• Show
Clear All

• G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB & ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 MB

Here's the RAM I bought recently:

G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3
    1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C8D-8GAB

My MB is: ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3
    My CPU is: Intel Corei5 (2500K)

Note: Everything is currently at default settings. No updates/no changes by me, yet.

My Motherboard's "Extreme Tuning Utility" shows that my DRAM Voltage is: 1.529V

According to the Newegg website (where I bought the RAM), the Voltage setting should be: 1.5V

Link to Newegg's page about this specific RAM and its Voltage & Timing:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231548

Do I also need to manually set the Timing? If so, where and how do I do that correctly?

I'm a novice at of this, so I'm asking if I need to change "something, somewhere" to set the RAM to the proper value? I do not want to harm my brand-new computer build.

What do you suggest?
    MB: ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 * CPU: Intel Corei5 (2500K) * GPU: Intel Onboard * SOUND: Onboard * CPU COOLER: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo * PSU: Seasonic X650W 80+Gold * RAM: G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB-F3-1600C8D-8GAB * CASE: LIAN LI PC-A70F, ATX Full-size all Aluminum Tower.

If everything is currently on AUTO then it's possible it's correct, but more likely the DRAM may be at 1333, regardless the best way to go is in the BIOS, you can do a couple of things, one would be enable XMP, and then select the 1600 profile which should set everything up for you automatically, and more importantly, correctly. Then boot, shutdown and start back up and go into BIOS to check, DRAM voltage should be set now in the BIOS as 1.5, your DRAM base timings should be 8-8-8-24, CR (Command Rate/ Timing) should be 2T or 2N......and you should be ready to go......If DRAM voltage shows other in the tuning software, I wouldn't worry, nor would I really depend on what it says, in part that software is somewhat generic, and seldom up to date as far as the BIOS, it should show close, but is not always spot on accurate....any problems, give a holler back, am pretty much always in and out over the weekends........and most days (sigh.....)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
      If everything is currently on AUTO then it's possible it's correct, but more likely the DRAM may be at 1333, regardless the best way to go is in the BIOS, you can do a couple of things, one would be enable XMP, and then select the 1600 profile which should set everything up for you automatically, and more importantly, correctly. Then boot, shutdown and start back up and go into BIOS to check, DRAM voltage should be set now in the BIOS as 1.5, your DRAM base timings should be 8-8-8-24, CR (Command Rate/ Timing) should be 2T or 2N......and you should be ready to go......If DRAM voltage shows other in the tuning software, I wouldn't worry, nor would I really depend on what it says, in part that software is somewhat generic, and seldom up to date as far as the BIOS, it should show close, but is not always spot on accurate....any problems, give a holler back, am pretty much always in and out over the weekends........and most days (sigh.....)
      Tradesman, thank you for your reply! After reading it thoroughly, I followed your suggested steps.

I found out that the BIOS is setup using the "1600" in AUTO Mode.
      Here's what my BIOS lists currently:

[ASRock UEFI Setup Utility]
      Load XMP Setting -------- AUTO
      XMP 1.2 Profile1: 8-8-8-24 1.50V DDR3-1600
      CAS# Latency (tCL) -------- 11
      Row Precharge time (tRP) -- 11
      RAS# Active Time (tRAS) --- 28
      Command Rate (CR) -------- 1N <<== Note: This does not match what you said.

But... the Description dialog of the "Load XMP Setting" says:

"This motherboard supports XMP 1.3 standard, please install XMP 1.3 memory modules to enable it."

QUESTION: Does that mean that I purchased the wrong type of RAM for this motherboard?

I also noticed that this GSKILL web site does not even list ASRock brand motherboards, unless I missed them on the list? I was looking to find some sort of MB compatibility for my current RAM.

And, finally... Is it possible that my PSU changes the RAM Voltage setting automatically, depending on useage requirements, etc.?
      MB: ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 * CPU: Intel Corei5 (2500K) * GPU: Intel Onboard * SOUND: Onboard * CPU COOLER: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo * PSU: Seasonic X650W 80+Gold * RAM: G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB-F3-1600C8D-8GAB * CASE: LIAN LI PC-A70F, ATX Full-size all Aluminum Tower.

Comment

Look at the profiles available under XMP and see if there is one for 1.3, if not, disable XMP and input the base timings manually to the 8-8-8-24 and would initially put the CR to 2N, then if all is stable can try 1N which would be a slight performance boost. The voltage may be off slightly based on how the BIOS is regulating voltage, but should be fine where you are

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks Tradesman. I went into the BIOS, but there is no way to disable XMP. It's only 2 options are: AUTO, or use the listed Profile 1.2. There is no option for Profile 1.3. (I believe that's what the message in the Description was referring to).

And, I think you missed reading in my post that the Profile that I'm using currently already has the CR set as follows: "Command Rate (CR) -------- 1N"

Previously asked questions still needing answers:

* Whether the RAM I bought is the right/wrong type for this MB. Need answer to this.
          * Whether or not my PSU is varying the RAM Voltages, when needed.
          * Why isn't my ASRock Extreme 3 Gen 3 MB listed on the GSkill's web site (for RAM compatability verification)?

With these questions answered, I should be done with this topic.

Comment

Do you have the latest BIOS? If so, it's not set correctly for these sticks (which is common, the Ares is a newer line). Yes I saw that the CR is set to 1N, and was suggesting starting with 2N, the BIOS set it to 1N, Will want to get all stable before changing the CR to 1N, which is tighter.

To the questions, the sticks should work fine, even if the BIOS isn't ready for them, but need to input the timings manually.

No, the PSU should not be varying voltage to the DRAM, the voltage goes into the mobo, which regulates the voltage via the BIOS and it can fluctuate slightly (i was pointing out the software package is generic and not fine tuned to an individual BIOS version.

Basically, there's no way for any DRAM or mobo manuafacturer to test all possible combinations of mobo, DRAM and CPU that are possible....generally as in the case of the Ares, when a new line of DRAM comes out, initial testing will be done with the newer mobos and then to older sockets/lines of mobos as time permits and also dependent on the availability of the mobos to testers.

Tman

Comment

Okay. I guess that has answered all I need to know. I have only a few last thoughts, but you don't need to reply. You've done a lot for me, already!

My final thoughts are:

1. I cannot update the BIOS for this board, because there isn't one newer than what I have, unless I upgrade my CPU to an Ivy Bridge, which I am not going to do. This (corei5 2500K) CPU is rated 'best' for use with my Z68 board.

2. Unless the BIOS (parameters) are updated, then from what you said, I cannot set it up correctly for these sticks. Therefore, these sticks are really NOT compatible with this board's BIOS. Nobody anywhere mentioned that (including ASRock, and Tom's Hardware Guide) before I bought it. Live and learn. heh heh.

Oh, well. It seems to be working now except for certain issues with forums conflicts with my IE9 64-bit and/or IE9 32-bit, and my Microsoft mouse locking up on forums when trying to type messages. All these issues I'll have to deal with on other web sites.

Thank you, again, for ALL YOUR GREAT HELP!! God bless you, abundantly!

Comment

The newer BIOS should also have DRAM compatibility updates (basically all BIOS updates do).....yes, you can set them up, it simply may have to be done manually (takes a minute)....as far as your mouse, make sure you have the latest driver, and check Windows update for browser updates.....some web sites have conflicts with IE explorer, just as some have conflicts with Firefox or Chrome (browsers, may want to download/install Firefox as an alternative for when you go to a site that seems to have problems w/ IE

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                  The newer BIOS should also have DRAM compatibility updates (basically all BIOS updates do).....yes, you can set them up, it simply may have to be done manually (takes a minute)....as far as your mouse, make sure you have the latest driver, and check Windows update for browser updates.....some web sites have conflicts with IE explorer, just as some have conflicts with Firefox or Chrome (browsers, may want to download/install Firefox as an alternative for when you go to a site that seems to have problems w/ IE
                  What newer BIOS?

I already said:
                  1. I cannot update the BIOS for this board, because there isn't one newer than what I have, unless I upgrade my CPU to an Ivy Bridge, which I am not going to do. This (corei5 2500K) CPU is rated 'best' for use with my Z68 board.
                  I have the latest MS drivers for this mouse. MS updated them again, just this morning - automatically.

I guess it's just webmasters and their software enhancements on their forums. I don't know anything except nobody uses simple, universally acceptable HTML anymore. They mess around doing fancy stuff with Javascript (just because they can!), etc. I guess that's the problem, and I'll have to live with it. At least, most forums are working for me.

Comment

You said you can't upgrade the BIOS - unless you upgrade the CPU - which implies a BIOS upgrade is available that incorporates updates for the IB CPUs - as I explained - basically ALL BIOS updates also have memory compatibility updates included - as well as other updates - if it only says FOR NEWER CPUS or something like that, it is simply the primary reason for the update.

And as I mentioned, might want another browser available for instances like that

Tman

Comment

Working...
                    X