Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choose my RAM! Asus P6X58D-E

Hi all,

NewB here! I would appreciate suggestions on RAM selection. Newegg is having a 10% sale and I need to get my RAM up. I use the box for work, CAD - ProEngineer and SolidWorks. I've started doing more database stuff and now am needing to support VMs running Oracle and Agile... Bottom line, I need RAM!

Right now I have 6G. I know this mobo is not known for its ability to handle lots and can be tricky with all 6 banks filled. I tried 6x2 but never could get it stable ('nother brand ram!) So, I want to dump my 3x2 and put in 3x4 for 12G.

I did search the DDR3 forum for P6X58 and have read many of the thread from beginning to end and these helped. I think it was Tradesman that posted in one thread that the low voltage parts may not be the best choice for this mobo.

there is a recent thread about setting up with F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL, that is certainly an option too.

My request is for recommendation for 12G or maybe 16g that will be the most stable. This is my bread and butter. I cannot afford down time and reboots/BSOD leading to lost time. Slight overclock and such is certainly possible, I chose everything to have that headroom - but the goal is to achieve stability not max OC.

Any suggestions?

The Model #s I was considering are:
    F3-12800CL9T-12GBRL DDR3 1600, 1.5V 9-9-9-24
    F3-12800CL9T-12GBSR2 DDR3 1600, 1.25V, 9-9-9-24
    or
    F3-10666CL7T-12GBRH DDR3 1333, 1.5V, 7-7-7-21

The system is:
    Asus P6X58D-E
    Corsair TX650 power supply
    Lian Li PC-K62 case (2x140 top fans, 1x140 front fan, 1x12o rear fan)
    i7-920, lapped but not clocked
    Kingwin heat-pipe cooler w/ 120mm fan (xt-1264)
    Nvidia FX1800 graphics

Cheers and Thanks!

Of those listed I'd go with the 1600 RJs - F3-12800CL9T-12GBRL, second choice would be the 1600 Snipers, but to be honest not sure how well your mobo does with low voltage sticks

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks T-Man! Sorry for the slow shout out, been hectic here!

I was kind of hoping that more people might add from experience to the thread. I'll go with your suggestion, that model # kit matches closely the only 3x4 kit that is in the approved list when it was published.

I don't know if I'll ever need to take it to 24G, but it would be nice if the board would accept and be stable with 2 kits. It sure wasn't w/ 2 kits of the OCZ, but I think the second kit has a bad module and even if I get an RMA for that, it'll be faster and likely more reliable to get to 12 this way!

Have a happy and safe 4th of July!

Cheers,
      PT

Comment

It's basically the same with any DRAM, anytime you mix two sets of sticks, even of the same exact model of sticks it can be problematic. Set's of sticks have an SPD that is programmed for the packaged set, so once you add an additional set, beyond the base timings (like 9-9-9-27) all the advanced timings (another dozen or so) are sort of up in the air as the programming for the set is only for 2 sticks and you might have an individual set that needs say a tRFC of 88, but with 4 sticks it may need a tRFC of 170, since that isn't in the set, the BIOS has to try to fit in a number that may be appropriate for a generic 4 stick set, but not for the sticks you have, Often, with lower freq sets say 1600 and below you can compensate with voltage adjustments, but the higher the freq and the higher the total amount of DRAM the harder it gets, then you almost have to be able to go in and manually set up the Advanced Timings which even for those with an extreme amount of experience can be very trying - I know I hate having to do it....especially when I know it can't always be done, there are times that two sets just won't play together

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

12G not recognized at first

I received the 3x4 kit, F3-12800CL9T-12GBRL, today.

When I first installed it I left the BIOS 0701 set at Auto for everything, the system booted without complaint, but Windoze only found 8G.

I searched the forums knowing that this was a known issue with x58 systems, though I knew it wasn't bent pins or CPU cooler 'cause I was just running 3x2G. I found settings and set my BIOS as follows:

DRAM Frequency DDR3-1333
          QPI/DRAM Core Voltage 1.30
          DRAM Bus Voltage 1.56

DRAM CAS Latency 9
          DRAM RAS to CAS Delay 9
          DRAM PRE Time 9
          DRAM RAC Act to Precharge 24
          DRAM Ref Cycle Time 88
          DRAM Timing Mode 2N

Everything not mentioned is still sitting at default, AUTO.

Booted, but still 8 and not 12 recognized....

Pulled all modules, ran an eraser over contacts and blew clean w/ canned air. reset in sockets and 12G recognized!

I've not performed any memory tests yet, but so far the system seems stable, no BSOD.

Any one have suggestions on improving these settings? I will probably go back in and bump the frequency back to DDR3-1600. At some point I'll try some clocking, but right now I just need to get my VM back up and some work done!

Thank you again Tradesman for the help and suggestions.

Cheers,
          PT

Comment

Glad to hear up and running, should just be able to set to 1600 and go run with the increased bandwidth 1600 will provide....and as a suggestion for future use, where you used the eraser, even blowing them with compressed air can leave mini pieces stuck to the gold contacts (same with q-tips and leaving small fibers- lint free cloths are good, but best I've found is some of the small foam makeup swabs/applicators works with rubbing alcohol

Tman

Comment

Working...
            X