Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PC Not Detecting Keyboard 50% (or so) of the Time on Boot..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you know any possible solution? I thought RBG tested model but I do not know if it will be different.

Comment

The #1 cause of a undetected keyboard upon boot (when otherwise would work fine) is insufficient power draw from the USB hub. The second, would be specific to certain USB hubs on motherboards that have a really short time window for USB signal ping.

#1. Most USB ports share power draw with another USB port or ports. The power needed for full LED lighting requires the full power draw of a standard USB hub, so please do make sure that no other USB devices are connected to the same USB hub, as that may result in insufficient power, causing the system to not detect or recognize the keyboard. Usual culprits are other high-powered USB devices with LED, external hard drives, USB fans, or additional extension hubs.

#2. Some USB hubs have short time frames, so after the keyboard receives power, powers on, and responds to the USB ping, the USB hub's detection time frame would have expired, resulting in the device not being detected. So please check that the motherboard BIOS is updated, and that USB power saving options are disabled, to ensure that the keyboard is powered sufficiently during the boot process. Also, if the main power from the AC power outlet is cut, or if the main power supply is cut after shutting down, then on the next cold boot cycle, the issue may occur again due to device boot and ping time.

Because the detection issue is random, we are still working on replicating it to a degree of certainty to resolve this issue, either on a software or firmware level.

Comment

Originally posted by G.SKILL View Post
        There has been issues with ASUS motherboards, where cutting the main power would cause the motherboard's USB controller to not detect the keyboard upon the next boot. The only workaround is to connect the keyboard to a USB 2.0 port in the rear panel and don't cut all power to the system when the PC is turned off. Otherwise, you'll need to reconnect the main keyboard USB plug for the system to recognize the keyboard after powering on the system.
        There is still no stable solution?

Comment

It seem like there are no solutions from the ASUS side of things, since the issue seems to be hardware-based, making it harder to resolve it through a BIOS or software update. The only solution is to connect via native USB 2.0 ports on the motherboard.

We have heard that there will be changes made to future motherboard products, so newer generation boards should be able to resolve this issue. Our keyboard team should be able to confirm after the next-gen motherboards make its way to the market.

Comment

The only solution is to connect via native USB 2.0 ports on the motherboard.??

How do you do this?
            Connecting to the back ports?

Comment

Yes, native USB 2.0 ports are typically located on the rear panel of the motherboard. Please check your motherboard manual for details on the USB ports.

Comment

is this issue related to bios settings where the USB devices will be ignored at POST for faster boot?
                I can't remember what option was that

Comment

it's a slightly different issue, but that BIOS option would also affect the keyboard detection as well. It also is more complicated since each motherboard brand have a different name, so you'll still have to hunt for it in the BIOS.

On some motherboard models, even if the USB devices are not ignored, are set to have a shorter timeout than the USB standard, so some USB devices may be left out even if it stays within USB standard but longer than the specified timeout set by the motherboard. The specifics is a bit more complex, but newer motherboards should be able to take these RGB keyboards into consideration during the design and planning stage, since these heavy RGB keyboards only have been around for at most 2-3 years.

Comment

True. wouldn't it be nice to have dedicated USB hub just for your gaming RGB mouse and keyboard (replaces the PS/2), in their Gaming Mobo at least.

If I had this issue, I'd assume it is related to power or power saving feature.
                    I would try disabling power saving options, then boot my PC without anything connected to all USB hubs other than the KM780, then reboot for a few times to test.

you may also report this to Asus or check their forum. someone might have the same issue or fixed it.

Comment

Working...
                    X