Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL + Asus Sabertooth 990FX + AMD FX-8350

Hello,

As the title suggests, I have a 4-stick Ripjaws X kit on a Sabertooth 990FX board paired with an FX-8350 and an EVGA GTX 770 AVX SC. The CPU is not overclocked, but I am running the memory out of spec at 1866. The system is generally stable, especially under load, as it passes Memtest86+ 4.2/5.0RC2 overnight, Prime95, hours of heavy 3D, etc with no issues. The only hiccup I'm experiencing by running the RAM out of spec is occasional video lockups, which occurs once every 2-3 days after waking up from screen blank. When this happens, I can still login to the system remotely and force it to sync all IO and reboot gracefully, and the logs indicate that the video card is indeed experiencing the problem. What are the recommended settings for my memory/mobo/CPU combination?

Thanks,
    -Chris

I think I'd raise the CPU/NB (MC (memory controller)) voltage about + 0.07 from current

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
      I think I'd raise the CPU/NB (MC (memory controller)) voltage about + 0.07 from current
      Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, I've already got the CPU/NB voltage up by .07, and the RAM voltage up by 0.05.

Comment

Did you enable the DOCP Profile?

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
          Did you enable the DOCP Profile?

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH
          I have, but I've actually had better results setting the timings manually (9-10-9-28/2T). Enabling DOCP for some reason caused the system to think my USB 2.0 bus was being undervolted (accurately or not; I haven't thrown it on a multimeter), which meant only the ASM1042 USB 3.0 chipset functioned in that mode.

Maybe I should just obey the spec and run the memory at 1600MHz; there's not that much of a performance difference after all. It's just a bit agonizing since it's so close to being 100% stable at 1866. Absolutely punishing the system with the RAM out of spec doesn't cause it to blink; I've even run Prime95 using 90% of my RAM and a constant loop of Unigine Valley at ultimate quality settings overnight without so much as an artifact. It's only waking up from video standby that seems to trigger the instability.

Comment

Very strange, did you check all of the memory power down settings to make sure they are correct?

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Very strange, did you check all of the memory power down settings to make sure they are correct?
              I'm not sure I have; just restored to "optimized defaults" the other day, I've only tuned memory timings so far. What are the recommended power settings?

Comment

1.50V for DRAM Voltage

for full slots @ DDR3-1866, you will need to boost CPU-NB Voltage +0.1V-+0.15V to stabilize the CPU memory controller

Thank you
                GSKILL TECH

Comment

1.50V for DRAM Voltage

for full slots @ DDR3-1866, you will need to boost CPU-NB Voltage +0.1V-+0.15V to stabilize the CPU memory controller
                  Thanks for the info. Yes, I had previously hard-coded the DRAM voltage to 1.5 (and even tried 1.525, which made no difference), brought the CPU/NB up to 1.3 in increments, and experimented with C-states. Regardless, I appreciate the info.

As a side note, I'm not sure why it helps, but hard-coding the voltage to 1.5 does seem to extend the windows between video lockups. This despite the fact that the motherboard automatically sets the voltage to 1.5.

Comment

Yep, many mobos will the the voltage but then seem to let it fluctuate unless put in manually, don't understand it

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
                    X