can't be recognize at RAID or IDE mode when using upgrade tool.
                            Please set AHCI mode."

"Please set SATA as IDE mode in BIOS first before upgrading new firmware. "

Which is it...AHCI or IDE?

And there is no mention of installing the jumper on the drive...I do need to install the jumper to upgrade firmware right?

Comment

The download link does not work for me. It keeps going to google documents saying the file is too large to be virus scanned, and does nothing after that.
                              ASUS G73JH-RBBX05 | Intel i7 920XM | 8GB (2GBx4) PC3-10600 | ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 | 1920x1080 LED | 120GB SSD G.Skill Phoenix Pro | 500GB HD | Intel 6200 Advanced-N | Windows 7 HP 64Bit

Comment

Working...
                              X