X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD APU Memory?

Thank you in advance for your help.

I am building a budget gamer.
    I will be pairing an AMD A8 3870K (unlocked) 3.0 with the Gigabyte GA-A75-UD4H. I want the memory to be as fast as possible and I am interested in this kit: F3-17000CL9D-8GBXM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231476

Will it work? Is there a better option for speed? I do want at least 8g of memory.

Thank you again.

I don't think you'll hit 2133 with that CPU, think I'd suggest 1866 with the thought might have to drop to 1600.....to that end I'd suggest the Snipers 1866/CL9 set F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR, depending on your OC these will OC up through 2133 or if you need to drop they'll generally drop to 1600 and can often run at CL7 there

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

The MB says it supports 2400... And that's the unlocked black edition of the apu. I think it can be done. I just want to know if that set is compatible.

Comment

Just for info purposes, the mobo advertising up to 2400 DRAM is based on the chipset specs, whether one can get sticks to run at 2400 (or even 2133) can depend on the users skills, as an OC is required - more info on mobo QVL lists here:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10566

On this mobo they show NO 2133 or above 4GB sticks, closest is a 2000 set - and keep in mind most mobos are tested at the mobo's default freq, which is generally at 1333 or 1600 - not at the fully rated DRAM freq of the set.

I won't say they won't run, butwith what little experience I've had with this CPU, I can't say they will run at full freq, because among other things AMD is noted for having weak MCs (Memory Controllers), and the best I've seen these run is 2 sticks of 1866

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I think I will go with this set then F3-1866C9D-8GAB. They are listed in the retailer's compatibility list so I will start there.

Comment

Sorry to have been a downer, I don't have the data that GSkill has, but have run into more problems with AMD and their MCs and claims, remember they advertised the latest FX CPUs originally as being able to run 1866 as native, I got into it with them on that and they finally backed off of the claim (the CPU is native 1333) and are more correctly adverting that the CPU's can run UP TO 1866 AT 1 DIMM per channel....countless folks went out and spent big bucks on 4 stick sets of 1866 and 2133 and ended up running them at 1600. I just try and be honest and realistic with folks, hate to see people pay premium for high freq DRAM that the system can't run

Tman

Comment

Working...
            X