Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asus z77 deluxe and what 32kit for ramdisk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus z77 deluxe and what 32kit for ramdisk?

Hello I just joined to get advice from T-man. The memory is one of the computer components I'm least knowledgable on as far as O.Cing, volts latencies, etc. So I'd like to order my ram kit today so I can finish up my build. Parts are as follows:

corsair 650d case
    Asus P8z77-vdeluxe
    i7 3770k
    XFX 7950 3g black edition
    corsair h-100 cooler
    ax750 psu
    lamptron 6-channel touch screen
    crucial 128g ssd & 1tb WD black series
    2 Bluray drives 1 reader/ 1 writer
    Fans: 200mm & 140mm BitFenix, (2) 120mm Scythe Gentle, (2) 140mm T.take Silent-X
    Yamakasi multi 2560x1440 monitor

I use my computer for ACAD, Photoshop, and start some video editing, web browsing. I ussaully have multiple apps opened at the same time. I might o.c. my system around the 4.0 to 4.2 range. I'm looking at gskill ARES F3-1866C10Q-32GAB I had LP 16g version before because of my coolermaster evo 212. I have not installed the h-100 cooler so I'm not sure if there are clearence issues. With that in mind I like the idea from what I read about the ramdisk. Is the ARES F3-1866C10Q-32GAB going to be good for this option. Is there a place you can suggest I can read up on this. How much ram do I keep for my system and how much for ramdisk? Half and half (16 & 16) I'm not quite sure how this works, but if I could get advice on which 32 gig kit to buy and can do more research while I'm waitin for it to arrive. Thank you, Joe

The Ares would be a good set, especially if not sure on clearance since it is a lower profile and 1866 is a good freq, the set should OC well also if you so desire. Will however throw a few things in just as options you can give thought to, first would be you say you 'might' OC to 4 or 4.2. If so there's no need for water cooling....my Z77 is still fairly new, but I generally run it at 4.5 and occasionally 4.6 and it stays in the mid 30's at idle with a Hyper 212 EVO, same as what you mention, (info for others --> which has an adjustable front fan (can be raised, it clips to the fins) and you can add a second fan for push/pull if you like (it comes w/ a set of mounting rails, you have to get the fan)). With something like this you can go to higher profile sticks like the Ripjaws (X or Z) or Trident X -- (my 32 is the Ripjaws X 2133/CL9 currently at 2200 (hopefully 2400 this weekend)). As far as the RAM Disk if you have 16 now might even play some while you wait, might pull down RAMDisk from DataRam here:

http://memory.dataram.com/products-a...ftware/ramdisk

They have a free 4 GB RAMDisk you can download and use for free, think I'd suggest initially set up your browser cache and temp files to the disk (won't use much as with 16/32GB DRAM much of what you do will just sit in DRAM...with this disk, when you shutdown you can have it set up to write everything to a hard drive and reload it when you start back up (put's a hit on startup and shutdown time). From there you can look at the apps most used and redirect their temp files and caches to the RAM Disk and just see how you are progressing and how much you are using....Once you get a bit of a feel for it, you can start loading your apps onto the drive, I normally run utility programs and other small apps from the RAMDrive (hint: on occasion copy the data to the hard drive yourself on occasion, especially if OCing and playing with your settings, so if you crash, you won't lose as much and have to start over (especially apps). Another hint would be to do your saves to the WD drive, you want to avoid as many writes as you can to the SSD, writes are the bane of SSDs and can lead to premature death of them, just like you don't want to defrag them much, SSDs do best with static data that doesn't change. There's lots of info on RAM Drives on the net and things you can do, might look at DataRam (mentioned above (they also have a product that lets you create most any size you want, could also look at:

http://www.speedguide.net/articles/ramdisk-guide-131

and of course if you have any questions or need help, just give a holler, I'm normally in and out and check in off and on during the day

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thank you Tman,
      I looked at the sites you provided and there is some great info there. I sent back the 16 g kit. I'm not using my Cool Mas. 212 EVO because of my elevation. I know Tucson (approx. 2400 ft elev.) can get to 100+degrees quite regularly. Pretty much everyone has air conditioning. I live in the Lake Tahoe, (6300 ft. elevation) the air is quite a bit thinner where I live. 95+% of the homes around Tahoe do not have air conditioning. Which seems to be a factor in a few ways, air at higher altitudes is less dense than air at sea level, reducing its convective capability and overall heat capacity. Therefore, all electronics that rely on natural or forced convection to dissipate heat will experience greater air and component temperature rises for the same amount of power at high altitudes. According to heat coefficient formula's if my homes interior temp was the same temp as sea-level home interior temp, I would need roughly 20% more CFM to keep something like my cpu cool. I don't have a/c so my homes interior rises well above your typical 68 degree ambient room temperature, so therefore my 20% more cfm jumps even higher to now my house is so warm it sucks and I shut off all my electronics and get in my truck and hit my local watering hole. High altitude and high heat electronics do not mix all that well. This happens with my HDTV and my A/V receiver will shut-down because the air is so thin you have to have fans on high all the time move the less dense air. I'm no scientist, but thats why I'm doing a closed loop for my cpu.
      I went off on a tangent, so it seems that with the air so thin around me whatever heat that does dissapate heats up my house like ossmosis. Does the ram that you have and are O.cing increase that much in temperature over stock? What model of Ram do you have again? should I stick with the original
      32gig 1866 I mentioned above or go with something else. I want my platform fast, stable, and not cook me out. Thanks, joe

Comment

Nice area you're in, I lived in Vegas for 4 years while in the Air Force back in the 80's, got out to Tahoe a few times. I'm running the Ripjaws X 2133/CL9 F3-2133C9Q-32GXH set and no temps aren't a problem, I've run 1600 (4x4GB) sets (Snipers and Ripjaws X) at 2133 and didn't have a heat problem with them either, though if you ever worry about RAM temps, some GSkill sets come with cooling fans, and they also make a stand alone fan for purchase:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835236002

I've a few of them around but hardly ever use one unless a client want more light or something that looks fancy.

The Ares set is a good choice and I think you'd be happy with it, the next option up IMO, would be to the X series set I have or the similar Z set (F3-2133C9Q-32GZH)....if put side by side, think you'd ba able to see the difference in performance with AutoCad, and Photoshop in particular, part of which simply is one set is 1866 and the others I mention are 2133, but also the Area is CL10 compared to the 2133 X and Z sets at CL9, if you were to run the Ares at 2133, you would prob have to run them at a loose CL11 and the lower the CL the better so you'd be comparing them as like sticks as CL9 vs CL11. Also know the X's and Z's can be rock stable with timings even tighter than XMP sets, my set the base timings are rated 9-11-11-31 and I run them at 9-10-10-30 and 2200 vs 2133, I've also tighten down all the Advanced timings from the XMP setings... Hope this helps, if any more questions give me a shout, will be checking out for the evening here shortly, but will check in in the AM and off and on through the day tomorrow (most every day)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
        X