Phoenix Pro 120gb only 111gb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phoenix Pro 120gb only 111gb?

I just received my Phoenix Pro 120gb SSD and from what I've read it's supposed to be 120gb usable, yet when it's connected to my PC I only see 111gb usable space.

Is something wrong with this one, or is it reading improperly? I don't want to do anything with it yet if the size is incorrect.

HD Tune Pro: FM-25S2S-120GBP2 Information
    Firmware version : 3.1

Capacity : 120.0 gB (111.8 GB)
    Buffer size : n/a
    Sector size : 512 bytes
    Standard : ATA8-ACS - SATA II
    Supported mode : UDMA Mode 6
    Current mode : UDMA Mode 6
    Avergae speed : 4 MB/s
    Rotation speed : 0 RPM

S.M.A.R.T : yes
    48-bit Address : yes
    Read Look-Ahead : yes
    Write Cache : yes
    Host Protected Area : yes
    Device Configuration Overlay : no
    Firmware Upgradable : yes
    Automatic Acoustic Management: no
    Power Management : yes
    Advanced Power Management : no
    Interface Power Management : yes
    Power-up in Standby : no
    Security Mode : yes
    SCT Tables : yes
    Native Command Queuing (NCQ) : yes
    Trim : yes

Volume : System Reserved (D
    Capacity : 99 MB
    Free : 71 MB
    Usage : 28%
    File system : NTFS
    Serial : 124B-0E23
    Alignment : 1 MB

Volume : (E
    Capacity : 114370 MB
    Free : 114277 MB
    Usage : 0%
    File system : NTFS
    Serial : E6DA-7CC6
    Alignment : 1 MB
    Last edited by rlb9682; 11-17-2010, 09:37 PM. Reason: show more info

Hi rlb9682

it is correct.
    As used for storage capacity, one megabyte (MB) = one million bytes, one gigabyte (GB) = one billion bytes, and one terabyte (TB) = one trillion bytes. Total accessible capacity varies depending on operating environment. As used for buffer or cache, one megabyte (MB) = 1,048,576 bytes. As used for transfer rate or interface, megabyte per second (MB/s) = one million bytes per second, and gigabit per second (Gb/s) = one billion bits per second.

Even HDD is the same.

Comment

I see what you're saying, but it was explained better at benchmarkreviews.com when they stated that the Gskill SandForce SF-1222 controller does 7% over-provisioning-meaning in this case that roughly 8.4gb of the 120gb will be unusable, hence I see 111.4 (roughly) of usable space. Thanks for the reply and explanation.

Comment

Well the drive itself is actually 128GB, and the ~8.4 GB over provisioning they were talking about brings it down to the advertised 120GB.

What you're seeing is that HDD manufacturers use decimal number system to determine GB size. Meaning 1 GB = 1000 MB, 1 MB = 1000 KB, etc. So 1 GB = 1000000000 bytes.

However, Windows and other operating systems measure storage size in binary, so 1 GB = 1024 MB; 1 MB = 1204 KB, etc. So 1 GB = 1073741824 bytes.

120000000000 / 1073741824 = ~111.76 binary GB, which is what Windows is reporting to you.
        Last edited by seeker_moc; 11-26-2010, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the very thorough explanation! I hadn't expected such a detailed description, but it certainly helped my understanding of the size of the drive. Thanks again.

Comment

yes its all marketing lies 1 Gb is technically 1073741824 but HD makers just round that to an even million and when you multiply that by 120 you start seeing a difference.

Comment

You also lose some size depending on the file system used, and the sector size you use in setup

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
              X