Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus p8z77 and ram incompatibility ?

Hello All,

I got an Intel 3770k CPU with Asus P8z77-V motherboard with 16 gb of G.skill 1600 ram RipjawsX F3-12800CL10S-8GBXL (2 x8 gb).

At first, the main problem was the computer can't stand more than 24 hours of rendering (in Maya).
    In about 15-18 hours, it will either shutdown or restart (no warning).
    So Every time I come back to check on the computer it's either off or on the login page....most of the time restart.

I've tried running the clock lower, at first It was running 4.5Ghz and the temp was about 60-63C still restart/shutdown.
    Then I tried 4.2Ghz, the temp was about 53C, still the same...
    I've also tried to lower down the ram to 1333, still the same...

Finally i tried to take off one of the ram to just 1 piece (8GB). Now it's doing ok, it has been rendering for few days without problem.

What is the problem? Is it ram incompatibility or motherboard error or maybe one of the ram is error? I didn't actually find this type of ram is listed on asus mobo compatibility list

Im thinking to test the second ram by replacing the other ram on the slot, but that's a bit of hassle since the big cooler sit above the first ram.
    Before I do that, maybe you guys have experience this before?

Please advice guys.

many thanks
    Will

Do you have the latest BIOS, also are you running under XMP or manually

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, i've tried manual, auto to XMP but still the same, it would just shutdown/restart if I put 2 pieces of ram, just the matter of how long.

I just notice there is a new bios update from Asus just released (yesterday). However, the ram type is not yet in the compatibility list. Is it too much to have 8gb/piece?

Anyway, Should I update and try again with 2 pieces of ram with this new update?

Comment

Yes, most all of the manufacturers are somewhat just now getting around to updating their BIOSs for 8 GB sticks, don't think they expected for people to jump on the 8GB sticks and more or less make 16GB the standard starting point (which it's rapidly becoming) and then those that are jumping even further to 32 and 64GB + just about every BIOS update has multiple DRAM updates, which they seldom mention...especially since many of the mobos have been advertsed for 32 or 64GB since even before the 8GB sticks were available - makes you wonder why they initially advertise for non-existent possibles

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

AHA...

So let say if I fail again this time, I can solve the problem by buying another 2 pieces to fill all the 4 slots and make it upto 32GB ?

Anyway, I will try to update the bios and post the result (in few days)...finger crossed..

Thanks again.

Comment

No...in fact any time you mix sets of DRAM it can be problematic, which is why all the DRAM manufacturers offer sets in different quantities of DRAM, with GSkill each set is tested so you are assured that all the sticks will work together, additionally XMP is programmed to the SET of sticks as sold, not to individual sticks, so when you mix them XMP won't set the proper settings.....give the new BIOS a try, and if still problems, post your DRAM and system voltage settings and we should be able to get things stable

Tman

Comment

Oh, now I'm a bit more enlighten.
              at first I thought it's allright to mix as long as getting the same brand and same type.

So I can't just get another set of two od the exact same type for future upgrade if needed?

Comment

You can try it and more often than not you can get them to play together with voltage and/or timing adjustments - the big thing is there is no guarantee, which again is why I mention they (GSkill, and all DRAM manufacturers) sell sets of basically any amount of DRAM you might want from 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 12, 16, 24, 32, 64GB of DRAM....Older and slower DRAM was generally much easier to mix and match but as the density of the sticks grow and the frequency then the likelyhood of sticks not playing together grows. Generally the better the mobo and the better the BIOS it's easier to get sets to play nice and an individuals skill makes a lot of difference.....that and our forums help a lot also.

Tman

Comment

Hi again...

I've just updated the latest bios from asus which is the 1205.

It's actually worse than before...I couldn't get into windows..only at login page, and the Blue screen of dead always appear when i login.

A bit frustrated now...need computer to work

Any other idea?

Thanks again

Comment

Can you post your BIOS settings on DRAM timings and system voltages

Tman

Comment

Hi again
                      This is the bios setting:
                      XMP, DDR-1600 10-10-10-32 1.5V
                      Core ram 39
                      Mem Frequency 100.0

Dram voltage 1.5V

I tried to adjust the memory voltage to 1.52V and run memory test using mem86...been running for more than 24 hours without problems...12 pass with no errors

But when I back to windows, render using maya for 4 hours...let it idle for few hours...
                      I came back again and found out the computer was shutdown again.

really2 frustrated.

Comment

recent update...

I tried to stress the CPu using Aida...fine for fews hours
                        Then I tried the GPU....also fine
                        tried to stress the memory....less than 1 minute I got BSOD

Comment

Try the sticks at 1.55 and what are your voltages for VCCSA and MC?

Tman

Comment

Hi,

I just realise that the multiplier was 45x ...I tried lower it to 42 and could run the memory stress on Aida a bit longer.

I'm wondering if I raise the multiplier I also need to raise the ram voltage? What is the best setting for 45x ?

Anyway, this is the bios setting currently:

multiplier 43x
                            Cpu voltage offset + 0.100

VCCSA - 0.925V - Auto
                            Dram - 1.53
                            CPU PLL Voltage - 1.815 - Auto

Dram data ref on CHA -Auto
                            Dram control ref on CHA - auto

Dram data ref on CHB -Auto
                            Dram control ref on CHB - auto

Couldn't find the MC...maybe the bios using other terminology?

Many thanks

Comment

to kick up to 4.5GHZ and using an offset on the vCore, may need to raise it to .2 - .25 or so or just go w/ a fixed voltage to maintain the CPU

Tman

Comment

Working...
                              X