Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 & F3-1600C9Q-16GAB

Hello,

I believe I have a faulty memory stick but wanted to see what you all think:

* ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3. BIOS version: 2.20 (newest as of June 6, 20120)
    * CPU: Intel Core i7-2600
    * Memory: G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3
    12800) F3-1600C9Q-16GAB
    * GPU: MSI N560GTX-Ti 448 (GeForce GTX 560 Ti). Driver: 301.42 (newest as of May
    22, 2012)
    * Windows 7 x64 & Ubuntu 12.04 x64. Blue screens on Windows. Also memtest
    failures (thousands almost immediately)
    * OCing: No

Per http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=477 I believe the mobo supports
    that memory without further settings. I did try to manually set timings 9-9-9 24
    2N in the BIOS but that did no good.

Then I removed two of the sticks and the problem went away. Then (to verify it's
    not the mobo) I replaced the two working sticks with the other two and got
    memtest failures again. Which leads me to believe one set of the 4 sticks is
    broke.

Thoughts? Time to RMA?

Another question: Since my computer is working with the 2 working sticks (8GB),
    can gskill send me a replacement before I return the faulty ones? I'd hate to
    have my computer none-operational while I wait.

Thanks!

Philip

Does sound like an RMA, to work out details contact rma@gskillusa.com or rma@gskill.com for rest of world.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I am having the same issue. It was running fine since 11/2011. A few weeks ago started getting BSOD.

Did you RMA? Did it fix the issue? I wonder if it had to do with the BIOS upgrade?

* ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3. BIOS version: 2.20
      * CPU: Intel Core i5-2500k
      * Memory: RipjawsX F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL

Comment

If any doubts on the BIOS upgrade fall back to where you were previously....I've got the Z77 X4 and 1.6 was sweet, then they screwed up the next couple versions of the BIOS

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks, I'm not convinced it is the BIOS just yet since I had a few months of smooth running before it happened. If pcberg RMA'd and still had a problem, then I would be more inclined to think BIOS.

I've spent a few hours testing the RAM with Memtest86+ 4.20. At first I tested each one individually and they all passed. Next I tested in pairs and I thought I had identified the bad stick (it was the common stick in all failed tests). However, just for giggles, I placed all four sticks back and ran the test again. Tested clean!

I have no idea what is going on. Does the order of the sticks matter?

At any rate, I plan on running Memtest86+ overnight. I will update this thread with results.

Comment

For Memtest, it's best to test each stick individually

Tman

Comment

Yes, RMA fixed the issue. I haven't had any issues since.

Philip

Comment

Pcberg, glad to hear all is well and thanks for the update!

Tman

Comment

Well after hours of Memtests, I've identified the bad stick. I must've made a mistake the first go around. I'm going to RMA.

Unfortunately gskill wants the whole set returned. I'll be without a computer unless I buy ram to use while I wait. Kind of defeats the point of free replacement.

What does everyone else do? Just go without a computer or do most people have spare RAM laying around?

Comment

Main purpose behind a full set is to ensure you get a set back where all sticks are tested to work together. Some have sticks from other builds, may have another system, some buy (and then return), some borrow from friends (especially if you know anyone who builds or works on systems, they will often have spare DRAM around (I build, so I always have a few sets and some loose sticks of even DDR2, DDR, (and even still some PC100/133 and a few really old SIMMs, also use then for instructional classes))
                    Last edited by Tradesman; 09-27-2012, 07:10 AM.

Tman

Comment

I would recommend to follow Tradesman suggestion and RMA the whole set. I've had various sources advise against breaking sealed memory sets up.

I bought the smallest / cheapest temporary set of replacement sticks I could. I couldn't afford 1 week without this particular computer.

Can't say I was happy about the situation but in all the experience wasn't horrible. I think financially I still got away good because gskill had competitive prices at the time when I was in the market. So I didn't have any regrets. My biggest gripe was the hassle. The RMA itself was no problem but I was annoyed at having to swap memory sticks and running memtest which cost me more effort then I'd like to have expanded.

Happens, I guess! I'm happy now with my build (and the memory sticks). No more issues after the above.

Comment

Come to think of it: In a way I get that gskill doesn't want to risk sending replacements before getting the defective merchandise (although has to be said: I believe newegg does -- granted, they are a distributor, not manufacturer).

Anyway, I wouldn't have minded to pay a deposit that I get refunded once gskill gets the defective units. That would give gskill the assurance that they are not being ripped off and gives customers the convenience. In the end it would have also saved me money because I wouldn't have bought temporary replacements.

Not sure if the idea is practical (and easy to manage -- we wouldn't want to pay more for the products just because of a fancy RMA process), but maybe if somebody at gskill reads this... just an idea!

Comment

Good idea, I'll forward this to them to make sure they see it

Tman

Comment

Heh, I thought the exact same thing. I would happily put a deposit down in order to have no down-time or shell out for 'spare' RAM.

Thanks for describing your experience so I know what to expect. I'm waiting for my RMA # now.

Comment

Keep us updated, have forwarded it to GSkill, will let you all know the response

Tman

Comment

Working...
                              X