F3-17000CL9-4GBXM and TZ68A+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-17000CL9-4GBXM and TZ68A+

I am having difficultly getting my memory up to speed.

Specs:
    Memory: F3-17000CL9-4GBXM
    Motherboard: Biostar - TZ68A+
    BIOS: 4.6.4 - 1/02/2012
    CPU: Core i5 2500K

I believe my BIOS is up to date, and, like others the XMP profile that is showing up is only 1866 MHz 8-10-9-26

In order to get my latency up to snuff I changed my CPU clock/bus to 103. so the memory is running at 1922 with the timings shown above.

My DRAM voltage was set to 1.65 by XMP.

I tried to manually set the timing but don't know what all the other ones are supposed to be. Looked at other post for this mem and tried those but got BSOD so my guess is voltages.

Correction

Correction: F3-17000CL9-8GBXM

Comment

Looks like BioStar is way behind with their BIOS, it's not even reading the XMP off the SPD correctly, (they've got a few mobos that are way behind on the BIOS), may want to set up and try manually, turn XM off, set to manual or auto, set DRAM base timings to 9-11-10-28, DRAM voltage to 1.65, CR to 2T, may need to raise the MC (Memory Controller) voltage a tad, believe it's VTTCPU or something like that, to prob 1.15 or so

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

No Dice

Biostar is not only behind on their BIOS they told me they have no plans to update it. According to them since I have an i5 it only officially supports DDR3-1600 so they don't see this issue as their problem. Luckily G.Skill steps up where Motherboard Mfgs. leave off.

Anyway, found a Vcc SA - which said it was the memory control voltage. Increased it by0.1 all the way to 1.517v. No dice - BSOD. Will boot but prime 95 give errors immediately then eventually BSOD comes knocking.

Another thing is that on CPUz it shows my command rate of 1T even though I manually set it to 2T. Not sure if this is an issue.

Also I think my setting are backwards on the BIOS. When I set the XMP it shows 8-9-10-26 so I think the middle two are reversed. Can you give me the labels for those timings.

I could tell that the systems seemed to be getting more stable as I increased the Vcc SA. Would boot faster and such. Should I keep going? It looks like it tops out around 1.605v so not much more room anyway.

Let me know if you need screen shots of my BIOS.

Comment

With only 4GB 1.1 is the about the Max VCCSA you'd want, could try raising the DRAM voltage (+ .05), and if that was the approach they took, saying the i5 only supports up to 1600, I'd suggest getting a supervisor or someone else on an advertising issue i.e. false advertising, they show the mobo as supporting up to 2200, and there are NO Intel mobos that OFFICIALLY support anything close to that...might try sales@biostar-usa.com, and ask why their support folks don't offer support on what sales is advertising....and bring up filing a complaint.....If the additional DRAM voltage doesn't help, can you post your DRAM settings as well as system voltages

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

The sad thing is I got the same response when a similar incident happened with a Gigabyte MB. I think that is why this forum is so heavily used. Motherboard manufacturers just pawn it off on the memory makers.

I will post the BIOS stuff in a few days so you can look at it.

Comment

Good observation (see my thread:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10566

The thing I've found is you have to hammer them, keep in mind, they are advertising that their mobo will run 2133, 2200, 2400 etc, and that it will run XMP - problem is to shave cost they don't program the BIOS to do so and want to dump it on the memory manufacturer and the problem with that is mobos are all different, and if they don't meet the XMP specs they advertise to adhere to, therir BIOS should make adjustment to itself to meet the XMP standards that are programmed into the sticks. All to many times, I've fought with different makers over this because what works under standard XMP timings on one board may not work on a different mobo say the advanced timing tRFC should be 278, I ran into a manufacturer that was advertising they support XMP - yet the max allowed for tRFC on some of their models was 255 -needless to say they updated the BIOSs.

I'll be looking for your post with timings et al, and we should be able to get things running smooth - but I would complain to them, may even get a better model mobo out of it

Tman

Comment

Will do on the Motherboard Mfg attack.

FYI
                On my first request to update the BIOS their response was:

"TZ68A+ motherboard supports 2133Mhz DDR3 memory. A BIOS update is not required. Please provide CPU model number."

When I told them I had a i5 2500K they replied

"The memory controller is on the CPU.
                Intel Core? i5-2500K Processor supports maximum memory frequency of 1333Mhz. See link below.

http://ark.intel.com/products/52210"

Almost ripped my hair out when I saw that...Anyway...

Here are the timings and voltages. This is what I am attempting to do but, as I said before, BSOD. Added the CPU voltages just in case. Let me know if I do have the tRP and tRCD backwards.

Comment

Where it says DRAM Timing control and is on AUTO - can that be changed to XMP? that is, is XMP an option there, if so select it. For whatever reason they list the timings in reverse, but are proper in what they are. Try VCCIO at 1.1.......and I don't expect a response real soon, but I sent them an email...to please clearly explain why they say they won't support over 1333/1600 since they advertise up to 2200 - prob be Mon-Tues at earliest here in the states for a response - but they are a day ahead of us, if it goes through Taiwan
                  Last edited by Tradesman; 07-06-2012, 08:30 PM.

Tman

Comment

You mean the the one on Manual? If so, yes I can change it to XMP Profile 1. But there is no Profile 2. The resulting timings are shown below. This is where I have it set right now with my CPU clock at 103 so that my Latency is at least better than the XMP profile. 1923Mhz @ CL8

Comment

FYI I sent BIOSTAR the following email Let me know what you think.

Hello,
                      I am contacting you because of a lack of proper treatment by your Tech Support. I have purchased a Biostar TZ68A+ Motherboard. It states that the motherboard supports the following RAM Speeds:

(From your Website) Support 4-DIMM DDR3-2200(OC)/2133(OC)/2000(OC)/1600(OC)/1333 up to 16G maximum capacity

I have purchased a set of 2133Mhz DDR3 Ram kit from G.Skill. When I try to enable the XMP profile the BIOS reads it incorrectly and set the speed to 1866MHz. I contacted the Memory manufacturer and they said the BIOS needs updating to read the profile correctly. I contacted Biostar Tech support and they said there is no need to update the BIOS since the motherboard supports 2133MHz. BS Tech Support then asked what CPU I was using and I told them an Intel i5 2500k. Your Tech support then told me the CPU only supports 1333MHz.

I attached the email correspondence with your tech support.

Well, all the supported CPU's for this motherboard only support 1333MHz, yet you and the Tech support both state the board will OC to 2133MHz. Since you board supports XMP profiles it should be able to read them correctly.

This is my first and possibly last Biostar motherboard. You claim a supported speed then claim it is the CPU?s fault for not being able to reach it. Then why advertise and speed over 1333MHz? This seems like false advertising. I demand that this issue be resolved either by a BIOS update or a board that will ACTUALLY SUPPORT 2133MHz.

Comment

Sounds good to me, that's basically what I sent them also

Tman

Comment

Please see previous post for updated Timings.

Comment

Can you change the multiplier to 2133 while XMP is enabled as shown

Tman

Comment

No, it won't let you into the field even though it looks like it should, being black.

A somewhat related question. What are your thoughts on ASUS boards? Do they have fewer or more issues like this than other mfgs? Used to be a Gigabyte man but though I would try Biostar. Not real happy with them so far although I tend toward the lower priced spectrum of the scale so that may be an issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X