X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrong configuration for 32 GB

Hello,
    I recently purchased two 16GB kits of DDR3 GSkill RAM memory:
    G Skill Ripjaws Z, 2x16GB, DDR3 PC17000 2133MHz Kit for Intel X79 Quad Channel Platform -
    model number: F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH.

I've found out that on my system (Asus P9X79 motherboard + Intel Core i7 3930K) two 16 GB kits of this memory won't work together, the system won't be stable, and it is hard to configure it, I read that on the Asus forum just today;

now I do not know what to do: should I exchange my two 16 GB kits with different kit combinations?

Will the technical support help me, and replace those kits with the right ones?

I would like to have 32 GB of memory on my system that I can configure and optimize properly, if I keep the ones I've got they will never work well in my computer.

I would like to know if you can give me support for this, because I don't think the vendor, after two weeks now, will take the items back.

Thank you.

Anytime you mix sets it can be problematic, a single 32GB set will be tested to work together and will work under XMP. Many retail/e-tail outlets allow up to 30 days for return/exchange so you can try that, believe GSkill will work with you on an exchange for a single set.....that out of the way, make sure you have the latest BIOS and then post your DRAM timings and system voltages and we'll see if we can get them running, since XMP won't work with multiple sets, we can prob adjust the Advanced timings to get them to play together, I'll be leaving shortly this AM but should be back soon after lunchtime - maybe about 2 or so (PST)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Yes, I've got the latest BIOS from Asus (vs 1103)

Where exactly can I find these settings "DRAM timings and system voltages" in the BIOS so I'll post them?

Are you confident that you can find a right configuration for these two sets and that it will run stable? I hope so...

My system:

Windows / 64bit
      Intel core i7 3930k
      Asus p9x79 Deluxe
      Asus Geoforce GTX 560Ti
      Corsair HX850W PSU

Comment

First thing you should do is to pursue an exchange for a single 32gb Kit (the kit will have 4x8gb) Then you can just set XMP profile in BIOS.
        This cat scratches free.
        Intel i5 2500k @ 4ghz Offset - 0.015v | Asus P8P67 EVO | 12gb GSkill RipjawsX F3-14900CL8D-4GBXM 2x2gb & F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL 2x4gb 1866 9-10-9-28@1.6v | AMD HD6850 1GB | Enermax Infiniti 650w (28a,28a,30a) | 2xWD500 Caviar Black & Blue | CM Haf-912 Advanced | Noctua NH-U12P SE + Akasa 12cm Viper | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 | AMD Catalyst 13.10b

Comment

System voltages are generally grouped together - items like PCL VOLTAGE, VCCSA VOltage, CPUVTT VOltage DRAM VOLTAGE etc.....RAM timings will be under like ADVANCED TIMINGS, SECONDARY TIMINGS, etc

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Where did you purchase? There is 30 day return/exchange policy at most places.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

I purchased at HotDeals4Less, Las Vegas (the other side of the world from where I live), I've asked them, and they told me it's OK they will exchange it for me, they've been very kind.
              I've sent it back,
              so now I'm waiting...

Thank you for your help and advice,

Comment

Let us know how it goes, we'll be waiting to hear

Tman

Comment

Hi there,

I finally got my new kit: it's 8 x 4GB sticks, 32GB kit
                  F3-17000CL9Q2-32GBZH

I was expecting 4 x 8Gb set, and I got 8 dimms of 4GB,
                  I wonder : should I just plug them in as they are, no particular order, and just set the Bios to XMP?

Will it work well now?
                  And what is the difference between "4 x 8 sticks" and "8 x 4 sticks", which one is better?

Thanks,

Bambee

Comment

I'd say give it a try, unless you wanted the 4x8GB....4x8GB is obviously less sticks, so less stress on the MC and allows you 4 empty slots in the event you want to try and add more later on. No real order is needed, as a complete set, they've been tested to work together, so go for it and let us know how it goes.

Tman

Comment

Working...
                    X