not all of ram showing up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not all of ram showing up

I e-mailed ustech@gskillusa.com 2 days ago and still waiting for a replay so I figured I post here.

System Spec:
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL6D-4GBXH (ordered 2 set so I have a total of 8GB, 4x2GB)

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

EVGA DS SuperClocked 01G-P3-1567-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

SeaSonic Platinum Platinum-860 860W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I72600K

Intel 520 Series Cherryville SSDSC2CW120A3K5 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

CORSAIR H100 (CWCH100) Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

HT | OMEGA STRIKER 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card

Operating System : Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit

Not all of the RAM amount is showing up in BIOS. I took out all the ram. I added stick1 into slot A1 and it show up as 2GB. I added stick2 into slot A2 and now the total show up as 4GB. I then moved stick1 and stick2 into slot B1 and B2 just to see if all the slots on the board are working and it did show up 4GB of ram. Then I remove stick1 and stick2 and put in stick3 and it show up 2GB. Then I put in stick4 and the total show up as 4GB. So it seems like all the ram stick and the slots on the board are good. But it only shows up 4GB when I put in all 4 sticks of ram. I even removed the CPU and heatsink and put it back. Motherboard has the latest BIOS, even tried a few older BIOS and still has the same problem. I tried XMP but it won’t even post.
    Last edited by AndD; 06-13-2012, 08:03 PM.

XMP won't work w/ two sets, it works by the set, so you'll want the timings in manually. Next, with all four sticks, how much DRAM shows up in the BIOS, does it show all 4 sticks and 8GB? If so the problem lies w/ the OS. Might first check that the 64 bit version is loaded, Ultimate has both versions on the DVD, can go to My Computer, right click and select properties, will tell if 32 or 64 is loaded. Should also show how much DRAM. If it is 64 bit, can check if Win7 is limiting DRAM, by going to START, type MSCONFIG in the search box, when the window opens, select the BOOT tab, then ADVANCED and make sure MAX MEM option is unchecked. If no joy after this, might check the socket for bent/broken/missing pins or thermal compound on the bottom of the CPU or in the socket. Let us know if any of this helps

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
      XMP won't work w/ two sets, it works by the set, so you'll want the timings in manually. Next, with all four sticks, how much DRAM shows up in the BIOS, does it show all 4 sticks and 8GB? If so the problem lies w/ the OS. Might first check that the 64 bit version is loaded, Ultimate has both versions on the DVD, can go to My Computer, right click and select properties, will tell if 32 or 64 is loaded. Should also show how much DRAM. If it is 64 bit, can check if Win7 is limiting DRAM, by going to START, type MSCONFIG in the search box, when the window opens, select the BOOT tab, then ADVANCED and make sure MAX MEM option is unchecked. If no joy after this, might check the socket for bent/broken/missing pins or thermal compound on the bottom of the CPU or in the socket. Let us know if any of this helps

BIOS only show a total memory of 4096 MB (DDR3 1333Mhz).
      Spec on the memory: http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=352
      CAS Latency: 6-8-6-24-2N
      Test Voltage: 1.5 Volts
      Intel XMP (Extreme Memory Profile) Ready

Show that it is 64-bit OS and only 4GB of RAM installed. The Maximum Memory box is uncheck under BOOT Advanced Options. I didn't notice any thmermal compound under the CPU or in the socket when I cleaned off the old thermal compound and apply MX-4 thermal compound. As far as I can tell I didn't see any bent/broken/missing pins.

CPU-Z detect 8192 MB of memory?

So I have to set the timings manually? How do I do that?

Comment

Sounds like there may be a problem with the BIOS, do you have the latest BIOS? Might also take a look here:

http://i4memory.com/ramdetect

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Yes I have the lastest BIOS and also try a few older BIOS

Comment

Have a bad feeling it's a bad mobo or CPU, could try and see if anyone has four sticks you could borrow and give them a try and that would tell if it's the sticks. Might also check and make sure all the standoffs ate screwed in snugly, and no metal is touching anything that might cause a short....also might try removing the mobo and set it up on a table in a bench setting, that might identify a short

Tman

Comment

Let me try setting the timing manually. Which one do I need to change? I see lots of boxes.

Comment

In the secondary timings, they look off to me-- might try from DRAM RAS# to RAS# delay

5 - 152 - 5200 - 10 - 6 - 24 - 6 - 5

Tman

Comment

Do I leave the last 3 boxes for secondary timings as 7 - 34 - 34?

Comment

Yes, give that a try

Tman

Comment

Computer won't post when I changed secondary timings to the above values

Comment

I'll drop a note to GSkill Tech, see if he can take a look Wed

Tman

Comment

Still waiting for a solution to this problem

Comment

Will try GSkill Tech again, the guy I normally work with is off for a week but they are suppose to have a couple of folks filling in

Tman

Comment

Dear Customer,

Please give us a call at 909-598-6860. We will do our best to assist you.

-G Skill Support

Comment

Working...
                              X