X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM question

I am looking to buy this kit:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...o_cart_title_1
    Let's say I bought this kit today. If I were to buy the SAME kit again a few weeks or months later, would there be any compatibility issues?

To be honest - maybe.....anytime you mix sets of DRAM, even of the same model it can be problematic. Mobos pull data out of the SDP Programming on sticks to set both the base timings you always see (like the 9-11-11-31 on this set) as well as the advanced timings which will vary between 2 and 4 stick sets. Using 2 sets, XMP won't work either as it also depends on the SPD programming which is done based on the packaged set. You might have a mobo that is ready and can automatically set the advanced timings but quite often isn't, so in part it also depends on the mobo, it will also depend on the CPU as to whether it can carry the sticks i.e. I would suggest it for AMD CPUs period.....Good news is, if you go Intel, I've got these sets and have been through the figuring out and setting the sticks up with two sets on some Z77 and P67 mobos. What mobo/CPU combo are you thinking?

Also, this set is $180 at NewEgg
    Last edited by Tradesman; 07-03-2012, 07:29 PM.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
      To be honest - maybe.....anytime you mix sets of DRAM, even of the same model it can be problematic. Mobos pull data out of the SDP Programming on sticks to set both the base timings you always see (like the 9-11-11-31 on this set) as well as the advanced timings which will vary between 2 and 4 stick sets. Using 2 sets, XMP won't work either as it also depends on the SPD programming which is done based on the packaged set. You might have a mobo that is ready and can automatically set the advanced timings but quite often isn't, so in part it also depends on the mobo, it will also depend on the CPU as to whether it can carry the sticks i.e. I would suggest it for AMD CPUs period.....Good news is, if you go Intel, I've got these sets and have been through the figuring out and setting the sticks up with two sets on some Z77 and P67 mobos. What mobo/CPU combo are you thinking?

Also, this set is $180 at NewEgg
      I plan on going 3770k/Maximus V Extreme.
      To be honest, I just want a memory kit that hits 7.9 on the Windows Experience Index. (Even if it means nothing and is a horrible benchmark)
      I know its a lot cheapter on NewEgg, but sadly I can only buy from Amazon at the moment.

Comment

The 3770K/Max can handle, will make for a nice rig, and as said, if when you get another set of sticks I'm sure we can get them running

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
          The 3770K/Max can handle, will make for a nice rig, and as said, if when you get another set of sticks I'm sure we can get them running
          If both kits were used together, how would XMP be correctly configured?
          Also, I've read that the max voltage for memory on Ivy Bridge CPUs is 1.5v, and that memory kits with more than 1.5v can damage or shorten the CPU's lifespan. I did some Googling and found replies both supporting and denying this. The kit I'm currently looking at is 1.6v; Will this kit damage the CPU or void the CPU's warranty?
          Last edited by Iamazn; 07-03-2012, 10:32 PM.

Comment

On the Voltage that reccomendation comes from the spec 1333/1600 sticks, to OC and run at higher freq can require higher voltage for the DRAM (CPU/VCCSA/VTT/etc) so it's safe, I normally suggest 1.6 -1.65 for 2133 up through 2666, and notmally look at an OC of 4 GHz or higher. With two sets you won't use XMP. you'll set the base timings manually, then the advanced to

tRC 42, tWR 16, tRRD 7, tRFC 278, tWTR 8, tRTP 8, tFAW 27, tCWL 7

once stable these can generally be tightened down
            Last edited by Tradesman; 07-04-2012, 06:46 AM.

Tman

Comment

Working...
            X