• Show
Clear All

• Help with RAM timings and BSOD

Hello

Here's my information:

G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3-1866 (PC3 14900)

Motherboard BIOSTAR A880GZ

CPU: AMD FX 8150 8 core 3.60 ghz

I'm getting BSOD's including Memory Management. Using the guide at http://www.overclock.net/t/26706/inf...gs-for-dummies
    I have attempted to set my timings correctly (9-10-9-28) but I still get BSODS.

I have run Memtest and have hit 1000's of errors within the first 60 seconds.

I am a NOOB. Please help me.

Thanks

Robert

How many sticks of DRAM are you running? And what exact set of sticks do you have, there's a few different Ripjaws sets, also Ripjaws X and Ripjaws Z sets

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Ram Model etc as requested

The Ram specs are:

G.Skill Sniper
      f3-14900cl9d-8gbsr
      DDR3-1866
      pc-14900
      4096mbx2 (2 sticks of 4 gigs)
      cl9-10-9-28 1.5V

PS.

I ran Memtest for over 12 hours with the result of millions of errors.
      Having never used this program before I do not know of the results show errors due to BIOS settings which I may have changed inappropriately.

Thanks for your help.

Robert

Comment

Pps:

I am sorry that I mistakenly specified Ripjaw in my previous post.

Comment

raise cpu-nb voltage until it stabilizes.
          AMD's Official AM3/AM2+/AM2 Performance Tuning Guide

AMD's Official FX AM3+ Performance Tuning Guide

Comment

cpu-nb voltage addresses the cpu doesn't it? Memtest is indicating memory errors...

I'll read the article. The link you gave me for AM3+ doesn't load. I get an Upstream write/read error.

I'll Google it.

Comment

For recent AMD chips, the cpu-nb is actually the memory controller. I actually had to raise mine to 1.45v to stabilize DDR3-2000CL8.

Comment

Yep, CPU/NB supplies the voltage to the MC (memory controller), with 4GB sticks and AMD mght want to add .05 to the DRAM voltage also

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I got it...CPU/NB =Memory Controller

So. I should gradually bump up the NB until... what? How will I know it's good to go?

Memtest in DOS is hitting 1000s of errors within minutes. If I did this right would those errors greatly diminish, or would they totally disappear?

My other PC is also AMd so I am trying the suggestions on that one.

Should I tweak any other BIOS settings other than NB?

Thanks. I'm learning allot, and that is fun.

Robert

Comment

As mentioned before might raise DRAM voltage + .05, AMD has long been notorious for weak MCs (memory controllers), would think 1.3 or so on CPU/NB should suffice. Also might run Memtest on 1 stick at a time (only 4-5 passes) if errors on one and not the other, prob bad stick, if errors on both might drop to 1600 and try there, if both solid, then may be the MC just can't handle 1866...these FX CPU seems to be up and down, some can't run 1866 at all, others are fine and can even run 2133, seems like a bit of a crap shoot as to what day or time of day they came off the production line

Tman

Comment

I should have said this first.

Post all of your subtimings. There are certain ones that are very finicky for AMD.

You can open AMD Overdrive and take a screenshot, like this:

Comment

If you can post your BIOS settings we can take a look and try to find what's wrong

Tman

Comment

AMD Overdrive screenshots as requested.

I hope I posted these correctly. Windows was unusable using my memory timings and voltages so I had to reset the CMOS/BIOS before doing the screenshots.

I have posted more than asked for, and I apologize. I am concerned by the the red frequencies on the cpu page. The clock voltage page is also interesting.

Thank you for your help. You're the best.

Robert

Comment

The red frequencies displayed in AOD are Turbo clocks. It simply displays red to distinguish that it is indeed actively in a Turbo state.

Your AMD Overdrive screenshots show that all of your memory timings are way off. I don't know if that is an error in AOD, but if those are the real timings set in BIOS, that would be why you are having such problems.

Refer to the screenshot I posted of my timings. They should give you an approximation of where to start. It's best to try loose at first and find something stable, then tighten one at a time. Memory tuning calls for a lot of CMOS resets. It is a lot of Trial and Error. A lot of people pull their hair out over this kind of thing. I actually enjoy this kind of thing, always pushing the envelope.

In reality, the compatibility problem AMD users always have is the default timings. They are programmed and tested to be stable on intel platforms (XMP). The SPD timings might work ok at lower default frequency on AMD, but once you start raising the frequency, you need to loosen certain ones up or it will never be stable. You are dealing with a completely different memory controller than on an Intel chip, after all.

Now I can't blame memory manufacturers for tailoring timings towards Intel since they hold the vast market share , but it would be nice to have more memory certified for AMD, or at least have a Black Edition Memory Profile (equivalent to Intel's XMP). I think the last G.Skill RAM to do this was the Flares, and the price premium of them reflected the additional testing needed for the AMD platform.

But don't worry, you can still run high performance Intel certified RAM on AMD platforms, it usually just takes a lot of patience and effort because you have to set everything manually.

Comment

A final report

I want to thank you for your excellent tech support. You people rock. You're kind, supportive and you've taught me allot. After carefully checking my settings, and trying two other sticks of ram, I have concluded the problem is wholly faulty memory.

I have run memtest on the 2 4 gig sticks using various settings (as suggested), and carefully checking the timings, with the same huge list of errors.

I ran the same tests using 2 sticks of DDR3 1333 mhz memory from my other pc. Cleared CMOS, installed memory, set timings, double checked them, ran memtest with no errors.

Just to be sure I cleared CMOS, installed the other 2 4 gig sticks, triple checked my timings, ran the same test which resulted in many errors within 30 seconds. Unless I learn something here in the next few hours I'll be calling the vendor for an RMA.

Having said that... in the process of all this I learned that my other pc had a small timing problem. Thanks to you the pc is running memtest and Prime95 flawlessly. The cpu is actually overclocked and the system is stable.

Thanks again.

Robert

Comment

Working...
                              X