Sniper ram and ASRock Extreme6 Z77 errors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sniper ram and ASRock Extreme6 Z77 errors

Using 2 sets (total of 4 sticks) of G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) ram, I get memory errors in the built in Windows 7 memory diagnostics as well as Memtest on my new build.
    I have set the memory voltage and timing in the bios to 9-9-9-24 1.25V per the ram specifications, and still get the same issue. This only seems to happen if I use all 4 slots (so far).
    Using 1 ram slot or 2 at a time, I do not seem to get the same errors. I have also used combinations of 1 and 2 sticks in alternating ram slots trying to determine if one is bad.

I had kept the timing and voltage to 'auto' and let the mb set this, and I would get memtest86 errors after only a few minutes in the above scenario. Setting it manually seems to have helped as it took overnight to finally get memtest to report an error but it did eventually. Win7 memory diag reports a problem fairly easily.

Is there something I am doing wrong? I am not an overclocker, so I have not changed any other settings in an attempt to do so.
    I am just concerned that something is defective with the RAM, CPU, or MB, or there is something I need to change in order to use all 4 ram slots.
    It should still be exchangeable by Newegg, but do not want to go through the trouble if it's just an error on my part.

Any ideas are appreciated.

- ASRock Z77 Extreme6
    - i5 3570k
    - 560 ti 1gb
    - 16gb (4x 4gb sticks) G.Skill Sniper ram
    - Corsair 650 Watt

Any time you mix sets, even of the same model it can be problematic, XMP won't work with multiple sets, don't know what set(s) you have, but would suggest setting to the freq of the set(s) and the base timings as shown on the package and the sticks themselves, then prob start at 1.3 for the DRAM Voltage and the CR (Command Rate or Command timing) at 2T or 2N (depending on the T or the N designator it uses)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I bought 2 sets of thes:
      F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2
      G.SKill Sniper Low Voltage Series 8gb (2x4gb) 240-pin DDR3 1600.

The timing and the voltage on the package was 9-9-9-24 and 1.25v. That's what I manually set it at.

I'm don't understand what this means:
      "CR (Command Rate or Command timing) at 2T or 2N (depending on the T or the N designator it uses)"

Is that on the package? How do I disable XMP? (I apologize for stupid questions)

Comment

In the BIOS you set the timings manually (there's an option to enable XMP -leave it alone or set that to Auto) CR is Command Rate or sometimes in the BIOS it shows as Command Timing the settings will be either 1 or 2 with either a T or an N next to it (some mobos use the T others use the N as a designator you will want it at 2 (i.e. 2N or 2T) opposed to a setting of 1T or 1N. Raising the DRAM voltage to 1.3 may overcome difficulties the stick may have playing together which may be the cause of the crashes

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for all your help Tradesman. Will give it a try.
          Raising to 1.3 shouldn't hurt anything correct?

Just checked and in the BIOS I don't see a way to actually disable XMP, just says auto and is loading a profile (profile 1).

CT is set to auto but shows is using 2N.

Noticed the MB recognizes the RAM at 9-9-9-28 instead of 24, but changed it manually to 24.

I guess I was hoping if I bought 2 sets of the same ram it would place nice. Guess not.

Anyway, thanks again. Will run memtest overnight and tomorrow and see what happens.

Comment

No, these will run standard 1.5 DDR3 voltage, but are designed to run lower, so no, won't hurt the sticks or anything else. Auto is good, then into DRAM config and set the base timings manual. Alot of people take that approach, actually, normally because it may cost a little less, but a four stick set, is tested to see that all 4 sticks play/work together, so a slight premium on a 4 stick set opposed to two 2 stick sets.

Tman

Comment

1.3v seems to do it. Memtest ran 20 hours without fail!
              Thanks for the info!

Hope this thread can help someone else.

Comment

Glad to hear it, keep in touch

Tman

Comment

Working...
                X