Problems with my new ram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with my new ram

Hey I've built a new system from newegg few months ago, and decided to go for a memory I have always wanted - the pice of art called TridentZ royal, basically built my whole system around it:
    gigabyte Z490 vision d,
    rtx 3080 vision,
    I9 10850k.
    And of course the TridentZ Royal 32GB 4000 mHz
    model F4-4000C17D-16GTRSB - two sets.

Since then my pc wont shut down properly after a fair workload like gaming for example, for about an hour or so. Screen goes black, so does keyboard and mouse, but interior keep on running, all fans and lightings stays on forever, until I make a long press (force shutdown)...

So I started with my investigation to try and figure it out: power supply? Tried a new one,
    bios updated, windows updated, formatted few times to ensure it is not software related..

I have contacted gigabyte and they said my ram isnt compatible and I should check with G.skill.
    So I did - they told me that my problem is that I bought 2 kits of 2x8 instead of one kit of 4x8, and that counts as mixing kits.. sounds very wierd..
    I checked with only two sticks at a time, the problem didnt happened this time, but the xmp would not work! (With 4 sticks it works perfectly fine, and I made sure that I am using a pair from the same kit [consecutive serials])

I just dont get it, Gskill ensures that ram in the same kit will work together, then why is that?
    what do I do now? Is it a faulty ram? (Ran windows memtest - found nothing), is it the motherboard? Cpu memory controller?

Im clueless, tried anything from my side...

Please help, spent so much money on this pc for these kind of problems..
    thanks!
    Last edited by assafchamoy; 03-22-2021, 08:45 AM.

What settings did you run with full slots? Each kit should perform the same on it's own. If XMP alone does not work, try manually reducing DRAM Frequency with XMP enabled to see what can work. Both kits should have the same result, then from there you can test to see what both can do. Let us know how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
      What settings did you run with full slots? Each kit should perform the same on it's own. If XMP alone does not work, try manually reducing DRAM Frequency with XMP enabled to see what can work. Both kits should have the same result, then from there you can test to see what both can do. Let us know how it goes.
      Hey thanks for the response!
      I tried full slots with the default XMP, It runs perfectly fine beside the problem I mentioned.
      When I run with two slots (tried both options) on dual channel of course, It doesn’t even boot and throw me straight to the bios.
      Tried lowering the frequency to as low as 3200 and even lower to 2133 defaults, the timings themselves wont work for me with the two slots configuration on each one of the kits.

Comment

So the system is perfectly stable through any test, but after some usage it will suddenly black out and become unrecoverable?

You said you tested DDR4-3200 and DDR4-2133, does the black out issue occur under these settings?

What do you mean the timings do not work?

What is the max two modules can work run at? It is odd four modules performs better than two.. it should be the other way around.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
          So the system is perfectly stable through any test, but after some usage it will suddenly black out and become unrecoverable?

You said you tested DDR4-3200 and DDR4-2133, does the black out issue occur under these settings?

What do you mean the timings do not work?

What is the max two modules can work run at? It is odd four modules performs better than two.. it should be the other way around.
          No, there is not any blackout, the pc is working perfectly fine and stable forever, until I decide to shut it down, then it will not power off as it should.

I tested two modules, with these presets:
          XMP OFF - Works fine, problem wont occure.
          XMP on (no custom settings) - boots into bios.
          XMP on (custom settings of frequency 3200, 2133) - boots only to bios, that means it is something with either out of the box XMP voltage setting, or timings.

with all 4 slots, everything is working beside my main problem - the pc wont shut down after gaming or any other heavy work for an hour or so.

I can send a video of the problem to your mail or something (already send it to the support email)

Comment

Working...
          X