X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random computer crashing

Please tell us the details of your system specifications

Model of the motherboard: Asus P8z68-V Pro
    Model of the memory: F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM (4 x 4GB = 16 GB total)
    Model of the CPU: i7-2600k

What is the problem?

Computer is crashing to power off for no reason ... only when playing games (SWTOR and Diablo III)

Reboot, comes back up but crashes again after few minutes of game play.
    Suspect memory because I can not get memcheck86+ to run for very long no matter what combination of ram I used. I have checked them in different slots, and different order. Funny thing is.. memcheck does not give errors.. it just hangs.

This is a system I built myself and it's been running fine for almost a year. This crashing problem is new. I thought I had it fixed a few days ago.. I updated MB bios to latest version, put everything to very conservative default settings, and ran Prime85 for couple hours with no problems. But it's started crashing again now so I don't think I really solved the problem.

Memory settings in BIOS are all default ..1.5V, 24 8 8 8 ... detected and set automatically by the bios just fine.

With all this information, we will do our best to help you get your computer running smoothly.

Any ideas?

-Jim

Does it basically only crash during games - if so the graphics driver may be the problem. For the DRAM though, since you appear to be running two sets, which can be problematic in itself, I'd try running all the sticks at stock timings and raise the DRAM voltage + .06 or so, or at 1.56, try that, then if still problems may want to raise the MC (Memory controller voltage a tad +.04 or so

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

What video card and driver are you using

Comment

I'm using AMD catalyst 12.3 ... though today I see 12.4 is out so I will be updating. I have 2 MSI 6950 2GB in crossfire. I pulled one out to see if that helped ... it was EXTREMELY hot so maybe it's overheating. They are not overclocked other than what MSI did at the factory. The other one was fine but was not loaded so that's kind of inconclusive.

Back to the memory thing ... what do you mean running 2 sets can be problematic? Is this normal or is there something different I should have done when I picked this system's components?

I bumped the DRAM voltage to 1.5625 (have to increase in 0.0625 increments). As far as the controller voltage, I did not see that exactly. Instead I see

DRAM DATA REF Voltage CHA Auto
        DRAM CTRL REF Voltage CHA Auto
        DRAM DATA REF Voltage CHB Auto
        DRAM CTRL REF Voltage CHB Auto

assuming the CTRL REF is what you meant, when I move them off auto I see a flat 0.3965 voltage ...and I can increase it from there. Is this what you meant? I assume I would do this on both channel A and B

Thanks for all the help

-Jim

Comment

to correct the above post slightly

I put the DRAM voltage to 1.5625 V (MB lets me increment in 0.00625 steps)
          CTRL voltage are at 0.395 V (and can be incremented in 0.005 steps)

Comment

On the DRAM, yes, even when micing the same model it can be problematic, with todays DRAM you run into the chances of sticks from different productions lots, or use of components from different productions lots, and with tolerances being so tight, they may not want to play together, which is why sets are offered in all imaginable quantities and each set is tested to work as a set

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
            X