60GB Pro (Win7) Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60GB Pro (Win7) Installation

Hello, I recently bought the 60GB Pro SSD from newegg.. got it and my brand new Obsidian 800D case (pretty sweet, awesome if gskill ever goes that direction 'case building') A side note.. it does NOT work with the hot swap bay interface of the machine, which wasn't a huge deal remove back panel and ran the wires through same route reguardless.

Now that I got the history out of the way here is my issue. I installed Win Vista 64-bit OEM version fresh onto the drive. Upgraded immediately to Win7 64-bit OEM (Upgrade package deal at newegg awhile back). Since then I read the common tweaks etc, and changed all of my configurations and don't notice a difference at all really.. but my computer was fast to begin with so I thought nothing of it. However, the biggest part.. switching to "AHCI" mode from "IDE" in my BIOS.. causes a blue screen of death.. then I reset my BIOS settings it instantly boots up.

What approach should I take to make sure I am optimizing the performance of my SSD? I was a bit overwhelmed seeing I got my brand new case the same day and spent 5 hours moving my rig and my SSD configuration wasn't at the forefront of thought at the time as I rushed to get my OS on my system. (Broke my IDE input it seems during MB transfer so my CD-ROM wouldn't work.. I have ordered a SATA drive)

It has been an ordeal and I have everything working, except my SSD is not the "amazing fast you won't believe its the same computer" results. I very seriously doubt it is the quality of the product as every gskill product I have bought exceeds the competition. Instead I know I am at fault, which is fine.

Shall I wipe my SSD and reinstall my OS AFTER I setup "AHCI" mode? Or would there be an alternative reason I have system instability (BSOD) when I boot now that my OS is setup? Is there any way to fix this without reinstalling my OS?

System Specs:
    MB: ASRock P55 Extreme LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard
    Processor: Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80605I5750
    SSD: G.SKILL Phoenix Pro Series FM-25S2S-60GBP2 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
    RAM Set 1: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL
    RAM Set 2: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
    RAM FAN: G.SKILL FTB-3500C6-S Fans
    GPU: GIGABYTE GV-N460OC-1GI GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

(Included mostly all of my system specs to be throughout for any known complications)

Thanks in advance!

I am far from being an expert but I do believe that you will get the best results if you first enable AHCI in BIOS before installing OS to fresh drive.

Comment

Try this steps
      1. SSD Connection to motherboard E-SATA port
      2. BIOS => Storage
      SATA operation [AHCI]
      ESATAII operation [IDE]
      3. Into Windows Install IRST driver
      http://www.station-drivers.com/page/intel%20raid.htm
      4. Turn off Power
      5. SSD Connection to motherboard SATA port
      6. Success or failure

Comment

Thanks for you responses guys! I will try this after I get off work Wales. Thanks again.

Comment

Before you switched from IDE to AHCI, did you do the following:

1 Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
          2 If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
          3 Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Msahci

4 In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
          5 In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
          6 On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

If you installed windows 7 using IDE mode, in order for it to work in AHCI, you must do this... otherwise, you will bluescreen on load because windows 7 is still expecting IDE mode...

Other than that, i installed Windows 7 in IDE mode, then switched to AHCI and my performance is either on par or better than what others have been posting...

AJ

Comment

I also have Corsair Obsidian 800D and one Phoenix Pro SSD 60 Gb and not recognize the disc in hot swap bay interface of the machine.

Receive my best regards

Comment

Thanks AJ! Thats what I was hoping to hear it was a registry change but couldn't find more info online. I will keep everyone posted on how it goes later.

Comment

Working...
              X