Help OC i7-3820, MSI X79A-GD65-8D, F3-1600C10D-16GAO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help OC i7-3820, MSI X79A-GD65-8D, F3-1600C10D-16GAO

Hello, I'm trying to get to ~4.8GHz overclock on the i7-3820, and the system will not boot if I change anything beyond FSB 100 and multiplier 43, I think it has to do with the memory profile not being set properly. At 4.3GHz it is perfectly stable, with all auto memory settings in either XMP or non-XMP.

Once I start increasing the BCLK (or strap), it starts trying to overclock the memory to match, but it is not working on Auto settings. Could you please help with what the memory settings need to be in order to get past 4.3GHz?

I'm shooting for ~4.8GHZ (125 clock strap, 38 multiplier) and am using 2x Ares F3-1600C10D-16GAO (2x8GB) memory on an MSI X79A-GD65(8D) mobo.

Thank you!
    Last edited by chiefsalami; 07-16-2012, 03:21 PM.

Hi,

only the k series CPU is capable to adjust the mltiplier, in your case, please lower the DRAM frequency to 1333Mhz or lower, and then increase the BCLK to OC the CPU. after you reach the 4.8Ghz, and then you can adjust the memory speed as well.

Comment

Hello, thanks for the response. Will this memory operate above 1600 MHz? I can adjust the BCLK up to 120 before the memory starts being clocked up above 1600 and it starts to fail POST.

If it will operate above 1600, ideally at 2000, what are the timing and voltage settings I should apply at this speed?

thanks,

Comment

Get the CPU to the desired OC first. It may or it might not, most GSkill sticks seem to OC above rated values well, if stable at 1600 would try up to 1866 at 11-10-10-31 and possible raise the DRAM voltage by + .05, may need to raise the MC (Memory Controller) voltage about the same

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks. I will try, but I don't know that I can do one independently of the other.

For example, like I said, max BCLK seems to be 120 (which keeps the RAM at 1600). Anything above that, and the system won't POST - I think it's because of the memory settings, because it starts to adjust the memory frequency above 1600. I have not been able to do BLCK of 125 like other 3820 users out there, since it requires the RAM be at 1666.

But I'm curious - if I can manage to get the system to boot at a high enough frequency by using BLCK at 120 and a higher multiplier (like 38-40), why would I need to overclock the memory?

Comment

The sticks are rated to 1600, but generally can do more, which is what I thought you wanted to do, if not can simply manually set the timings and freq to stock, as GSkill said the K series and above make things much simpler

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
            X