New PC Issues!! Need HELP :( :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New PC Issues!! Need HELP :( :(

Hi guys, i just had a new pc built for me and am having a couple of issues which i dont know the cause of.

First of all here are my specs:

CPU: Intel i5 3570k
    CPU Cooler: Noctua DH-14
    RAM: G Skill F3-14900CL8-4gbXM (16 gb total dual channel, 2x4+2x4)
    MB: Asus Sabertooth Z77
    SSD: Gforce 120GB GT
    GPU:2x EVGA GTX 680 Signature in SLI
    Sound: Asus Xonar STX
    Case: Thermaltake Level 10 GT
    Power: Corsair 1050HX

Issue: Whenever i do heavier processes for a longer time, such as playing games or graphics editing (mainly cryengine 3 and sketchup both combined), after a while my computer freezes, restarts itself and gives 4 (yes 4 exactly) quick beeps. Ive updated all drivers, even did a motherboard bios flash update but still same issue. Ive checked everything is seated properly too. I was recommended to do a gpu bios update but cant figure it out (since i cant get the topology of my nvidia cards).

Also, particularly when im editing in cryengine 3 i hear a small "whining" like noise coming from my pc, when i minimize cryengine it goes away, and when i open it again it starts again, as if the computer is under some strain.

Final thing, and i this might not be a problem at all, but whenever i power off or power on the PC it ends/starts with a click that i assume is coming from the power supply, i've never heard noises like that with previous pcs, so the clicking noise just sounds very unnatural to me.

For the computer freezing and shutting down i think i narrowed it down to the RAM. I tried running memtest (the windows version) and at some point during the test my computer will always crash (tried it 4 times and 4 crashes during!) but then i was advised to try memtest86+ instead, so i created a bootable cd from www.memtest.org and ran the test. Everyone says that the test will take a long time (around 12 hours or so), but for some reason my test only lasted 10 mins. It performed two tests, found no errors and booted to windows after 10 mins. Am i doing something wrong with memtest86+??

so im a bit confused atm, since one memtest (downloaded from http://hcidesign.com/memtest/) crashes my computer so i would think the RAM is the issue, but then the 'proper' memtest (memtest86+) shows no errors, but only works for 10 mins...

any ideas are much appreciated guys!!

thanks!

First on Memtest, it should be run on each stick individually (still takes a long, long time, so I normally suggest 4-5 passes), that way you isolate a bad stick if any, also running multiple sticks can cause errors in of itself. On to the larger issue, it's never a good idea to mix sets of DRAM, even of the same model as it can be problematic (i.e. the two sets don't want to play nice) which is why DRAM is available in all different quantities of GBs, a single set is always the best way to go, that way you know that all the sticks in the set are tested to work together and are properly programmed to run under XMP, with XMP the Advanced timings will differ from a two to a four stick set i.e. with 4 sticks, you'll normally run a slightly higher tRAW and a much higher tRFC. My suggestion would be to first ensure you have the latest BIOS, see if that helps, and if not raise the DRAM voltage + .05, and the CPUVTT + .07

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

thanks for the reply tradesman! like you say memtest should take a long long time, but mine only lasts a few mins. why isnt it testing it for a long time?
      and sorry i dont get what you mean by mixing sets of DRAM even if its the same model. I have 4 of the exact same sticks and same size, so shouldn't they automatically just work well together unless i have a duff ram stick?

i flashed my motherboard to the latest firmware, and still the issue persists. But how exactly would increasing the voltage help the situation?

Thanks a lot!

Comment

You have two sets of 2x4GB correct, so you are mixing sets, anyway that's what you showed "2x4+2x4", as I explained before the programming in the sticks within the SPD is based on the individual set you bought, so each set is programmed for 2x4GB - you are running 4x4GB - TWO sepatate set, which is why I specified 'even of the same model' - If every stick had the same exact programming in it they wouldn't even bother selling them by the set. And since a BIOS can't be programmed to exactly take every possible combination of sticks that might get stuck on the mobo, it tries to adjust for what it can to the programming of the sticks that are installed - therefore slight voltage adjustments can offer overcome slight incompatibilities between sticks or sets - Best bet is always to buy 1 set of the entire amount of DRAM you want - then you know (with GSkill DRAM anyway) that all the sticks in the set are tested to work together

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

is the click ur sound card relay clicking they are ment to i have a asus xonar xense and it has a relay that clicks twice on start up and the same time as the windows tune and shut down
          Last edited by kawasakizx10rr; 07-02-2012, 03:56 PM.
          cpu : intel core i7 3820
          motherboard : asus rampage iv extreme
          ram : g skill ripjaws 32gb
          cooler : corsair h100
          gpu : ati gigabyte radeon 2gb 6970
          psu : novatech 1000w gold series
          case : thermatake chaser mk1
          hdd 1 : seagate baracoda 500gb
          hdd 2 : corsair force 3 serise 120gb
          fan controller : nzxt sentry 2
          sound card : asus xonar xense

Comment

Haven't used that card, might check with Asus, I've run into both cards and speakers that often pop out a clicking type noise at startup and shutdown, which is often associated with power being applied or cutoff, might try shutting off speakers before shutdown and turning on after initial startup

Tman

Comment

Working...
            X