Can't Get F3-17000CL11D-8GBSR to Run @ Stock Settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't Get F3-17000CL11D-8GBSR to Run @ Stock Settings

Hey everyone! I first want to say I have heard such great things about this forum that I wanted to come and see if you could help me as I feel I am at my wits end. Thank you so much for any help and insight you can provide. Let me say I have overclocked and built systems on many different platforms over the years but this is my first venture into the Core i series(P67 Motherboard). I have:

Biostar TP67XE Motherboard
    i5 2500k
    F3-17000CL11D-8GBSR
    Raptors in RAID 0
    460 GTX
    OCZ 600w Stealth PSU

Ok so first mistake I see is that F3-17000CL11D-8GBSR is not listed as compatible for my motherboard. Too bad I didn't notice this at first. One question I have is why is F3-17000CL9D-8GBSR listed as compatible. It seems to be the same set with slightly tighter timings and higher voltage. Moving on...

So F3-17000CL11D-8GBSR only shows one XMP setting which is at 1866 w/ 10-10-10-28 timings. Works fine on that setting. It shows in CPU-Z there is another XMP for 2000 but I don't see it. I have the latest BIOS from the Biostar website.

I also got the following settings for my ram off a Newegg review that the guy said he got from Tradesman on here: CR=2T, CL=11, RP=11, RCD=11, RAS=30, RFC=128, WR=14, WTR=6, RRD=5, RTP=6 and FAW=24

I have manually input those settings and tried the following voltage tweaks:
    PLL up to 1.9v
    VCC SA 1.105
    VCC IO 1.2(up to 1.25)
    Phase Ctrl - Full On
    Enable Load Line Calibration

These were just some settings I got from researching on the internet. Now I have also tried setting the ram on 2133 and SPD timings as well but no go. It seems that turning on PLL Override will allow the ram to boot at 2133(on SPD timings) but it BSODs on the Windows loading screen or shortly after going into Windows. I have never been able to get it to boot and be stable at 2133. So what am I missing? Thanks so much for your time and help.

What does XMP set the timings advanced timings and system voltages to? Biostar is often slow in getting higher freq DRAM up to snuff when it comes to XMP

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

It only lists one of the XMP Profiles and does not even show the option for the second one. For the one that I select it sets the ram to 1866 speed with 10-10-10-28 @ 1T settings. Looking at HWMonitor I see a 1.57 voltage on VIN1(I'm assuming this is the 1.6 for the RAM?). When I'm looking at the BIOS it actually doesn't change the RAM or Voltage settings to reflect what the auto options set so I'm not sure how to monitor or obtain those. Now I know that at 1866 with those timings and settings there is probably little to no performance difference compared to what I would have at 2133 but I just wonder why it will not run at those timings. I figure it's something with the motherboard(and if I would have gotten the Z77 this would probably not be an issue). I had a LGA775 board that supported DDR3 and my 1600 ram would only run at 1333 on that board but once I got this P67 board it worked fine at 1600 so I feel like it's a similar case. Also it's strange to me the board says it supports up to 2200 but there is no 2200 divider in the BIOS(only 2133). Is this because it would use the 2133 with a BClk raise to achieve that? Thanks again for your help. Also did you look at those two models I posted and could explain why the one with tighter timings at 1.65v is supported by my motherboard but this set I got with 1.6v and looser timings isn't?

Comment

Sounds like the BIOS isn't ready for the higher freq sticks, try with the settings manuall, then if still problems, post up your BIOS settings and we'll try and straighten it out manually (will want base timings and Advanced timings (tRC, tRFC, etc) as well as system voltages

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Similiar issue

Model of the motherboard: Biostar TZ77XE3 Ver. 5.x BIOS 4/19/12 latest update
          Model of the memory: [ RipjawsX ] F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL
          Model of the CPU: Intel i5-3570K

So my motherboard manufacturer and G.Skill both don't list each others products as compatible. This is my first computer build and I thought it was as simple as seeing my motherboard has support for Dual Channel DDR3600(OC)/2400(OC)/2133(OC)/1866(OC)/1600/1333/1066 MHz RAM. This RAM is capable of DDR3-2133 (PC3 17000). I thought I'd drop the RAM in and be running at DDR 2133. Instead the fastest I can get it at, is 1600 which is the stock settings. Any modification I make in the BIOS seem to give me the BSOD in Windows.

Do you guys think this is a motherboard issue and I just have to wait for Biostar to update the BIOS to give me support for this RAM?

Comment

That's my guess, I personally am not a big fan of BioStar, (have had trouble with their mobos on a number of occasions)....and I won't say it's not the sticks, but the Snipers are prob my favorite line of sticks and I've used a number of 2133 (both the CL9 and CL11 sets, as well as both the 8 and 16GB sets) and never had a problem, even when mixing sets, which is normally a no-no.

Tman

Comment

Working...
            X