Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Built, Computer freezes, urgent need help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Built, Computer freezes, urgent need help.

Hi all,

Recently i built my system, Its an SandyBridge i7 2600K with 16GB ram, ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 Motherboard, memory is G.SKILL F3-12800CL7Q-16GBXH

Facing a weird problem, I keep my system running 24/7. Every other day, when i turn on the monitor, i see a blank screen, and no activity on the monitor even after moving the mouse or pressing keys on the keyboard. The system is not in sleep mode. I have turned off all the those modes in the control panel.
    The computer freezes (no activity on screen)

I wonder if my ram is compatible with the motherboard, I guess my ram is 1.65v
    Although i guess the mobo automatically sets it to 1.5v, but my guess would be something thats causing the system to freeze.

Do u think its an issue with the memory.
    Its a 16gb ripjawx ram G.SKILL F3-12800CL7Q-16GBXH... and i dont think any of the modules is dead, as i see the entire 16gb showing in my system.
    However there is another weird thing i have observed. The ram is 1600MHz, however it shows only 1333.
    Also the Windows Experience Index shows lower for the memory, and for everything else i get full marks.

The system is an i7 2600K CPU. I need urgent help as this is going to be a webhosting server soon.
    Last edited by MANswers; 06-20-2012, 10:54 PM.

Check to be sure you have the latest BIOS, then enable XMP and select the 1600 profile

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
      Check to be sure you have the latest BIOS, then enable XMP and select the 1600 profile
      Thanks for this tip, after changing these settings, its been two days and my system has not frozen until now. Everythings been working fine.

This memory was pretty expensive as compared to the other 16gb modules when i brought cos of the tight timings 7-8-7-24 and better cas latency of 7.
      I brought this thinking that the memory will work faster that whats available in the market. However my current gripe is, that the Windows Experience Index for the memory is currently 7.7, as compared to my cpu. gpu, and hdd all are 7.9
      Does it mean that my Memory is not fast enough even though its 16gb, with all the better ratings, How can i increase the memory's WEI to 7.9

Comment

WEI is sort of a waste of time, it doesn't really provide any worthwhile performance data...a lot of what 'rankings' it provides are based as the base data of your components, i.e. in part you might get a better ranking with slower sticks i.e. 4x2GB of 1333 than you do with 2x8GB of 1333, simplay because tou have more sticks, the freq of the DRAM also plays in higher freq will provide a higher rating and it often remains constant i.e. if you have 1600 sticks and OC them to 2133 your rating may not change - same things with CPU a stock 3 GHz CPU may provide the same rating at 3GHz as when OCed to 4GHz, HDs also are affected, a mechanical drive basically tops at 5.9 whether it has a 2MB cache or a 32MB cache, 5700 RPM or 7200, or 10,000 RPM....I wouldn't worry about it...but with your set if you wanted you could prob easialy OC the sticks to 1866 at 8-9-8-24 and 1.6 to 1.65 DRAM voltage...might kick you to 7.8 or even 7.9, all depends on what all the formulas are to figure the ratings, I gave up on WEI back with Vista and the Win7 version is even worse

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for your reply Tradesman, i read the same on other forums too.
          You have solved my biggest problem with the system freezing randomly... i am happy. G.Skill forum is great and customer care is top notch.

Comment

Glad to hear all is well and sorry bout WEI I, and numerous other builders, consultants, etc expressed dissatisfaction with WEI throughout the Betas and releases of both Vista and Win7.....but MicroSoft didn't seem to care - so not alot that can be done about it

Tman

Comment

Working...
            X