• Show
Clear All

• Asus P8Z68-V LX with G.skill Ares 1600C9-4GAO (2x4) BSOD

I Have these Hardware:

- Asus MOBO - P8Z68-V LX
    - G.Skill - Ares 1600C9-4GAO (2x4)
    - CPU i5 2400 (3.4GHz / 6MB cache )

- Windows 7 64Bit Ultimate (SP1)

this system have BSODs randomly ( every ~ 2 - 3 hours )
    and sometimes applications like firefox and others, show error messages and close, when I try to open it again, show the error and close. doing this many times, and it may run again normally after many trials !!!!!

When running the XMP profile, This doesn't fix BSODs

When running the XMP profile + Memory frequency to 1333 rather than Auto or 1600, This give some stability,,,

but still have errors through (Prime95 v272), and firefox still hangs sometimes , but not so much ( 2-3 times through 5 hours )

today morning 7:00AM I do that configurations ( running the XMP profile + Memory frequency to 1333 ) and left the windows running ,, and I come back later to find it had a restart at ~ 5:00 PM,, but I was not in front of it,, sure it was a BSOD

just before posting this thread, I run "memtest v4.20" and something strange happened!!
    I got more than 20,000 errors ( test time less than 3 minutes )

Test 1 stick at a time, and used the same Bank (memory slot) an both tests ..

1 stick gives the huge umber of errors,,, BUT the other one pass 4% with NO errors!

* Is this a clear case of a bad stick ?? and need to be replaced???

* Does I need to run more than 4% of mem-test to be sure the good one is really good ?

I read through many forums, and yours, find that many people facing this situation,, it may different in Symptoms, but all goes around UN-stable system due to RAM.

So... what's your recommendations, advice here

The Ares line is rather new and Asus may be slow on the BIOS, so first make sure you have the latest BIOS, then if same problems, I'd return for exchange or if pass the time limit, do an RMA.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for fast reply

+ I'm already updated the BIOS to latest version before posting this thread, this doesn't fix the problem.

+ I still didn't pass the time limit. and If I'll return for exchange, I want to know which model is compatible with ASUS (P8Z-V LX) MOBO ?

+ last night , I do this :
      ---- Removed the defected stick.
      ---- Run the system with the other stick ( which didn't show errors with MEMtest - passed 4% testing)
      ---- Reset the Bios to default

the system ran with 1600 Mhz normally for ~ 16 hours.. which was the longest time period running stable .. But ended with BSOD

but during these 16 hours, all applications runs completely normally.

I can't believe both sticks are defected.. what a bad luck if so

So, what you think ???

Comment

Try re-install DRAM and setup the DRAM Voltage to 1.50v.
        If the problem is not resolved, I suggest you find G.SKILL replacement new.

Comment

Can you post your BIOS settings as far as DRAM timings and system Voltages?

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Today I returned this memory kit for exchange, and got New one, same Ares model (2x4GB)
            installed it.. the Bios at default state, every thing is AUTO , did NOT use XMP profile.

run MEM-test (both sticks installed ) for 35% with NO errors

Now.. windows UP time = 12 hours ( tell the time I posted this replay ) and goes on, stable, quiet, NO error messages, No BSODssss ....

** about posting my BIOS settings and DRAM timings,, I don't want to restart for now, keeping it running for longer time.. so I can't tell you now what is the exact values currently running...

what i'm sure of for now:
            --- Bios is default state
            --- DRAM bower is 1.5v --(by Auto/default)
            --- DRAM clock = 1600 Mhz --(by Auto/default)

Here's some screen shots from CPU-z

I'll keep you updated.. and hope every thing goes fine..

Comment

Looking good! We'll be around for updates

Tman

Comment

Now it's more than 24 hours, the system running smooth and stable, stressed with many running apps , along with VMware running 2 busy workstations eating ~3GB of RAM..

and "Call of Duty - Black Ops" joined the party,, running nice

I ran Prime95 for a while , there is NO errors.

I can confirm that the problem is resolved by replacing the Damaged memory sticks with new ones.

Thank You, Tradesman

Comment

Well, I was called to Duty, and tried to respond Glad all is well, Enjoy!

Tman

Comment

Working...
                  X