• Show
Clear All

• ASUS P9X79 / F3-12800CL9-4GBZL - system instabilities

Dear users,

i have the following hardware:

ASUS P9X79 (latest bios: 1103)
    G.Skill F3-12800CL9-4GBZL (4x4GB)
    Intel i7 3820
    ZOTAC nVidia Geforce GTX 470 (latest driver: 301.42)

The system is running like this for over 2 months now, sometimes it crashed, but it was not very often and i didn't have the time to fix it.
    Since saturday i have to take this time, because sometimes i'm not even able to start windows.
    So from saturday on i occupied oneself with bios settings and read a few threads in this forums.
    Right now, the RAM seems stable (tested last night with MemTest86: 6 pass, 0 errors).
    I think i have the latest version, since i downloaded it a few days ago.

The settings i made can be seen in the images.
    The "important" changes i made, are
    - VCCSA (which is by default at about 0.88V and seemed quite low in comparison to other settings in this forum)
    - timings (not Auto, and REF cycle time/tRFC to 255)
    - PCIe to Gen2 instead of Gen3

The problem is that the system is not stable. Right now it is running for over an hour, but before it froze just at the login screen.
    Other symptoms are:
    - Freezes even in bios, during startup and just at any time in windows.
    - "the display driver has stopped working and has recovered" - when this happens, the pc continues working and does not freeze (just once, both happened).
    - Sometimes the graphic card-LED on the mainboard (a ASUS feature) flashes after the freeze - but not every time!
    - After a freeze i have to reset the computer and most of the times, it won't start again (the display stays black, but it gets a signal!). In this case i have to unplug the power and then start again.

In my humble opinion the RAM should be okay (because the MemTest86 didn't generate any errors). So it could be the mainboard, the graphic card or even the cpu.
    In 2 days i got the chance to test another graphic card, but till then i would be glad to hear some advice, which i could do.
    And furthermore: do the MemTest results really say, that the RAM is okay. Or could possibly the RAM be responsible for that?

Thanks for advice.

not included: CPU Power Management
    CPU Ratio: Auto
    Enhanced Intel Speed Step Technology: Enabled
    Turbo Mode: Enabled
    CPU C1E: Auto
    CPU C3 Report: Auto
    CPU C6 Report: Auto
    CPU C7 Report: Auto

EDIT: I'm just trying to run this system the normal settings - NO OC.
    Last edited by ineedagun; 05-24-2012, 09:25 AM. Reason: forgot something

What actual set(s) do you have? What you show up top (F3-12800CL9-4GBZL) would be a single 4GB stick, do you have 1 set of 4 sticks or 2 sets of 2 sticks? If you have more than 1 set/package of DRAM then XMP won't work correctly and all needs to be input manually, and may well require additional DRAM and/or VTTCPU (Memory controller) voltage

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Have you tried testing one module at a time to make sure a module is not defective?

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
        What actual set(s) do you have? What you show up top (F3-12800CL9-4GBZL) would be a single 4GB stick, do you have 1 set of 4 sticks or 2 sets of 2 sticks? If you have more than 1 set/package of DRAM then XMP won't work correctly and all needs to be input manually, and may well require additional DRAM and/or VTTCPU (Memory controller) voltage
        sorry, just copy pasted the abstract from the AI suite.
        I have the following set: [ RipjawsZ ] F3-12800CL9Q-16GBZL (4Gx4)

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
        Have you tried testing one module at a time to make sure a module is not defective?

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH
        With these settings: no.
        But MemTest86 passed with this kit. So, is it necessary to test just one module at a time, running windows / prime95?
        Thx so far.

Comment

Might check each stick, just to be sure they are good, then might try raising CPUVTT a bit (.05) maybe, what does XMP load for tRFC, you show 255, which seems high, I run a 32 GB set at 256-278

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Hey,

sorry for the late answer. The new graphics board is installed since a few days and everything works fine.
            I also set the tRFC back to Auto (i think it will switch value back to 124 or something like that) und Memtest86 still looks fine.

Thanks for the help. This issus should be solved.

Comment

Glad to hear it, keep in touch

Tman

Comment

Working...
              X