Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Memory for 3ds Max (F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXM)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory for 3ds Max (F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXM)

Hello guys,

Since 4 GB of memory nowadays are not enough I'd like to have your opinions about a hypothetical setup.

Specs:

Asus P8P67 Pro B3
    Intel Core i7 2600K
    Windows 7 x64

Purposes:

3D-related work and rendering (3ds Max)
    Video editing (Adobe premiere)
    Image editing (Photoshop)
    Sometimes gaming too (latest releases)

Granted that I tried a 4x2 GB setup (two kits, but identical: F3-12800CL6D-4GBXH) that didn't work, do you think this kit suits my needs?

Will I notice performance decreases going from CL6 to CL9? Will performance be negatively affected by using 4 modules instead of 2 in a dual-channel system? If so, why?
    And then what matters most: will rendering time be negatively affected by higher latencies?

Considering their low voltage, how much is it possible to lower the latencies of these memories?

You can recommend me other kits too, especially those which have low latencies and voltage.

Thanks

Moving to 16GB would definitely help, and while yes, there would be a small performance hit going from CL6 to CL9, having twice the DRAM will negate that in overall system performance....Rendering time is more CPU related than the combo of lowCL/total DRAM (and again having more DRAM will make up for the CL differential. You can tighten CL with with increased voltage, to what degree depends on your patience and skills.....Depending on the amount of the work you do, might consider a 2x8GB set that will allow for expansion as well as having 2 sticks opposed to 4 is a little less stress on the MC (Memory Controller)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks, I guess I'll go for this kit since renderings are more CPU-bound and aren't affected by latencies, as we agreed.

Regards

Comment

Anyway, taking into account the possibility, could you recommend a specific 2x8 GB kit? Even 2x4 GB may be fine if they have lower stock latencies without a remarkable voltage increase.

Comment

Think I'd go with the 2x8GB Ripjaws X - F3-1600C9D-16GXM for your combo, it's CL9, but with what you are doing the additional DRAM will prob make up for the diff in CL and w/16 there will be a lot less reads and writes to your page file which will improve things, especially on the net and rendering - plus this set I've worked with a few times already and been able to add a second set of sticks, since it's pretty much a baseling set what with 1600/CL9

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Ok thanks man.

Regards

Comment

Let us know how it goes, think you'll be very happy with them

Tman

Comment

Working...
              X