• Asus M4A78T-E and 4x4gb Sniper 8GBSR

Hi all,

My system specs are as follows:

Mobo: Asus M4A78T-E
    CPU: AMD 965BE
    Ram: 2 identical kits of G Skill Sniper 10666CL9D-8GBSR
    GPU: Sapphire Radeon 5850
    PSU: 950W Corsair Enthusiast Series

I am dual booting Ubuntu 12.04 and Win7.

I have been trying to troubleshoot random system instability for months. Some symptoms are:

-Random complete system lockups(Screen is frozen, cannot move mouse, capslock light stuck on).
    -Monitor screen will go blank as if the PC went to sleep(the light on it turns orange). PC stays on with fans running but i cant get it to respond.
    -After forcing reboots sometimes the PC will hang before it even gets to OS and i will have to restart it 2 or 3 times to get to the OS again.

The problem seems to happen more often when i start the PC up from a cold boot(such as first thing when i get off work). It seems like as soon as i change something it works the rest of the night, but the behavior comes back the next day, making it very hard to diagnose.

The behavior is the same no matter what OS i boot.

The steps i have tried:
    Swapping with a known good psu
    Running Memtest overnight - reported no errors
    Run Prime95 Torture Test - reported no errors
    Removing two sticks of RAM and running with just two
    Removing the other two sticks of RAM and running with just two
    Swapped GPU with a known good one
    RMA'd my motherboard (was running out of ideas)

Just recently i have started crawling this site trying some settings thinking it might be related to timing or voltage settings.

I attempted these settings but still have issues:

DRAM Freq = DDR3 - 1333
    CPU host/bus freq 200
    DRAM Voltage 1.5V
    CPU/NB Voltage 1.3V

Am i even on the right track here or is it far fetched that changing these settings could help? Any advice anyone could offer would be great. I have been building PCs for over 10 years and currently work as a Sys Admin and this is the first time I have ever created a forum post asking for help. I can usually find what I need by lurking .

Help me people of the internet, you are my only hope.

Do you have the latest BIOS? One thing jumps out is two sets of DRAM, even with the same model, that can be problematic, might try raising DRAM voltage to 1.55 or 1.56 and with 4 sticks may want to raise CPU/NB voltage a tad more .05 or so

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

i do have the latest bios available. I will try upping both of those and report back.

Thank you for taking the time to help me.

Comment

Not a problem, let us know how it goes

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Made that change last night when i got home from work. No crashes since! I even tried it from a cold boot after I got home from work today and it has been running smooth.
          I will reply back if i have any more problems in the coming week but it seems good!

I'm so happy it was a setting that needed tweaking and i didnt have to spend money on new components.

Thanks a ton for your help.

Comment

No problem, keep us informed, but sounds like that may have gotten it........

Tman

Comment

Working...
            X