Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 stick in 16GB kit failed

Hello,
    Troubleshooting random Win7 64bit crashes I discovered that one memory module failed.
    Memtest86+ ver 4.2. One stick at a time in slot 1 test showed consistently just a stream of errors. Placing this stick in any slot with 16GB configurations caused errors. Running on 3 stick was always fine.

Memory is a F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL kit.
    No overclocking of anything. BIOS settings are the defaults: CL9-9-9-24 1.5V.

MSI X79-GD45, UEFI 1.6,
    i7-3280, 16 Gb G.Skill 4x4GB DDR3-1600 kit
    Corsair VX450W +12V~33A, +5V~20A, +3.3V~20A

I will ask for RMA because it looks like the memory module has a problem. My question is: should I / do I have to replace the whole 4 module kit, or replacing just the failed memory module. My MB supports Quad-Channel mode.
    Thanks

If within the return window of your e/re-tailer can go that route, else RMA....I'd replace the entire set, though I believe GSkill will work with you on it, in the Americas contact rma@gskillusa.com else rma@gskill.com

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Unfortunately it is past the 30 day Newegg window, so I will contact gskillusa.com.
      The whole kit? This is kind of unfortunate, my machine runs on 3 sticks fine but will not without.
      Thanks a lot, appreciate the help.
      Peter

Comment

As I mentioned, as far as I know they'll work with you, I suggest a full kit because any time you mix sets even if the same model it can be problematic, you would be mixing 1 stick - more than likely from a different production lot with 3 others, with the whole set you get sticks that are all tested to play together.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

An update>
          I have a feeling this is getting worse.
          After about 6 hours with 3 sticks I got another BSOD.
          Minidump analysis suggested memory corruption.
          Quick Memtest*86+ is showing all red again, but I tested six ours earlier the same configuration and everything was good. Will run individual tests on each stick after work.
          Is it just a coincidence? Looks like the second stick has failed.
          I just downloaded RMA_Request form.
          Thanks
          Peter

Comment

Might try DRAM voltage at 1.55 just to see if mobo isn't regulating voltage correctly, and try in different slots to see if a slot or two may be bad or going bad

Tman

Comment

Must be a module.
              Tested them again in slot 1 and one was bad, thousands of errors just flowing on the screen.
              Removed that one, tested the remaining two together for 10 hours overnight, no issues.

So I just wrote to rma@... and send the form for RMA request.

I have one more question though. My Ripjaws quad kit is of X series that is 'optimized for 1155 socket' and I use 2011 socket mobo. Is there a difference between X and Z quad kits other than heat spreader design?

Thanks
              Peter

Comment

The 2011 socket and it's CPUs utilize XMP 3 (primary in the Z series sticks) as opposed to the native XMP 2 that the X series sticks have (though if you have a newer set of the X sticks they have began adding aa XMP - 3 profile (though to be honest at 1600 it's basically the exact same)

Tman

Comment

Working...
                X