One bad F3-12800CL9-4GBXL spoiled the bunch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One bad F3-12800CL9-4GBXL spoiled the bunch

I've been troubleshooting an unstable system, and some suggestions over at the MSI forum led me to some testing that points to a bad RAM stick. I'm looking to find out if I can RMA the one bad stick (of 4). Here are the details:

Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 (BIOS Version E7752IMS V2.4
    CPU: Intel Core i7-2700K Sandy Bridge
    PSU: CORSAIR HX850 850W
    RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Model F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL (individual RAM sticks are reported as F3-12800CL9-4GBXL)
    (let me know if other details are needed)

The problem: general system instability - program crashes, system lock-ups, and BSODs. The folks on the MSI forum helped me get the BIOS settings set up for this RAM, and I continued to have the same issues.

Another suggestion was to use a single RAM stick at a time, in DIMM1, and retest for stability. Where I was normally able to experience instability very easily running 3DMark11, I could run just fine with 3 of the 4 RAM sticks inserted into DIMM 1 independently. The 4th stick had the same issues I was experiencing with all 4 RAM sticks inserted.

I now have the 3 good sticks in the first 3 RAM sockets, and all is well.

So, I've come to the conclusion that I have one bad RAM stick. What can I do about this? Btw, I originally built this system with a different motherboard a few months ago, and was experiencing random BSODs, and thought I'd try my luck with the MSI motherboard. Same issues. Anyway, I bought this RAM few months ago. Can I still RMA?

Yes, sounds like a bad stick, will want to contact rma@gskillusa.com in the Americas or rma@gskill.com for the world

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Hmm, just got another BSOD (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA). And this is with the 3 "good" sticks. Running Memtest86 now, and discovering many errors found.

I've emailed rma@gskillusa.com, and await their reply.

Comment

Let us know how it goes

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
        X