No announcement yet.

SSD Phoenix Pro 240GB deep sleep on mac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bljpoad: I have the exact same problem on my macbook pro 2010. When I leave it idle, it hangs/freezes upon waking up. So far, the only solution is to turn off sleep in power management and I also don't think it's an acceptable solution.

I have a feeling this is a compatibility issue with this drive and Macs and getting a rma might not be the solution unless someone from gskill/sanforce can tell us more.

Maybe since many of us with this problem bought this drive relatively recent, can this be a bad batch or something???

All i know is this has been frustrating especially when I spend $200 on this drive, I expect it to just work with all it's features enabled.

Comment

I agree. I spent more than $500 for 240gb. I also frustrate with this drive too. Formerly I used the intel ssd 160gb (I think it used sanforce too) but I didn't found any problem on sleep and wake up. I believe that this should be problem on driver and hope that gskill will help me to fix it.

Comment

Hi all

sorry I made a mistake, I suggest thitipat to RMA because I thought his SSD freeze all the time even normal use. about sleep issue, I have to say not only Mac got this issue and Sandforce without any solution.
        I am sincerely apologize for that.

Comment

GSKILL: So is this an across the board issue with all Sandforce 1200 controllers? It sounds like a defective product in that case. As since1983 mentioned, if you pay $200 for something you expect it to work without having to resort to measures like disabling sleep, which on a laptop is a heavily used feature. I have only had my drive for 2 days, but I think I am going to have to return it because as is it is unacceptable. It is a pity, because other than this issue the drive is outstanding

Comment

I agree with you guys. This drive is a good performance except the sleep issue. I tried to deal with this drive by:
            1. set the sleep mode to never as Since1983 said.
            2. anytime I leave my machine, I always use the sleep mode from menu.
            3. Always quit the mail app (I didn't leave it in memory) as somebody in the net informed that they found the mail hang up issue on 10.6.5.

I confirmed that my former drive (Intel SSD 160GB) doesn't meet any of the sleep issue.

Hope that will be a solution soon.

Comment

Sleep problem on Macbook Pro resolved in here!!

Guys the solution to the sleep problems on any MacBook Pro is to install this program, called SmartSleep, and all your worries would be gone!!! give it a try, and post your feedback, hope you guys enjoy your g.skill like me!!! love it....

http://www.jinx.de/SmartSleep.html

Comment

Hi Leon1330,
                Thanks for the suggestion, but I already have SmartSleep installed and it doesn't improve the situation. It allows you to set your machine to hibernate only mode, which is what I have done for now, however recovering from hibernation takes longer than booting up the macbook, so I don't think that is a very good solution.

I will be talking to NewEgg's customer support on Monday to discuss returning this drive and replacing it with an Intel.

Comment

purchase location

I purchased my Phoenix Pro 120GB at newegg

Comment

OK guys, seem like there is good news regarding these sleep issues. This is more or less a sandforce issue and people from this thread are having the exact issues as our g.skill ssd drives but they all have ssd's by OWC.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1057025

Reading through the thread, it seem like people are saying that OWC's customer support says there will be an updater tool for mac users and that sandforce knows about the sleep problem and that they are working on a firmware that will fix these problems in Q1 2011.

My question to G.Skill is that can we expect the same resolution in the not to distant future??
                    Any timetable or update would be nice. Thanks.

Comment

Since1983: that was the same conclusion I had come to too, that it wasn't a G-Skill issue and rather a Sandforce controller issue. Unfortunately, I have decided to cut my losses and return the drive to Newegg in favour of an Intel drive. I hope that there is a firmware update released soon that addresses this sleep problem for everyone with sandforce 1200 controlled drives. It may sound like a minor issue, but it really can be a deal breaker!

Comment

Hi guys

About this question, I am waiting for Sandforce.
                        as I get the result, I will let you know.

Comment

Working...
                        X