What to buy? X79 with 3930k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to buy? X79 with 3930k

I'm looking to get a quad channel 4x4 (16 GB) memory kit for a ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard paired with an i7-3930K processor. I had picked out and ordered a 1.65v kit (F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH) but after doing some research, I think I need to look at 1.5v or lower memory modules instead. I'm having a hard time figuring out what ram will work reliably with the board and the processor. There seems to be a lot of comflicting info for this board/cpu combo. This build is for stability and longevity, NOT overclocking. Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance.

Kevin

If you already have the components, make sure you have the latest BIOS, then get into the BIOS enable XMP and select the 2133 profile, then let me know how it goes, I'll be in and out till midnight anyway probably

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I haven't built the computer yet. I have a pile of parts, including the F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH kit. I would like to know if there is a gskill 4x4 quad channel kit that I can get which would run at 1.5v or less with my combination of motherboard and cpu. I'm reluctant to use the 1.65v kit that I purchased because it exceeds what the 3930k is rated for and I'm not opposed to purchasing a different kit if it would be more safe for the cpu memory voltage limits. I must stress the importance of reliability in this case as it will ultimately be used in a business situation for demonstrating a memory/cpu stressful software package. Thanks for your response!

Kevin

Comment

Most any of the 16GB sets will run fine with your rig, including the set you picked out, (if you look at others, with an X79, I'd look at the Ripjaws Z models) Intel doesn't promote OCing and the 1.5 volt limit is aimed at the stock clock speed of the CPU, with a K model CPU it is intended to OC, and in OCing to run fast sticks and large capacity sticks (4/8/16GB sticks) requires additional MC (Memory Controller) voltage so with that going up the voltage of the sticks can also be higher while maintaining the (more or less) .5 differential that they say you should maintain at 1.65 even 1.7 your still safe and they generally run cool (which is the motivating factor, more voltage generally means more heat. It's really up to you I've putting back 16GB of 2133/CL9/1.66 Snipers in my P67/2500K/4.8GHz becausing I'm pulling the 32GB set of Ripjaws X 2133/CL9 1.65 to go into a Z77/3570K build that I just starting putting together this evening, I'll prob run them at about 2400 and think they be at 1.675 or so...It's perfectly safe, as would be the sticks you have

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

If you don't want to run 1.65V, that's just fine. You can use the memory at a lower frequency, timings, and voltage.

For that kit, you can try:

DDR3-1866 9-10-9-28
          8-9-9-24
          DDR3-1600 7-8-8-24

and many other possible combinations with 1.50V

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

That's great news! I was afraid I would run into problems running the voltage lower that 1.65 to run at stock 1600 speed with that CPU but I may even try and bump it up a lil now. Thank you both for the help and info!

Kevin

Comment

No problem, let us know how all goes

Tman

Comment

Working...
              X