Anyone here uses a ram disk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here uses a ram disk?

For the windows guide for ssds they reccommend a ramdisk and the guide maker uses a 4GB ram disk.

I'm not sure if he's using an lga775 or a higher chipset. Most lga 775 mobos have 4 dimm slots and most ppl buy 2GB rams for a max of 8GB system ram. To use 4Gb ram disk is really a lot of ram used. I also play games on the pc and don't forget high end graphics cards also need space to allocate their ram. (not sure about this on 64Bit)

Lastly it takes a long time to save and load the ram disk on shut down and start up. A 4GB ram disk takes time to be saved and to be loaded wasting time on shutting down and starting up the pc.

A RAMDisk has advantages..you can redirect your your cache files, TMP and TEMP files (reducing write cycles to the SSD or speeding up access if you've already redirected those to a different drive, you can also load some apps and oft used data files, have seen some load games onto the RAMDrive...downside is slows down start up and shutdown (which isn't really a big deal) and is somewhat irrelevant if you run 24/7 or start up in the AM and shutdown at night. Also, while more and more users are adding more and more RAM the typical user will actually use less than 4GB at any given time, so if you even have 6 or more you can set up a RAMDisk and see what you think. W/ 8 GB could set up prob a 2-4GB drive without any problem for most.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
    X