Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asrock Z77 Extreme4 & F3-2133C9Q-16GAB

Hi,

I have recently purchased an Asrock Z77 Extreme4 MB and am considering getting either a F3-2133C9Q-16GAB or F3-1866C9Q-16GAB.

I would prefer to get the 2133 variation as it can handle faster clock speeds, however, Im wondering if:
    1. It is actually compatible with the Asrock Z77
    2. It has an advantage in terms of performance/stability over the 1866
    3. or it is at least 'as good as' the 1866

Also, is there an advantage taking the above considerations into account in having 1.5 v (1866) over 1.65v (2133)

Thanks

Regards

Daniel

The 1866 set is about @GB a second slower roughly 26.5 (2133) vs 24.5 w 1866....given a choice I'd go with the 2133. I've been working with ASRock on the BIOS for the Z77 eXtreme 4 (mailnly because it wasn't set up to handle 16+ GB of 2133 and higher, and now 3 BIOS updates later, it's good to go. I haven't run the Ares on it but am currently running Ripjaws X 2133/CL9 at 2400, and have run the 16GB 2133/CL9 at 2400 also....the 1866/CL9 GSkill sets run fine at stock and the ones I've played with Ripjaws Z 1866/CL9 and a pair of sets of Snipers (8gb sets - so 16GB 4x4GB total) both ran fine with XMP and would OC to 2133 at CL10.

Some of the results of my playing can be found here:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10602

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks Tradesman,

So, do you advise me to get the Ares 2133MHZ PC3-17000 CL9 (C9Q-16GAB)
      as a better option? (due to low profile), and that the Ares will work with the Asrock Z77 Extreme4?

Regards

Daniel

Comment

The Ares should be fine with X4, and yes I'd suggest going with the 2133

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

working well

Hey thar Tradesman, the ram is working super; finally got it....

Its defaulting to 1600 tho...Im wondering what setting will be optimum; or will it automatically adjust with turbo etc mode?

Cheers

Comment

Make sure you have the latest BIOS and then enable XMP, select the profile and should be good to go at the rated spec. Depending on CPU might be able to OC to 2400 if you have a 3770K or a strong 3570K

Tman

Comment

Hey thar Tman,

Memory seems to be automated. No knead 2 muck around with it, IMO..., XMP is on auto.

Another issue tho, 2 in fact: is that the Virtu MVP keeps switching off periodically, saying the internal configuration of the GPU addon card I am using in I-mode, is not configured properly. I found that by switching off the HTPC; and then swiching off power at the wall; and then de-pressing the 'on' button of the HTPC to drain power build up in capacitors - and then waiting for about a min - and then switching on again, usually fixes the problem, but I haven to enable the Virtu MVP by depressing the green 'on' button again, every time this happens....

It would be good not to have to do that. I do have the latest bios for the Z77 Extreme4; the latest drivers, for both the MB and the ATI HisHightech Radeon HD4850 1gig....My monitor is connected to the onboard graphics in I-mode, using ATI as rendering card...

How can this be fixed??

In addtion, point no2. The Broadcom ethernet/internet driver does not work on reboot. I have to uninstall it, and then reboot again, for the driver to 're-install' and work properly again..., and get internet...

These are the 2 main issues. The last issue is that the dehumidifier does not work for 1 min when I set it, it seems to work indefinately, even though I have checked the settings in bios...

Comment

Would have to find some time to look into the on board graphics issues, I always use graphics cards, might check for latest mobo drivers for the ethernet, etc and living in AZ I've never even tried the dehumidifier sorrry, stays extremely dry here

Tman

Comment

Not detecting PCI-X always

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                  Would have to find some time to look into the on board graphics issues, I always use graphics cards, might check for latest mobo drivers for the ethernet, etc and living in AZ I've never even tried the dehumidifier sorrry, stays extremely dry here
                  Hi, I have downloaded all the Intel and ATI graphics drivers; I thought it was an issue with Virtu MVP, however on going into the bios of the Z77, I notice that the MB does not always detect the discrete GPU, as it is not registering in the bios, sometimes it does, and when it does, Virtu MVP works, and I switch it 'on' again, but when there is an error message about Virtu MVP - everytime I boot into bios with F2 : the PCI-express lane shows 'not occupied' and the GPU is not being detected. Its a brand new MB..., and was doing this since I put it together. There is nothing wrong with the GPU.

Also with regards to the Internet connection, I noticed that when it worked, there was only the home network online, but when it stopped, there are a 2nd 'unidentified network' operating. I had to disable and re-enable the connection on many occasons to get it to work. Its working more often now tho...

I just switched the dehumidifier off....lol

The graphics issue is really bothering me, there must be a design or bios flaw..., its a recurring problem I discovered on google searching --- and the bios desperately needs to be looked at with regards to this issue....

Comment

Could be a BIOS problem, could also be an AMD driver problem in using them together, I pretty strickly stick with discrete GPU cards rather than trying to play w/ Virtu, etc

Tman

Comment

Could be a BIOS problem, could also be an AMD driver problem in using them together, I pretty strickly stick with discrete GPU cards rather than trying to play w/ Virtu, etc
                      No, it cannot be an AMD driver problem, as it is not being picked up in the bios. And I updated the bios twice. One of the main reasons I got this board was to be able to use Virtu. I use the discrete card for rendering. I have to reboot a few times for the bios to pick up that its there. At night, I switch the power off at the mains. There has to be a way to get it working properly, its clearly not a problem with Virtu software, but the Z77 Asrock bios, not picking up the card 70% of the time

Comment

Yes it could be in the BIOS, or the Discrete GPU's driver in working w/ Virtu

Tman

Comment

Only bios issue

Yes it could be in the BIOS, or the Discrete GPU's driver in working w/ Virtu
                          How can it be the discrete GPU driver, when its not picking up the cards prescence in the bios before the drivers actually load in windows??

I can -only- be the bios : a fault with the bios...nothing else...

Comment

Might check w/ the mobo maker, as I mentioned I don't use the onboard or Virtu so really am not sure of all the nuances, should have a bit of free time this weekend, if so will attempt to play with it and see what happens

Tman

Comment

...still happening in bios

Might check w/ the mobo maker, as I mentioned I don't use the onboard or Virtu so really am not sure of all the nuances, should have a bit of free time this weekend, if so will attempt to play with it and see what happens
                              It still happens in the bios 95% of the time. Sometimes, when I reboot the bios registers the GPU...Since it is a very common problem on various forums, it is clearly a bios or hardware design problem...

The LAN seems to have sorted itself out 99% of the time, but I disabled XLan....

Comment

Working...
                              X