Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GSKILL View Post
    Hi nikldan

your SSD is FW 3.1, please see the AS SSD, it showed just under model name.
    I feel like dope! The answer was right in front of me.

Anyways, so far so good. It restarts without a problem and fast too. The only minor problem I have is that Team Fortress 2 freezes for a second or so a couple of times after initial game load. This happened with my first ssd drive (same model). I am going to try to move page file off of ssd.

Comment

BIOS can not recognize FM-25S2S-60GBP2 SSD

Originally posted by FlawleZ View Post
      I have the same problem as everyone else. I recently built a high end i7 system for a customer and I used the 120GB SSD GPB1. The speed was great but I quickly realized once the computer was shutdown and then powered on again, the controller would not initialize the SSD whatsoever. The BIOS would then no longer see the SSD at all and it would require unplugging the power connector to the SSD and replugging it. Everytime it will then see the SSD again in BIOS and I would have to readjust boot order again as the Windows installation was on the SSD.

I'll be shipping the customer's drive out tomorrow for the RMA. This is my 2nd G.Skill product to purchase and my first let down. I've always seen positive feedback from G.Skill memory and I'm quite surprised that something like this could have slipped through to so many people. There's clearly a good number of people with the same problem. Hopefully a G.Skill tech will at least follow up here and give us an update with what exactly the problem was.

I really hope my replacement drive doesn't have a defective controller as well.
      I have the same problem as you. I got the FM-25S2S-60GBP2 SSD from G.SKILL agent from Suzhou China one month ago. I always met BIOS could not recognize the SSD after computer power on first time. The computer should be shutdown and then powered on again,then the BIOS see the SSD. I must press power button of computer three times every day to boot FM-25S2S-60GBP2 SSD and I would have to readjust boot order again.
      I want to know how to solve the problem. I have asked ASUS for solution.They said there was something wrong with the SSD firmware.
      M/B: ASUS P6X58D-E
      CPU: Intel I7 950

Comment

Send it in for RMA and the new one should work better.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

I am also experiencing a similar problem with my 120GB Phoenix Pro. At first the drive could not be detected at all in BIOS. I reset the BIOS by removing the battery, changed SATA cables, reset a couple of times and amazingly it started working at some point. I even opened a RMA case before that.
          At this point I decided to test it for a while (I am in Europe and shipping it to Taiwan is expensive and slow...). So my recent experience is that if the drive is recognized by BIOS it works great. But sometimes when doing a cold start the drive is not recognized by BIOS. I fix it by reseting again the PC (which is just the opposite from what people complain in the forum).
          I bought the drive from newegg during the recent promotion as well.
          So my question is - what is the reason for this behavior? Is there a way to fix it without RMA-ing it? I really don't like to RMA it because of the shipping costs and the time it will take.

Here is more info about my drive:
          Product Model: FM-25S2S-120GBP2
          S/N: 1042B000122388

Comment

My Phoenix Pro 120 has never shown in Standard CMOS Features, the DVD burner is there, but under Advanced BIOS Features in Boot Sequence it's always there.

Specs:
            MSI 870A Fuzion
            AMD Phenom II X2 555
            G.Skill Ripjaws 8Gigs 4x2
            ATI HD 5850
            G.Skill 120GB Phoneix Pro FW 2.1
            Motherboard - MSI 870A Fuzion
            CPU - AMD Phenom II X2 555
            Main Drive - G.Skill 120GB Phoenix Pro
            Memory - G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3 1600 8GB 2x4
            Video - ATI HD 5850
            Power Supply - Corsair 550W Modular

Comment

Originally posted by nailzs View Post
              My Phoenix Pro 120 has never shown in Standard CMOS Features, the DVD burner is there, but under Advanced BIOS Features in Boot Sequence it's always there.

Specs:
              MSI 870A Fuzion
              AMD Phenom II X2 555
              G.Skill Ripjaws 8Gigs 4x2
              ATI HD 5850
              G.Skill 120GB Phoneix Pro FW 2.1
              Same here. My bios shows the drive along with the others. I just have a very difficult time when I have to restart. This is my second drive with exact same problem. I RMA'd the first and received the same model with updated firmware. The new firmware did not help. The problem doesn't occur when the drive is newly installed. It takes a week or so for it to start to happen.

Comment

Have you tried turning off the paging file? I had a problem with starting, complete fail, and had to use system recovery 2-3 times. Since I turned off the paging file everything has been "normal".
                Video - ATI HD 5850

Comment

I'm finally sending the customer's drive off tomorrow (delay on customer's end) which I filed for the RMA almost a month ago. However, I'm really hoping I will get a good drive in return. The customer has already had enough frustration as it is and to receive yet another malfunctioning drive would be entirely unacceptable. I sure hope G.Skill tests each drive before they send it out to ensure they function properly.

Comment

Hi FlawleX,

Actually we did, we tested each SSD before we sending it out.
                    I am really sorry.
                    Real life usage is more complicate than our testing.

Comment

Another G.Skill Disaster

It is Christmas and I just had delivered what I thought would be one of the fastest SSDs available, a brand new G.Skill Phoenix Pro 60GB. Serial number is 1046C000103479, manufactured Taiwan November 2010. It was supplied by a well-known local reseller, PC Case Gear of Melbourne, Australia.

With keen interest I was hoping to do a fresh OS install. Didn't even get that far. Unfortunately, once connected, this G.Skill SSD does not even power up. It does not initialize; it does not boot. It is a DOA paper weight. Basically, expensive junk.

Now that I look carefully on-line there are so many on-line posts in the USA about these junk G.Skill drives (e.g., newegg.com). To add further frustration my supplier PC Case Gear is closed until 4 January 2011.

Anyhow I felt it constructive to warn anyone in this community studying the SSD market to carefully reconsider this brand of SSD. Suggest you do not make the same mistake I did. Do not buy G.Skill.

Comment

Have you tried turning off the paging file? I had a problem with starting, complete fail, and had to use system recovery 2-3 times. Since I turned off the paging file everything has been "normal".
                        My page file is on a different drive. I tried no page file but that caused bad stuttering in Team Fortress 2 which is the game I play the most. I suppose if you aren't a gamer, having no page file might help but not in my case.

Comment

The only other thing I could recommend is to look at what's running in the background. If it's something you don't need to run after boot up stop it.
                          Video - ATI HD 5850

Comment

The only other thing I could recommend is to look at what's running in the background. If it's something you don't need to run after boot up stop it.
                            Thanks again. I've spent the last ten years looking for ways to free up resources. Anyways, as has been mentioned around here before, it must have something to do with the controller. Either windows or bios or both seem to get hung up by it just before or at start of OS load.

I did discover that in my case I need a page file for games to run without numerous hitches. And trust me I waste a lot of time playing games.

Comment

Do you have the latest BIOS and drivers installed?

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                                Do you have the latest BIOS and drivers installed?
                                Yes sir. Bios is newest available. All drivers up to date.

Comment

Working...
                                X