Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to I make sure my ram is operating at 2133?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to I make sure my ram is operating at 2133?

I have an H77 motherboard from ASUS, so I have ASUS EFI BIOS.

I just bought G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory from newegg.com

From what I understand, I will need to change the speed from 1600 to 2133 in the bios, my motherboard does indeed support 2133 (ASUS P8H77-V ATX Intel Motherboard)

Where can I do this?

Go into the BIOS, enable XMP and select the 2133 profile - should be good to go, then when system is running, download CPU-z, install it, pop it open and check the Memory tab, should show the sticks running at 1066 (which equates to 2133 as this is DDR3 (Double Data Rate 3)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Hello,

I have done this, but every time I save and exit, the screen goes black and I have to force reboot. I get the error "overclock failed."

This is my motherboard: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Int...t_1155/P8H77V/

It shows:

4 x DIMM, Max. 32GB, DDR3 2200(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/2000(O.C.)/1866(O.C.)/1800(O.C.)/1600/1333 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory
      Dual Channel Memory Architecture
      Supports Intel? Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
      * 1600MHz and higher frequency is supported by Intel? 3rd generation processors.
      * Refer to www.asus.com or user manual for the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendors Lists).
      * Due to OS limitation, when installing total memory of 4GB capacity or more, Windows? 32-bit operation system may only recognize less than 3GB. Install a 64-bit Windows? OS when you want to install 4GB or more memory on the motherboard.
      * Due to the CPU behavior, DDR3 2133/1866MHz memory module will run at DDR3 2000/1800MHz frequency as default.

I have an i5 2550.

What am I missing?

Comment

Part of it is they say the higher DRAM freqs are supported by 3RD GEN CPUs, which are the IB (Ivy Bridge, which have a stronger MC (Memory Controller), the 2550 is 2ND GEN, with the chipset of your mobo and your CPU, think you might get to 1866, or more likely 1600. The H77 is the lower end chipset of the 1155 socket chipsets, also the 2550 is a locked CPU, unlike the 2nd gen K models which are unlocked and can go to higher OCs and carry faster sticks with them. Might try the Snipers at 1866 8-10-8-28 1.65 2T (and may have to raise the MC voltage a tad, + .06 or so)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

oops, I meant to say i5-3550.

3rd gen. Sorry. Does that effect it?

Comment

As a straight 3550, may still be limited to around 1866, I haven't worked with the H77 mobos much, tried them when they first came out and stayed with the P67s since I like to really push systems. Have you tried 1866 with turbo boost turned all the way up? Oh, and make sure you have the latest BIOS, which might help, meant to mention that earlier

Tman

Comment

I haven't tried that. I'll attempt tomorrow.

Comment

Let us know how it goes, I'll be in and out

Tman

Comment

That didn't work either... I'm a little frustrated, to say the least.

I think it is the h77 motherboard... however, asus says 2133 ram is supported. Not why I am having these issues?

Is G.SKILL a supported Ram brand for ASUS? Will I need to go to ASUS tech support with this?

Comment

The 3550 w/ turbo boost goes up to 3.7GHz, for 2133 I normally suggest 3.9 - 4.0 as a starting point. You can try at 3.7 and add voltage ( + .05 to the DRAM voltage and maybe add about the same to the MC voltage, believe VTT or VCCIO).....what the mobo advertises doesn't mean alot if the CPU (which has the MC (Memory controller) in it can't handle it, see my info post:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10566

Tman

Comment

I'm having similar issues with the Ripjaws X F3-1600C9D-16GXM and the Asus P8H77-I mini-ITX motherboard.

The system runs happily with the memory clocked at the default 1333Mhz. However everything I've tried to get the memory to run at 1600Mhz results in the "overclocking failed" error from the BIOS. I think there must be an issue with the H77 or possibly with the UEFI BIOS.

Comment

What CPU? The mobo stat's it supports 1600 and higher, but specifies with 3rd gen CPUs, so that would be like 3570(K), 3770K).....what are you running. Also will want latest BIOS and latest drivers.

Tman

Comment

My specs:

CPU: Core i7 2600K (not overclocked)
                          Motherboard: Asus P8H77-I
                          BIOS version: 0409

I set the BIOS to both XMP profiles and to the defaults. I tested it with 2 separate pairs of sticks and had the same results.

Comment

That's really odd if the H77 requires an Ivy Bridge CPU to run the memory at 1600Mhz. I have a 2600K on an ASUS Maximus Gene-Z with RipJaws running at 1600Mhz just fine. It seems like a step back if today's H77 won't let you do what last year's Z68 does.

Comment

I haven't worked with an H77 yet, but it's introduced as the lower end to the Z77 and oriented towards 3rd gen CPUs....both chipsets work fine with 2nd Gen CPUs like yours, in this instance with nothing hands on, I'd hate to suggest something that I'm not positive about....My gut tells me 1600, even 1866 should be no problem w/ your CPU and I'd like to give it a try, but I'm not GSkill, I'm a member like you, and until I get a client that wants a build based on the chipset, I can't see getting one just to experiment, at that price point I'd lead clients to a Z77....sorry I can't offer more, but I hate buying things that won't work and don't like suggesting to others to do so.

Tman

Comment

Working...
                              X