Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repeated Crashes With Sniper 1866 and Sabertooth Z77

Hi,
    So I built a gaming PC recently, and have started having problems since I CF my system. Here are my Specs:
    Intel Core i5-2500K
    G.Skill Sniper Series 16GB (4X4GB) DDR3 1866 [Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR]
    XFX DD HD 7870 BE (CF)
    OCZ Vertex 4 128GB
    Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
    Thermaltake TPG-1200W
    Asus Sabertooth Z77
    Cooler Master HAF X BE
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
    Asus BD Burner/Samsung DVD Burner
    Acer GD235HZbid
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64
    The problem is, more than half the time when I try to play a game or run a graphics intensive program (Aion, SW:TOR, 3Dmark11), it crashes my computer. Most of the time it won't even go to a blue screen, just go straight into reboot. I've been on the XFX support site with a tech for like two weeks, and nothing has helped. I've uninstalled and re-installed CCC countless times using the drive sweeper and safe boot. I've tried both cards individually(power off, unplugged) and they are both fine alone. I've traded slots with the cards(power off, unplugged), still no help. I've traded PSU's and gone up from a 850W to the current one. I cleared CMOS and it didn't seem to help. I have run window memory test on my ram twice and it has passed. I tried to use GPU-Z, but that is also now crashing my system. I've just got finished trading the RAM around, and it seemed to work the same in all slots, but would still crash 25-50% of the time when I loaded up a game. CPU-Z showed me that all RAM is being read. My BIOS on my mother board is current with the v1015 release, as are all of my drivers for my peripherals. I did make a stupid mistake and by two 8GB kits instead of one 16GB kit, as I had not been informed or read prior that it could cause problems. My timing seem to be on board, but I will try whatever you send my way. I was informed this is probably a memory problem, possibly due to the two kits. Any advise, thoughts?

For 16GB, it would indicate 2 sets of DRAM (and anytime you mix sets, even of the same model, it can be problematic), would suggest ensuring you have the latest BIOS, then manually setting the timings to 9-10-9-28, CR (Command Rate) to 2T and try w/ the DRAM voltage at 1.55, if you still have any problems increase the CPUVTT by about + .07 to + .1

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Sorry, not to sound completely ignorant, but what is CPU-VTT labeled as on my BIOS (for the Z77)? I've looked and well, I am kinda slow i guess.

Comment

VCCSA Voltage

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Arrrg....Still crashing....only now it seems to be getting worse. 9 times out of 10, when I try to open a game program, it now crashes. I'm very confused.

Comment

Also, I am not getting blue screen of death anymore. I get horizontal black lines, then reboot half the time, and the other half is just hard reboot. My Key board/mouse will loose power before signal on sreen stops. Any ideas?

Comment

Can you post your BIOS settings for DRAM and voltages

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

DRAM Timing: 9-10-9-28 CMD 2
                DRAM Volt 1.55
                VCCSA Volt 1.10000

Comment

Do you have the latest BIOS, if no, will want that. IF yes try with just one pair of sticks, enable XMP and see if any problems....then good or bad, try with the other set. If problems with one set and not the other, then give the 'bad' set a try again , make sure firmly seated and try again. If still problems, then will want to test each of the sticks individually with Memtest, on the 'bad' set to see if one or both are bad. If both sets cause problems under XMP, would look to mobo drivers or a bad OS install. If both sets work OK by themselves, then might try DRAM Voltage at 1.6...if still problems will want to see all system voltages as well as the DRAM advanced timings.

Tman

Comment

Okay, I'm trying the memory test on each stick. The first round of single sticks just passed, but there was no notification on reboot on how the sticks did? Was there supposed to be one? I'm now starting the pairs.
                    Last edited by neopunx; 05-30-2012, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Were there problems with one or both sets of DRAM? Are you running Memtest - can get it here:

http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

Tman

Comment

As far as I can tell there has been no problems. I am using the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool, and I think its not working right. I am installing the test you suggested now.

Comment

Should I conduct this Memtest one stick at a time, then dual, then all four?

Comment

One stick at a time, - if you haven't run it before, it can take all night, I'd suggest maybe 4 passes or so, if no errors, kill it and start another stick

Tman

Comment

Sorry, had to go out of town. Before I left I re-installed the OS and now my crashes have completely stop. Is this due to a bad install the first go around or could it be bad memory sticks? I ran them through mem test and they all passed. Not sure whats up now.

Comment

Working...
                              X