XMP DDR5-6000 unstable, need help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XMP DDR5-6000 unstable, need help.

I am ABLE to load the XMP profile for the ram kit, but unable to run it stable enough to install windows or even run windows. I would have to run the sticks at JEDEC specs of 4800 Mhz 40-40-40-76 1.1V to even be able to install windows successfully and to run the system. Any attempt to run the system at XMP profile at 6000Mhz 40-40-40-76 1.3V would cause the system to become unstable and BSOD and/or corrupt windows. The XMP profiles also do not pass the MemTest86 test built into my motherboard (ROG MAXIMUS Z690 APEX /w ver. 0702 BIOS.). I was told to raise the voltages to get it stable but even when I bump it up a little bit and test for stability it still fails. The CPU and GPU are NOT overclocked. Any tips to get it work stable on the rated 6000Mhz 40-40-40-76 would be appreciated.

CPU: INTEL i9-12900K
    MEMORY: G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) Model F5-6000U4040E16GX2-TZ5RK
    MOTHERBOARD: ROG MAXIMUS Z690 APEX (BIOS Ver. 0702)
    PSU: Corsair HX1200

First make sure you at least tried optimized defaults + XMP-2 (= original G.SKILL spec).

Then reduce the memory ratio a step or two for testing purposes. If that does not seem to improve stability, test both modules individually. It helps determine, if there is an issue with either one of them and a RMA might be required. Otherwise it tells you that there is a more general issue, maybe with the BIOS or other hardware (CPU/MB).

In the latter case the BIOS also has inbuilt memory OC presets for all currently available IC types, that you can try instead of the XMP.

The other option would be to go the manual route. Done properly that also leads to better performance compared to the XMP. To be honest, that really is what a motherboard like the Apex is built for. If you are new to that, start with a general memory overclocking guide, like the memtesterhelper one for the overall workflow. Then dive into Z690 specific resources like

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KPE...ew?usp=sharing
    https://skatterbencher.com/2021/11/0...ing-whats-new/

for the more specific and finer details.
    Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Originally posted by emissary42 View Post
      First make sure you at least tried optimized defaults + XMP-2 (= original G.SKILL spec).

Then reduce the memory ratio a step or two for testing purposes. If that does not seem to improve stability, test both modules individually. It helps determine, if there is an issue with either one of them and a RMA might be required. Otherwise it tells you that there is a more general issue, maybe with the BIOS or other hardware (CPU/MB).

In the latter case the BIOS also has inbuilt memory OC presets for all currently available IC types, that you can try instead of the XMP.

The other option would be to go the manual route. Done properly that also leads to better performance compared to the XMP. To be honest, that really is what a motherboard like the Apex is built for. If you are new to that, start with a general memory overclocking guide, like the memtesterhelper one for the overall workflow. Then dive into Z690 specific resources like

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KPE...ew?usp=sharing
      https://skatterbencher.com/2021/11/0...ing-whats-new/

for the more specific and finer details.
      1. Loaded optimized defaults and XMP II profile, wasn't able to finish installing windows and becomes unstable when I use 4800c40 windows install with 6000c40.
      2. Tested each stick individually and both are unstable at XMP, memory tests showing a lot of errors for both. By memory ratio what exactly do you mean? I'm pretty new at this overclocking thing and I couldn't find anything in those guides/bios about ratios besides Dram and BCLK ratios.
      3. Built in memory dram timings profiles are all unstable (BSOD at windows) or cause complete failure at memory training.
      4. Manual route tried. Read those guides and changed the recommended voltages and values does make things like training work, they fail be stable in windows 11 with large BSOD and corruption during memory testing. I've loaded a 4800c40 image of windows image to use as a reload point.

Tried contacting both international and US tech support from G.Skill but either no or slow replies to e-mails.

Comment

Originally posted by theo_yells View Post

Tried contacting both international and US tech support from G.Skill but either no or slow replies to e-mails.
        I have a similar problem. BSOD gives MEMORY MANAGEMENT error after crashing. I'm not stable if I push past 4000Mhz. Did you hear back from support regarding recommendations?

Comment

For most people BIOS 0811 fixed their stability issues with the XMP. Sometimes you might also have to adjust memory controller voltage for DDR5-6000, that depends upon your CPU for the most part.

If you already are on the latest BIOS, test both modules and DIMM slots individually to see if there is an issue with either one.
          Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

I had to get a new motherboard... Damn z690 Hero had a bad capacitor flipped on the polarity. Manufacture defect on the z690 Hero made the news Asus made an announcement. I bought a z690 extreme and the memory overclocked nicely. F5-6000U4040E16GX2-TZ5RS doing 6000mhz 32-35-35-52 cmd rate 1 on gear2... Trained perfectly using the last profile on the asus presets 6000mhz SR samsung last profile option in the motherboard ram bios.
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X