Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is G.Skill Ripjaws Z F3-17000CL9Q2-32GBZH Compatible with ASUS Rampage IV Extreme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I looked at the Icy Dock MB990SP-B item. While it appears at t first glance to be a solution, I do not think it will not work in the two lower HDD bays of a Corsair 800D.

Here is a copy of one review that identifies the limitations of this item:

Pros: Can fit two 2.5" drives in a single 3.5" bay

Allows you to install the drives into the adapter w/out using any screws, but...see comments below

Cons: The primary issue with this, and most, 2.5" to 3.5" mounting brackets/adapters is that the mounting holes are not far enough apart to fit in many cases.
    On 3.5" hard drives, the mounting holes are ~4" apart along each side.
    On 2.5" drives, the mounting holes are ~3.125" apart, and on this (and most) bracket adapters, the mounting holes are only ~2.375" apart.
    It won't fit many tool-less, bracket, or rail mounted cases that require the mounting holes to be ~4" apart.

Other Thoughts: The spring action sides are a silly addition. If they provided additional friction inside a standard 3.5" internal bay, so as not to require mounting screws, that would be kind of neat, but it doesn't even come close to that.

The Silverstone SDP08 will serve the same function as this Icy Dock bracket, but will actually fit cases requiring ~4" separation mounting holes.

Comment

Found another review specific to the 800D:

Rating: 3/5Don't buy if you have an 800D
      Pros: Great quality, easy to put 2.5 drive in... no screws needed.

Cons: I bought this to mount my 2.5 SSD in my 800D in the bottom drive bays, and the screwless drive mounts that come with the 800D for the lower drive bays don't match the holes on this drive adapter... the rear holes extend beyond the reach of this adapter, so it was a no-go.

Comment

Bingooo

To add, motherboard QVL lists are "outdated" because memory is produced/released after motherboards. Therefore when deciding what memory to purchase, or is compatible with the motherboard, the DRAM manufacturer should know best. The DRAM QML, G.Skill for example, is tested on the new platform motherboards, so they will be absolutely guaranteed to work without a problem. Commonly, we have about 50 test set ups, so any issues/glitches will be discovered and resolved ASAP. This is also where we make sure XMP is working flawlessly, so when you get a motherboard and memory that is 'compatible' on G.Skill QML, you can achieve extreme performance with one setting.

Some companies are willing to work closer than others, that's good in bridging the gap, so hopefully others will see the results and follow. This unclarity causes headaches for DRAM makers and users, so improvement is necessary!

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Originally posted by Intelguy View Post
        I'll chime in, especially on MSI, I won't even touch their motherboards anymore. I also agree the QVLs are worthless if not kept updated, but would even more like to suggest they test the DIMMs at the rated speed rather than the motherboards default. With Intel they should test under XMP which they don't as evidenced here and at other DRAM makers sites, where people buy DRAM and XMP doesn't set it up correctly due to improper programming of their UEFI. Then they blame the memory makers and send people to them rather than provide support, as they should, they are the ones advertising their motherboards to be XMP enabled.

Comment

Originally posted by Britton30 View Post
          It never ceases to amaze me with what we hear form board makers support that these buffoons can manufacture something as complex as a motherboard.
          I used to work for a company in Columbus, OH called Pinnacle Data Systems. They do a lot of everything, but I worked in the Sun/Oracle department testing and repairing defective HDDs, CPUs, and Motherboards. I also handled all the OOW-MRB scrap-out/IW RMA processes for these compnents which gave me plenty of experience dealing with the RMA customer support for Fujitsu, Hitachi, Seagate (which is why I will never use another Seagate or Maxtor HDD), Tyan, ASUS, GIGABYTE (which is why I will use Gigabyte mobos until the day I quite using computers), and Intel. In fairness to the engineers that design these boards, CPUs, and drives, they are seldom the ones writing the bios and almost never the people manning the phones in customer service. As far as the staff in customer support for these companies, it's really no different than the customer support call center for your bank, or for your cell phone, for a recall on your car, etc. The majority of call center staff are paper pushers that don't know much of anything about the technical side of product development at all. While there are always some that do (and those are the ones I prayed I got on the other end of the phone line, lol), more often than not, a call to customer service will likely get a person on the line that doesn't really know the specs and capabilities of a component, and trying to get them to transfer you to a tech support rep that does is just as often a fruitless endeavor. Don't blame the engineers, blame the corporate schmucks who don't find nearly enough tech savvy people to staff their call centers.
          My rig:

AMD FX-8120 @ 3.8 GHz
          32 GB G-Skills Ripjaws Z DDR3 - 1866
          Gigabyte 990FX-UD5
          Radeon HD 5870 Vapor-X Eyefinity 3 @ 5760 x 1080 resolution
          3- LG 23" 23EA53V-P IPS monitors
          LEPA 900 W 80+ Gold certified
          Azza Hurrican 2000R tower
          Logitech G930 headset, G510 keyboard, 510 mouse

Comment

Might check my info thread on QVLs here:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10566

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
            X