Question about purchasing RAM matched with the 1090T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about purchasing RAM matched with the 1090T

Hi, I've built several computer in the past, but one of the parts I've never really spent much time researching is RAM. I know the basics, but when it comes to the clock speed, timings, and associations with various CPUs I'm kind of at a loss.

I'm planning on buying a new set of RAM, but not sure which would be the best to purchase.

I have a 1090T with a Gigabyte 990 board.

I was at first just going to get the GSkill 1600 Ripjaws, but then as I read more I thought I would attempt some overclocking and pick up the 1866 Ripjaw. The 2133 Sniper's are currently on sale for $50 at Newegg and they are also temping me.
    If I can get the 1600 for roughly the same price as the 2133 set is there anything that makes the 1600 a better purchase than the others? As far as I can tell from reading a bit, I won't get the 2133 sticks up to that speed with my CPU, but I can manually OC them 1700ish while still remaining very stable.

So, I guess my ultimate question is, would getting these
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231519
    be worth getting over the equivalent 1600 or 1866s?
    Any advice available would be greatly appreciated.

To start the Snipers roughly equate, performance wise to a set of 1866/CL10 or 1600/CL9, at 2133 it will obviously have more bandwidth, (for a rough idea of differences in DRAM performance at stepped freq/CL might see:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10602

With the 1090T you might be able to get the sticks to 2133, w/ a decent OC as they are CL11 and would guess 1866 shouldn't be a real problem

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Definitely worth it, especially when it's basically the same price.

Higher frequency memory will allow better timings when used at a lower frequency. So instead of CL9 when you purchase DDR3-1600/1866 memory, you can attempt CL8 and even CL7 if you use the DDR3-2133 model. So whether just a little bit or a lot of overclocking, you can expect great results.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
      X