Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P8Z77-V LX and i7-3770k Memory

My next buy is: P8Z77-V LX, i7-3770K, and F3-2400C10Q-32GTX

1. I've read in the forum about processor/motherboard combo that won't O.C. to the advertized values. Will this memory run at 2.4 GHZ with this configuration?

2. Because money is a factor and I have not yet upgraded to 64 bit Windows, can I just use 1 of the 4 module (I am making 3 computers, two with 8G each and the third with 16G)? The reason I want the 32GB is because I will be upgrade to 64 bits in the near future.

3. I've already setup an i7-2600K and 2700K using the P8Z68-V LX and F3-17000CL11Q-16GBXL and F3-17000CL9Q-16GBXM. I have both running at about 2.5GHz and the memory I believe it is running at 2.1 GHz (using XMP profile1). I have not notice any difference (at least noticeable) in performance. So the question is: the extra money I spent on the M series memory was a waist or do I still need to manually teak instead of using XMP?

4. If XMP is as good as it get, what other memory modules should I look at in the 2400 series that will perform almost as good as the one I am looking at? (Saving $40 per set is a big deal if it doesn't affect performance significantly)

A bit confused here, but here we go,

1. Will the set run with the CPU/mobo combo - Yes

2. You want to split the set up, which yes will work, though will prob need to put timings in manually, the XMP programming in the SPD of the set's sticks is for that package (i.e. 4 sticks in one computer), but yes they will work split up - Are you building three identical Z77/3770K's or is some of the DRAM headed to question 3 rigs

3. If planning to run the sticks with the 2600K and 2700K mentioned, you may or may not hit 2400, many have had problems running 26/2700Ks at 2400, they can do it, but not always easily, good news would be you could take the 2400 sticks and drop them to 2133/2200 and tighten the timings down to CL9, which would be near 2400/CL10 performance, money wise, if this is the plan of attack, (splitting the sticks between a 2600K, 2700K and 3770K might look to a 2133/CL9 set, which the 26 and 2700Ks will be happy with at native 2133 and the 3770K should be able to run the 2133/CL9 at 2400/CL10 with little to no problem (I've got a 32GB 2400 set of Tridents on order, but am currently running 2133/9 32GB Ripjaws X on a Z77/3570K at 2400 CL10

4. The Tridents are the lower priced of the two 2400/CL10 sets - there's also the Ripjaws Z set (comes with DRAM fans) at about $25 more - the 2133/CL9 sets run about $50 less (the Ripjaws X like my set, and a similar Ripjaws Z set)

If I missed anything or misconstrued your intentions give me a yell back

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Tanks for the fast replay Tradesman.

Question one is answered. Thanks.

Question 2. Yes, I am building 3 identical systems. And no, I am not changing the other six existing computers (they are doing their thing and I can't afford down time).

Question 3. I've read somewhere that 2.133 GHz is as good as it gets for the CPU/mobo/memory combo, and therefore I did not event try to O.C. the memory more than XMP set it to. It is already is running at 1.65V and I am worried that the CPU might get damage if set higher. The reason I want to split the memory modules is because of money. Eventually I will upgrade to 64 bit OS, and when I do, [I] will but the other 2 sets of memory modules.

Your statement "take the 2400 sticks and drop them to 2133/2200 and tighten the timings down to CL9, which would be near 2400/CL10 performance, money wise" sounds very interesting and yet confusing to me. Well do some reading and tweaking and see how "money wise" better this idea is. Thanks.

Question 4. I thought that Ripjaws X (a.k.a XMP in my mind) is what is optimized for Intel's second, and now third, generation CPUs and Z68,Z77 chipsets. Will Ripjaws Z play as easily as Ripjaws X did for me in my last two builds?

The intent of my original question was to see if there was a lower priced module than the Tridents. Questioned answered.

Don't want to go lower in frequency. I want to do 2.4 GHz and see of my stuff will run faster then it does at 2.133GHz (will try to setup 3770K same as 2600K and 2700K and see if there is any noticeable difference in performance). My programs are computational intensive and not I.O. intensive, and therefore I am thinking faster memory will significantly improve performance (did not see that with M and L series at 2.133GHz).

Any way, thanks very much for your response. It was right to the point. Tino.

P.S. I found the Post Icons and I am using them, although I don't know what half of them mean. If I use the wrong one, p[lease let me know (at my old age I still need to be educated)

Comment

2. Then good to go

3. Z77 and 3570K/3770K combos can run 2800 and higher. Was saying money wise, if splitting between different CPUs you could still run the 2400 (or higher w/ the 3770 and if using the 26/2700Ks then they could run the sticks but at a lower freq w/ tighter timings. It's all immaterial as they will all have 3770Ks and can run 2400

4. Actually the X series was designed for 2nd gen Intel CPUs (25/26/2700Ks et al) and the 1155 socket/P67/H67/Z68 chipsets (primarily).....these work fine also with the Z77 chipset and 3rd Gen CPUs like the 35/3770Ks, The Trident line is aimed specifically at this combo of 3rd Gen/Z77. Now then the Ripjaws Z line is a different horse, but it to will work fine with your combo, though they were designed with the 2012 socket and X79 chipset in mind and running DRAM in Quad channel as opposed to the 1155 mobos (that have 4 slots for DRAM, but run only up to DUAL Channel.

You'll also be looking at another difference...when you say you'll be setting the 3770K up near same as the 2xxxK CPUs, you should see a difference, i.e. the 3rd gen CPUs at say 4.2GHz themselves run faster (performance wise) than does a 26 or 2700K at the same 4.2, should see a difference w/ the faster DRAM also

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
        X